EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Molly some things that you like would also be nice ;)
:think Molly are you there now? Going in about two weeks - after all I have read am very apprehensive and been visiting for neigh on 20 years!.
~Greed, dirty, urinating on the roads, and spitting. wants to make me :cry
Gemma -
Love my true local friends and old holiday friends. Meeting new people. The sun. Meals out, and sitting near the sea watching the world go by. Just hope the shacks are up, as it is the 5th November before they allocate them (at least)

Tourism hara-kiri
Geoffrey Pond UK/Goa a letter from to-days Herald in Goad.
I cannot believe that an intrinsic part of the Goan torurism scene like the beach shacks is being tampered with and delayed. I have 4 friends arriving in Goa on Sunday and this is their first visit to Goa. I have sold them the idea of a relaxed holiday on the beach, good food, good company and good times. Sadly, that will not be the case now. Not only did they have a tough time in obtaining a visa in the UK but now they will essentially be stuck at their hotel, which is something they did not want in the first place. I am now in the embarassing position of having to explain why.
Not only is this situation a disgrace for visiting tourists but also for the local shack owners who we have grown to know and love. What about their incomes and families? The damage these tactics are causing will be irreparable to what is already likely to be a poor tourist season for Goa. When is somebody going to wake up to the realisation the Goan tourist industry is slowly commititng suicide ?
At the time of writing there are charter flights available from the UK leaving next week for a 2 week return package for £264 including taxes. I have never seen flights so cheap, it's absolute madness!

It says it all.
I've visited countries in the past, when they first opened to tourism, and the locals/business people were very welcoming. I now hear that some of those same people are getting 'greedy' and aren't so buddy buddy with their initial 'new found friends'.

Mollypoppet wrote:
Being spat at

As for spitting that happens here, in England, that I well know of. My cousin was spat on recently because she was trying to pull out of a car park space that an Asian man wanted to be in super quick! She didn't move fast enough for his liking.

So, although some people are disillusioned with what they thought was going to be their ideal retreat, cultures are different, some people change when they prosper.
Mollypoppet: What you have to remember is "longtermers" are not really welcome in Goa...how many times have you read it in the local paper.
The "majority" are blatant liars and think nothing of telling you anything to get what they want from you. As a "tweeker" you probably would not notice this.
As far as your gardeners go i'd sack them. Infact i would never ask a local to do any work in my house again.
I sometimes wish i could speak Konkani when it's obvious they are talking about you. Theres very few that were taught manners if they went to school.
As for the bingo and quiz just say NO!

Good points: It's cheap and the suns shinning....think thats it. :sun2
Mollypoppet....

Queues at Bank, post office and shops... As I've been here a little longer now it happens to me less, I guess it helps being big.. :) - If you go to the same shop again and again tell the shop keeper he'll loose your business, same with the bank!

Locals paying less, the best thing is to find a good shop that doesn't do this and stick with them! Recommend the good shops and 'dis' the bad ones...

Liars and Cheats - Unfortunately this is a result of us foreigners being too kind, they see it as easy money, unfortunately good workers are also hard to find. You could always deduct the money from their salary, or say your father/daughter has just died and see if they help out!

I've never been spat at I think... What was the situation? Try and be 'overly' polite to everyone and don't give them any reason.??

Complex neighbours - Collect rubbish and other items and stick them to his front door!

Bribes - Don't pay bribes!!! - I haven't and I won't, ok it does make life more difficult but if anyone asks for bribes try and get on video etc and contact one of the many anti corruption departments.. This can also be done for anyone charging over the labels MRP (MAXIMUM retail price), there are heavy fines involved! Any letters you send, make two copies, and get them to stamp as received your copy.

Konkani - Learn... I am getting better at understanding but terrible at speaking, try and pick out simple words and if you think it's happening learn a couple of handy words you can, mumble in reply! (makes them wonder if you can understand or not) :)
Bingo and Quiz nights - Just don't do it!!! :que No need to feel bad... :)
Workers : Perhaps we should start recommending good workers on here, plumbers, labourers, gardeners, cleaners etc - maybe some of the long stayers could get together and share and give them a good fixed salary pehaps to look after 2, 3 or 4 properties (I'm thinking of gardeners / cleaners) - just a thought.
Poiple, principal in general ok but we are a holiday site and dont want to start a free advertising campaign.

You would be surprised how many people join the forums to advertise their wares, and how sneaky they can be, in trying to hide the fact its them. :wink
Kath x
Kath, yeah I see your point although I was thinking of local workers rather than companies... :)
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/goa/A-golden-age-for-Goa/articleshow/5184736.cms

A briliant article - I am sure you will all appreciate - the happy bunnies, and the moaning minnies.
I read that earlier, and found it very interesting, it might be a good idea to put it on the main Goa forum.
xx lassi
it is on the goa forum as well. You can click on the link there to view it :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.