Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Single fare at that time on a weekday is €1.35 per person. Children under 2 years travel free.

You do not need the correct fare to buy a ticket at the machine. To buy tickets, tap on the
touch-screen if it is blank, then touch the 'Adulto' button followed by the 'Arroyo/Benalmadena'
button. The €1.35 fare will be shown as well as buttons for [+] [-] and [OK]. Tap the [+] one
three times if you want 4 tickets then pay in the total amount shown in either coins or notes.
The machine will give you 4 separate tickets and your change.

They take €5 or €10 denomination euro notes. The note acceptor may not be active if the
ticket machine is running low on coins to give change so it's better to have coins.

Benalmadena is the 8th stop on the line from the airport. There is an illuminated destination
board above each exit door and you get an announcement in Spanish and English as you
approach each station.

A.M.
martinl
treat yourselfs to a taxi.at least you will then ger to the door of where ytou are staying,don;t forget you have to get from trian station to hotel/appts.cost around 25 euro;s
I noticed that someone said treat yourself to taxi as you have to get taxi to hotel from train station anyway. That surely can't be 25 euros? If get train from malaga airport to benalmadena for a few euros I imagined a taxi to a local hotel would also just be a few euros, 5 or so? Any tips on this trip would be appreciated. Thought the journey by train would be good and land us at our accommodation in time to check in.
if you read the whole pages.i mean forget getting a train from airport to benalmadena.get a taxi from airport to your hotel in benalmadena.
I used the train recently. It cost me €1.35 from the airport to Arroyo/Benalmadena and €5 for a taxi
from Arroyo station to the Minerva Apartments. The cost both ways was a grand total of €12.70 so
I saved €37.30 on the cost of using airport taxis.

I bought a couple of decent meals and a few beers with that :rofl

A.M.
I'm sorry, I did read whole page but read posting as if it was continuation of train station to hotel sentence! Thanks for clarifying though.
Thanks for the recent update re train fares. Think I might be tempted with the saving if we're not too floored with the heat when we arrive, seems straightforward from what I've read, and cheap! Two weeks and counting!
Plus the trains are clean, airconditioned AND on time :wave: Hope you enjoy your stay..
Why bother with a taxi when the trains are on-time, cheap, clean and air-conditioned?! You can then get a taxi from Benalmadena to the hotel for only a few euros. :que
Have a good holiday! :sun2
The difference in cost against the time and nuisance value of catching the train and a subsequent taxi at Arroyo equates to good value (using the taxi) for me. Although I do realise that's down to indivudual preference.

To me, a saving of 38 Euros. assuming only one person travelling, isn't worth the hassle when on holiday. Compared with the overall cost of the holiday, it's peanuts and I just want to get to the resort as soon as possible when I arrive.

The sooner I ditch my luggage and get into my Speedos, (only joking - honest), the better. I just want to be on the beach, or around the pool, with a cold beer by my side. That's what I go there for - not to stand in train stations and taxi ranks.

As I say though, that's my own opinion and I respect the views posted by others.
It also depends on whether you want to start/end your holiday with a hair-raising white-knuckle ride along the N-340 :)
I hired a car from the airport in April and drove to Benalmadena for the first time. Never had the bottle before.

To be honest, it was easy, which surprised me as I had expected the N340 to be the white-knuckle experience you describe. This was in spite of peak time traffic and a contraflow system in Benalmadena.
A7/N340 in July and August is very different from April.
If you are a nervous driver I would not recommend hiring a car in peak season. Taxis are relatively cheap and buses and trains are very cheap here so weigh up the actual usage and costs of a hire car against the usage of public transport and taxis. We have had guests who have ended up using the car just to get to and from the airport after their first experience of the A7/N340. It is not for the faint hearted.
I can see both sides of this discussion.
The last few years when we've gone to La Carihuela, we've been on a package holiday and the last thing I want to do when I arrive at Malaga is to faff about with the "free" transfer dropping people off at the various hotels in and around Torremolinos, or with the train to Torre and then a taxi"¦.so we just get a taxi from the airport straight to the hotel front door"¦it cost me 20 euros last month"¦.coming home I use the coach, I couldn't care less how long it takes

But, I've got to admit that the N340 is not for the faint hearted and I sit there with my eyes closed until we get near to Torremolinos, and have to slow down because of the roundabouts....even the taxis go too fast.

