Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Folks,

Same question, different destination, has anyone ever gotten off at Montemar Alto station?

I am planning on 'training it' on 18th of the month from the Airport. I had originally put the journey from Montemar Alto to El Tiburon hotel La Carihuela into Google earth and it gave me walking directions. I took taxis in January as it was a private rental at that time to Carihuela and wouldnt have found it, but at 40 euros total for the taxi there and back, its a bit steep for me as I'm a single parent and could have a meal/drinks with that money.

Reading this thread made me think I could take a taxi from the station to the hotel , its a 10 min downhill walk but just incase its really hot or god forbid, raining. Surely there would be a taxi rank at the station?

Thanks for your advice
Jilly
Jilly, I do not believe there is a taxi rank at either Montemar Alto, or El Pinillo. I'm all but certain that if you need a cab you either get off at Torremolinos, or stay on until Benalmadena/Arroyo de la Miel.
I'll be heading out on virtually the same route as you from the airport a fortnight later, so would appreciate if you let me know how you got on.
Tony.
Hi
Yes I've used both El Pinillo and Montemar Alto Stations.
For the hotel Tiburon, you need to get off at Montemar Alto.
There is no taxi rank any where near El Pinillo and I've never noticed one at Montemar either, but as you come out of the station at Montemar and cross towards the bridge, there is a bar, so they may be a phone in there to call for a taxi, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, unless you speak a little Spanish.

It's more than 10 minutes, but it is all downhill...I would say it's a good 15mins.
It's hard to give directions and anybody who goes in the Costa Blanca forum will know that I could take you from one end of Benidorm to the other, but remembering street names is not my forte. :duh but I can remember one of the streets that you walk down is called Calle Violin.....I'll see if I can fish out a detailed map later, but it's one of those walks that once you've done it, it's dead easy.

As you come out of the station (Montemar Alto) you cross over a little concrete area and then come to the other side of the hump of the bridge,(where the white apartments are in the photo with the tree in front of them)
You have to cross over the road ( and it's a bit tricky) and walk over the bridge on the left hand side, the traffic is sectioned away from where you walk.

Once over the hump of the bridge and just out of shot in the photo, there are some steps that lead down the embankment to the entrance of Parque La Bateria, or if you walk a little further on, there is a split on the path that leads towards the entrance ( avoiding the steps)
Take one of these options and head as though you are going into the park, just before the park entrance is a road....walk down it.

Basically you are winding down towards the beach/coast and walking through a residential area.
Whatever you do, keep heading downhill, don't walk across or in any other direction, just keep following the road downhill.

You will then come to a bit of a junction and there is a grassed triangle sort of thing that is there to keep cars apart, walk down the road with the triangle and then at the bottom turn right.
From there, just head downhill and it brings you out near Plaza del Remo and 2 minutes away from the hotel El Tiburon.

I'll look for a map ( I have one somewhere) to see if I can be a bit more explicit, but here's a photo of the bridge and the station is immediately the other side of it....like I say, you need to be walking on the side of the bridge (as seen in the photo) that looks onto the park.
HTH's...click on image to enlarge
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2552/torremolionos028ax2.th.jpg

Sanji
Sorry, I can't find a map that is detailed enough, but if you go on Google earth you can see the steps down the embankment and the road before the park entrance (Calle del Decano Antonio Seona).
You follow the road around bearing right and onto Calle Violin.
At the end of Calle Violin, turn left onto Avda Carmelo heading downhill and around the corner is this road junction with a sort of triangle and a "No Entry" sign on one side for the traffic.
If you look on Google Earth, the junction is obscured by a tree, and it's only a small road with another big tree at the bottom.

If you miss this, you will be walking for another 5 mins across the residential area on Calle de Fransico Quevedo and then finally come to a junction, turn left and head downhill into La Carihuela and eventually come out near the hotel Pez Espada....been there and done it :cry

It sounds complicated, when it really isn't and the only way you can go wrong is if you don't cut down the small road with this triangle at the top and then turn right at the bottom..from there you just follow the road around, heading downhill.

Eventually you will join Avda Carmelo at the bottom and looking at Google it seems just as easy to walk all the way on Avda Carmelo, but it's a very busy road, most of the taxi drivers and the locals use this road to get onto the N340.... by cutting through the residential area, there is hardly any traffic at all, the route is pleasant.

Personally, If I had suitcases, I would get off the train at Torremolinos and get a taxi from there, the cost will be around €6, you'll have no wheels left on the suitcase by the time to get to the hotel and you'll have no problem getting a taxi in Torremolinos, in fact if you got a taxi at Montemar Alto Station, the fare would be around €5 to the hotel Tiburon (it cost me €5 a couple of years ago from the hotel Pez Espada to El Pinillo station)
It's a pleasant walk without luggage, but loaded up, it's too far IMO.

PS: If you do decide to walk all the way down Avda Carmelo, you still have to NOT miss the short cut down the road with the "triangle" junction.
Sanji
Hi Sanji,Tony,

Thanks for your help both of you. You know what? I'm going to take your advice and either get off at Torremolinos or Arroyo and get a taxi. I went into Google Earth and they give you directions either walking or driving. If I hadn't any luggage ( we only have those weekender cases on wheels that you can put in the overheadlockers on the 'plane) but even still, will take the hassle out.

Sanji, you're a marvel, you're very observant!

Tony, I will let you know how I get on in any case.

Cheers
Jilly
Sanji is indeed to be congratulated. If there was a Most Helpful Responder of the Month award available here, she/he would win it every time!
You know what? I'm going to take your advice and either get off at Torremolinos or Arroyo and get a taxi.

Make that Torremolinos and not Benalmadena/Arroyo, the fare will be less from Torremolinos, if you stay on the train to Arroyo, you're going further passed where you need to be and paying to come back.

