EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
How many Yesses do you need?

One thing I have observed time after time after 13 years here, is that people who come and do not follow the local laws, live within them and behave in accordance with them, only get away with it for so long. Often if they are on the point of leaving, a visit from a bailiff or the customs or other legal administrative service puts an end to a swift exit.

Spain and the UK are both in the EU and there are treaties of cooperation between these countries covering all sorts of matters (eg health, finance, criminal records, income tax, baby benefits, welfare etc) and you are leaving yourself open to a whole heap of trouble if the situations you mention are realities.

They aren't are they?
On the run are we Andy????
if it is not too mucj they will bad debt it but you may find it hard looking for credit later
ha ha no, owe around £2 to 3000 on credit cards etc and was just wondering what would happen if i forgot to pay before i leave, as i can sometimes be forgetful
will just right is off as a bad debt - you may have to pay later if they ask
Andy,
where do I get one of these cards? Better still, top it up to 5k and you can give me 2k when you come over. Get mine in Euros please.

Thanks
Spook
Any finance company or bank will track you down eventually.
This has happened to a relative of mine and they thought they were being clever. 6 years on (granted they are in the UK now) they have finally caught up with him and is now faced with a huge bill. Plus he is finding it extremely difficult to get credit anywhere.These big companies no longer just "write a debt off". Take my advice, don't risk it.
mibur
The Limitation Act 1980
It is unfair to pursue the debt if you have heard nothing from the creditor for 6 years.
The OFT thinks it is fair to keep trying to recover the debt if the creditor has been in regular contact with you during this time. (which they probably havent if you have been abroad)
It is unfair to mislead you by saying the debt is still legally recoverable when it isn't.
It is unfair to keep pressing for payment after you have told them you won't be paying the debt because it is statute barred.
What about my home in spain and posessions could they make me sell to pay for such a small amount as its all unsecured cash?
My partner has good credit so i dont care too much about not being able to get credit, maybe a good thing :D
Again, YES. Just pay up before you go Andy and enjoy yourself with a clear conscience.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.