Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Welcome to the site.

Crete has probably the most archaeology of all the Islands, including the splendid Knossos and the Iraklion Museum but you may find that you prefer something a little smaller and quieter, in which case I would suggest Thassos. Plenty of tavernas as well and only a 6 mile ferry ride from Kavala. A main road around the Island (bus trip?) with several smaller villages and the remains of the ancient town and theatre to investigate.

I might well have returned there this Spring if I were not off to join several other old ruins of my aquaintance in Symi but will be going back to Crete in October. I do hope the Minotaur hasn't escaped from the Maze by then.
Your requirements are pretty much in line with our own. In recent years we have found Patmos, Naxos and Lesvos to have good areas to suit. We also loved the Pelion region and parts of the Peloponesse should not be missed, in particular Monemvassia and Naplion areas. Even the touristy islands have some great historic sites like Rhodes old town. Crete has some of the best and worst resorts in Greece, avoid Malia and the area just west of Chania and there are still some very 'Greek' areas. Have a look at brochures from Greek Sun or Sunvil for the type of places you are looking for, good companies but not the cheapest.
I liked Chania old town for it's back-streets and atmosphere. Plus it's picturesque sweeping harbour, although plenty of tourist places to eat drink, attracts plenty of local folk in the evening too.Plenty to wander round and see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chania

This is the sort of back-street scene that I like
http://www.anastasia-apartments.com/AnastasiaFrame.htm

I stayed a few miles west of Crete and found no problem in eating in tavernas with few other tourists in sight. Not to mention beaches to myself. Loved it.
You've got the Paphos area of Cyprus with the mosaics and just up the road Aphrodites Pool. From Cyprus, through Louis Lines, you can do an excursion to Cairo with its Pyramids, The Sphynx, Papyrus factory and Tutan Kamun museum.On Santorini there's the villages of Akrotiri and Oia plus the volcano out in Thira bay, many people gather in Thira for the spectacular sunsets. With Zante(Zakynthos) you can take an overnight trip to Athens and also make your own way to Kefalonia(Captain Karellis mandolin), we stayed in Alykanas.

Les
Hi Paul129.

I have been going to Greece for 30 years plus, and if you are interested in archaeological sites then I would recommend Crete, especially for Knossos (like going to Egypt and not seeing the Pyramids) there is an abundance of sites in Crete, however I agree with rdv avoid places like Malia, in Northern Crete full of 18-30's and nightclubs, I suggest for a laid back holiday Plakias, Myrthos, and Aghia Galini all on the south coast much prettier and certainly quieter. Of course you could always go to the Greek mainland to Mt Olympus outside Athens the museum there is awesome with some of the greatest treasures that have been found in Greece, and the Acropolis.Wherever you choose to go I'm sure you will have a lovely time.
a fair few archaeological sites on Kos as well the most famous is the Asplenium nr kos town
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.