Glad to help

Sanji
you'll have no wheels left on the suitcase by the time to get to the hotel

Never thought about that. I was just going to take the one big case, do you think I should take two smaller cases for me and the Mrs and offer to carry one. :twisted:

Robby :wink:
Sanji,

Next question, when I get to Torremolinos stop, where do I go next to get a taxi. I think I passed the station on foot in January, there seemed to be a flight of stairs going down, can't say for certain.

Sorry for all the questions!
Jilly
Hi Jilly
On arrival at Malaga Airport, I don't think the Railway Station is signposted, so you head for the Departure lounge and go outside, the station is about a 5 min walk away and you have to walk over the bridge ( with the road below) and also up a flight of steps to the platform.

Look out for the red and white sign, it''s either a red background with a white "C" at a funny angle or two white "V's" kindda crossing or pointing at each other, if you get lost, most people will give you directions and there may be plenty of people coming off the flights who are heading for the station.
There are 2 platforms, one is to Malaga, the other to Fuenigrola...you need the platform/train going to Fuengirola

Right, most important bit, DO NOT get on the train without buying a ticket first, there are coin operated ticket machines on the platform and most of the time they take coins and notes, but I don't like putting notes into any machine anywhere, just in case it decides to keep it and I get nothing in return...so try and have a few euros coins handy or the LOWEST denomination note....I'm not sure of the cost, it's been a while since I did this route, I'm sure someone else on this forum can give you the information.
If you get on the train without a ticket, you can be charged up to 10 ten times the normal fare.

Next step: On the Fuengirola train, you get off at Torremolinos and will have you put your rail ticket through a barrier ( Like the London Underground) and then go up another flight of steps.
You come out of the station (which is underground) kindda side ways into the plaza (square) so with your back AGAINST the station head RIGHT.
At the end of the plaza, cross over the road and on your right you will see a fountain in the middle of the main road, just keep walking and a little way down from there is a taxi rank, but there is a possiblity that you'll spot a taxi before.
ALWAYS ask the price of the journey before you get into the taxi.

Now then, I've been thinking about this since my last post and I missed the sentence where you said that you'll only have the small "week-end" suitcases, which are small enough to fit in the overhead lockers on the plane, therefore we are talking about at least half the weight/size of an average sized suitcase that most people use for either a week or two week holiday.

So, having given it some thought, I'm going to present you with a dilemma....sorry :cry:
If I had just the "week-ender" sized cases and I wasn't going to be upset if the wheels ended up knackered, then I would go for the Montemar Alto option...if they collapse, cases of this size are not expensive to buy, but bearing in mind that most suitcases of whatever size, price or style, the wheels are not designed to be dragged around for miles over holes in the road and up/down kerbs.

It's a lovely walk down through the residential area and it will be pleasant to stretch your legs after the plane journey...you have to decide which you prefer.

I've had expensive cases and cheap ones, I've had "hard bodied" ones and soft ones with zips, I've had well known branded cases and cases from "woolworths".
Last year I went to an "ANTLER" outlet shop and splashed out on 2 new cases, the cost was £130 total (sale price) and they are suppose to be the dogs gonads, :lol: they are reinforced at the "stress points" and they're guaranteed for 5 years against the zips breaking, the material/stitching failing and the handle mechanism malfunctioning, but the wheels are not included in the guarantee, so, this is one of the reasons (plus weight) why I wouldn't drag them through the streets for miles or a fair distance.....
Of course the baggage handlers could :swear them up at any time, but then I would put in a claim immediately.

Sanjiiiiiiiiii
Sanji,

As usual, a gem you are, you are. I actually did some intensive searching on Google Earth etc and found a map of Malaga airport and have a good idea of where the train station is.

Am now fully equipped with the knowledge of train stations and taxi ranks, so I think I will wait to see what the weather is like when I get off the plane. I looked at a 10 day forecast, looks like rain and thunder this week, but I don't think believe much the forecasters say any more!!

Thanks again for your valued information.

Cheers Jilly,
Will let you know how I get on. Am so excited, 9 days to go.

xx
Todays weather update: poured with rain for an hour at 4am, thunderstorms too. Thick black cloud all morning, glorious sunshine all afternoon and now, 18:50 thick black cloud again.
Oh no Big Chiv, the forecast was right then? Must pack me waterproofs!

Jilly
Folks,

Here is an excellent site, you can filter on English and select Malaga Airport, there are maps of the terminals showing train station etc, I found it to be very user friendly. There is information for all types of transport to and from the Airport.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?pagename=Home&Language=EN_GB

Also see the below.
http://www.malaga-airport-guide.com/Airport-Trains.html
http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html
http://www.alicante-spain.com/costa-del-sol/malaga-airport.html
I know it says Alicante, but there is some good general info in here

And last but not least, this one is good also.
http://www.andalucia.com/travel/airports/malagatrain.htm

Jilly
Due to the extensive building work going on at Malaga airport the route to the station from the terminal has changed but it IS well signposted (signs with pictures of trains on) and as neither the station itself nor the airport terminal have moved you still go in much the same general direction. Through the carpark to a walkway to the station.
For those of you worried about cash to buy tickets you can also pay with a credit card & PIN. I think the train timetable has changed slightly and not been updated on the airport website. AFAIK Trains leave at 04 and 34 past every hour in the Fuengirola direction but stop quite early (last train 10.34PM). They are very punctual.
Hi Davemunster,

What are the AFAIK trains?

Thanks
Jilly
AFAIK = as far as I know. They are just normal trains! :)
http://www.spanish-airport-guide.com/malaga-airport-trains.html

this site is awesome.get to home page to find any airport info you need. or look on left hand side.even gives you flights info /ie times ect.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.