We were walking on the pavement heading towards Torremolinos (just passed the Hotel Palomas) and 2 cars collided, one of them had moved into the other lane without looking and he caused an accident, but it sent them hurtling towards the pavement which is quite narrow there anyway...you've got foliage hanging over one side and trees planted on the edge of the pavement(roadside)
It happened so quickly that all we saw and heard was the last split second of the impact and then we just froze"¦..
The cars stopped within feet of us and we were 2 very lucky people, when we got to Torremolinos we both sat down and realised just how lucky we had been that day, and we were minding our own business walking on the pavement. :roll: BOTH of them were driving too fast.

August is a bad month because apart from it being peak holiday time, all the Moroccans come back into Spain, some have to spend a month out of the country and years ago we were staying in San Pedro and the traffic was horrendous.

They had sofa's and chairs tied to the roof of the car and carpets sticking out of the boot, along with fridges/beds and gawd knows what else....totally over loaded.
It was bumper to bumper and manic"¦..if you look at the statistics for accidents/deaths, August is a very bad month due to the sheer volume of traffic on the road....you've got the Spanish, the tourists and a few thousand Moroccans coming off the ferry.

Crazy....and that was just trying to cross the road. :roll: you've got to see it, to believe it.!

Sanji
August is a bad month because apart from it being peak holiday time, all the Moroccans come back into Spain, some have to spend a month out of the country and years ago we were staying in San Pedro and the traffic was horrendous.
They had sofa's and chairs tied to the roof of the car and carpets sticking out of the boot, along with fridges/beds and gawd knows what else....totally over loaded.
Sanji

Had one of those reversing back up the motorway towards me last year after they missed the A7/AP7 split by Fuengirola. They are the most dangerous things on the road at this time of year as most of them come from northern europe and have been driving non-stop to get their ferry.
At this time of year i would choose the train, then a taxi from the station to hotel/apt this way you avoid the ttraffic jams, mad drivers, sitting in the heat on the N340, better to arrive cool & calm, and only face a short journey by loacl taxi...This is easy of course 'if you have only 1 case & no children'. ;)
I wasn't actually advocating hiring a car in August, but merely saying that the driving experience wasn't as bad as I expected. As Chiv said, it's down to the confidence of the driver.

I have taken the taxi in August in the past and didn't find any problems. A lot depends on your driver.
We did it. We took the train from the airport to Benalmadena. As someone already said go upstairs in the lift from the arrival hall (to the left as you walk towards exit) and then head out onto the street and turn right. We walked along the length of the station then saw the signs for the train station. It probably took us 10 mins to get there and if my kids were small I wouldn't have done it. My two are 12 and 14 and we all wheeled our own cases there. Used the machine for tickets without any problems and then waited on the next train. We enjoyed the journey, taking in the scenery as we went. Taxi from benalmadena station to our hotel and we were sorted. Must admit on return journey we took taxi from door to airport, was in the morning and time was more important (25 euros from hotel Bali). That was our experience. We enjoyed Benalmadena though I feel the tourist trade is taken for granted in some places. Also a lot of places, cafes, shops, restaurants were closed (that was July 31-August 9). Quite sad really. wouldn't stop me from returning to spain though. Enjoy the sun too much!
we got a private taxi on our arrival at malaga into los boliches which we were glad of at the time as it was a private rental and in a resindential block, so we would have struggled to find it, cost-35euros. this was 5 weeks ago, however, we were only 5 min walk from los boliches train station, so took the train back to malaga airport for less than 5 euros for the three of us, fantastic train, apparantly, very rarely late, great aircon, all the next stops are announced in spanish and english, great.
it was, however, very crowded, so we had to stand up for the journey, no problem, our 7 yr old was fine with that.
I would definately always take the train both ways next time.
The engineering work on that line is to convert it to twin-track all
the way from Malaga Centro to Fuengirola. When completed, trains
will run every 15 minutes instead of every 30 minutes at present.
All the station platforms are being extended to take longer trains.

The next phase is to extend the line from Fuengirola to Marbella but
the date for opening the extension is in 2014 !

A.M.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.