Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Geneva Airport
7 Posts
I suspect Geneva is a 'shared' airport, like Basel which is shared between France and Switzerland.

This presumes that there are TWO possible exits from the baggage reclaim hall - one to France and one to Switzerland. I would use a search engine to get more information on the airport. If you want to travel by car in both France and Switzerland, you might want to consider hiring from the Swiss counters of the major car rental companies, or INSISTING that the hire car already shows a Swiss MOTORWAY VIGNETTE - or you'll find yourself paying for one yourself about 40 CHF!
Alsacienne, thanks for that. After I posted this I started a google search and have looked at Geneva Airports own website, although it doesn't mention anything about the Swiss or French side.

I think what I am reading relates more to car hire which we are not planning to do. Read quite a bit about it on a ski forum. However it all sounds a little confusing :?:

Thanks anyway

SB
As far as I can recall there Geneva Airport is totally Swiss and there are no French customs at this airport (unlike Basel)
Party of four of us off skiing for a three day extravaganza soon. We've booked car hire on the French side of the airport as its over £50 cheaper. Just realised our luggage from Easyjet goes to the Swiss side. I've read on an airport forum site that you can go through to the French side and then get abaggage handler to get your bags....ummm,anyone out there done this. We might split up ...two go for the car and two for the bags and pick them up on the Swiss side. Contacted Holiday Autos...they didn't want to know.

Merged with existing thread
David HT Mod
I hope that any users of Easyjet at Geneva are aware that there is a special new computerised check in system in operation, which can drive you bonkers if you don't know how to use it!

First of all, don't try to check in before 2 hours before your flight.

DO NOT GO TO ANY CHECK IN AGENT or any queue!!

Go to a computerised machine.

The instructions for check in are by a touch sensitive screen. You touch your flight destination, then identify yourself by either your booking reference number, your name or your credit card that was used for payment.

You will then have to confirm how many pieces of baggage you intend to put in the hold, and answer the usual security questions.

The machine will then print out your baggage tag which YOU put around the handle of your suitcase.

It will then print out your boarding card ... and you can't argue with the group it gives you ... sorry!

You then take your case to the ticket agent at the regular check in desk. The queues are for all destinations. The agent weighs your baggage and then it disappears as usual, and you then proceed to security and the relevant gate.

Hope this helps to keep the blood pressure down!!
Recently travelled back to Liverpool from Geneva with Easyjet.The sprawling airport is not the best signposted.Used the self service check-in for the first time.Fairly straightforward;you just enter your confimation number on the screen,answer the usual security questions and your boarding passes are printed out while the luggage tags come out lower down.You just take your bags to the desk to be weighed and thats it.With just over two hours to go before departure we went through security and waited for our flight to come up on screen while buying overpriced bottles of juice for us all on the plane. When the flight was listed it was from section B,but as we were in C we followed the signs to B.This brought us to another security check where we were told to either consume or bin the drinks i had just paid £15 for.The staff on security were unimpressed that we were carrying duty free cigs,and must have been through the checks already.The kids were less than happy about having to give up their drinks but we still cannot work out where we went wrong. :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.