Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Plus the trains are on time, clean, have air condition, & all destinations are announced in English.. :)
The official website is at http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/malaga/index_horarios.html but only in Spanish. It is simple enough for a date within a month, just use the boxes on the top row.
Agree completley! The trains are comfortable, cheap and easy to use. Save your money! :sun2
We were charged 26 euros for the taxi from Benalmadena to the Airport.For a journey of less than 20 mins this amounts to around £25 which is a blatant rip-off.Next time we will jump a taxi to the station and use the train.
The airport fare has been 20-25 euros (depending on where you're picked
up / dropped off in Benalmadena) for the last few years with a surcharge
after 10:00pm.

The "rip-off", as you put it, is due to the weakness of Sterling, not the fault
of the Spanish taxi drivers.

A.M.
The station isn't very close to the coast at Carihuela/Benalmadena either.
We normally take taxi on our return trip, & the charge is normally €23-25, from Benalmadena..
Example current single train fares to/from airport are

Torremolinos €1.25
Benalmadina €1.45
Fuengirola €2.00

there is a surcharge of 10 or 15 cents on Sundays and holidays and as noted at the start the airport station is a couple of hundred yards from the terminal.
we land at 9p.m next monday,if there are no delays.will we still be o.k to get the train,at that time of night,as it will probably,be about 9.45 or 10,betime we get our luggage.we are going to benalmadena.
we would normally hire a car,but as we are only going for a week,decided against it.
thanks in advance
tracy
Last train leaves the airport just after 10:30pm so you should be ok.
Last train is half past ten, allow at least 15 minutes from baggage hall to station (trains in direction of Fuengirola). So if the plane is ontime you ought to be OK but there is little margin for delay. Make sure you have coins ready for ticket machine - you need a 3 zone ticket.
thank you,for your replies!
hopefully we will make it.can you please bare with me,as i want to try & get it straight in my head,so i sort of know,what i am doing :duh
so there are no manned ticket booths,so i need to use a machine?
also i need coins,not euro notes? will there be anywhere,to get change?
do i get a return or a single?
are things sign posted in english,and is it straight forward?
starting to panic myself,asking all these questions,hope they aren't too daft!
tracy
The ticket machines take euro coins, €5 or €10 notes, credit cards
and they give change.

They are very easy to use. If the screen is blank when you get to it,
just touch the screen to bring it back to life. Touch the "Adulto" button,
select your destination, press the [+] button (if you want more than
one ticket), and pay !

If there are other people buying tickets, stand back and see how they
do it.

A.M.
and just get singles there and back(I forget what Spanish for single is!).
and just get singles there and back(I forget what Spanish for single is!).

Ida = Single
Ida y Vuelta = return

And whatever you do, don't get on the train without first purchasing a ticket, that applies if you are resort hopping on and off the Malaga Fuengirola line because if the inspector gets on to check your ticket and you haven't one, it will cost you more than a taxi fare.
I found the machines very touch sensitive and one time I nearly programmed in the request for 4 billetes ( tickets) when I only wanted 2 ...just because I left my finger lingering too long on the pad.
"And whatever you do, don't get on the train without first purchasing a ticket, if the inspector gets on to check your ticket and you haven't one, it will cost you more than a taxi fare".

I didn't realise that. I've seen many people buying tickets on the train before and thought it was quite acceptable.
Ash
The people on the train may be buying tickets because they have been caught out, but they will be penalised for not getting one before they boarded the train, and the inspector will charge them anything from €13 each upwards, depending what mood they are in.
good to know, I often wondered what would happen if the train was just pulling into the station and I just ran for it!
thank you,it sounds really straight forward & i feel better now,after asking,my questions.
it is a last minute,extra holiday,so really didn't want the expense,of hiring a car & the train seems,an ideal way to travel,to resort.
thanks again for all your help
tracy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.