Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Thanks Ozziebird, that's such a brilliant idea, I just had to post to say so!

I'm certainly going to do that on my next trip to Cyprus!

Cheers!
Yes...we used the scented nappy bags this year in Greece. Used to use plastic lunch bags. Didn't know you could get the scented nappy bags....mine used those horrible terry towelling nappies..showing my age here!!! :lol:
We used nappy sacks in Zante year before last.
We did have a little one (19months still in nappies most of the time)too so they got used alot.
I think my husband would have held it in for 2 weeks without!

We still always seem to need them in case of mishaps, great for keeping wet knickers in!!! :roll:

Pam, I used to use terry nappies at home.
Tried to do a bit for the enviroment.
There are some good shaped ones available and are great but cost alot in the first place and are more work than disposiables.
When I sold my terry's to a couple at the car boot, they were grandparents and couldn't get on with the "new things" I was so glad they went to a good home!
Thanks for the tip, never thought of that before. I buy nappy sacs to pick up after my dog when I take her out walking so I shall be slipping a box into my case when my hols come around :D

Shell :D
just flush the paper down the loo i always have, sorry just cant do it :oops:
:tut Ah Fizz, you are a very naughty girl!

Shell :wink:
naughty but nice shell :lol:
Fizz - so you're the girl who blocked my loo in Rhodes!!! :lol:

Dawn
The only problems we have had with the drains is where people ignore the fact that they cannot cope with the toilet paper.
Every hotel we have been in has been hot on changing the bins and quite honestly it has not really been an inconvenience. What is an inconvenience is wading round in the stuff because some idiot can't abide by the rules.

AND they are normally the ones moaning the loudest.

Don't forget many of the turkish toilets have a little pipe which delivers cold water to the nether regions (taps on the wall behind you!).
Personally I've never had a problem putting my paper in the bin, to me it's no different dropping it in there to putting it down the toilet.

Shell :D
I've had 5 holidays in Turkey now and I've never yet stayed in a hotel that required you to put your paper in a bin. I've only experienced this in public loos in Turkey. I think most 4 and 5 star hotels have plumbing that can cope wuth the paper.

Bridd
Have to admit i was a bit shocked on my first holiday to cyprus last year to find i had to put the toilet paper in the bin.....but im sorry to say i just couldn't do it and put it down the toilet, but there was never a problem!

The nappy bags are a brilliant idea though as i did feel guilty about putting it down the toilet, i will definatly take some with me next time i go.
When the drains block up and have to worked upon, it is pretty (npi) obvious what has caused the problem.
The toilets can take it it is further down the line where the problems occur.
I didn't tell my husband about not putting the paper down the loo, he would have freaked :shock:
The rep told us all on the bus! :lol:

It didn't mention anything in the brochure though, do you think it would put people off :?: :lol:
Can't say I like the idea of not being able to flush toilet paper down the loo but we used the scented nappy bags for disposal when we stayed in a rented apartment in Cyprus a couple of years ago as we'd been forewarned that their sewage system couldn't cope and a sign in the apartment confirmed this. However, I was surprised to find a sign in the bathroom of our rented apartment on a 4 star complex in the Algarve last summer saying the sewage system in Portugal isn't up to the same standard as most EU countries and requesting us not to flush toilet paper down the loo there either. I'd never heard this from anyone I knew who had been to the Algarve before and after asking a couple of other holidaymakers on the same complex, they confirmed that there was no such request in their apartment so I have to admit we chose to ignore it this time. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this particular downside to a holiday in the Algarve as I don't know whether it was a case of the owners of our apartment being over-zealous or just more honest than some others ? It's not exactly a selling point after all.
  • Edited by Robbo11 2005-02-03 00:21:42
we stayed in a villa in the algarve, and was told that if we didnt put our paper in the bins then we would have a big problem because there system couldnt cope with it so we did, but when staying in hotels in spain cyprus, ive always flushed it down the loo, i suppose hotels are better to cope with it.
fizzxx
#I don't understand why it puts people off. You have to put the paper in the bin instead of down the toilet, big deal!
As already mentioned - there are small taps in turkish toilets, which the turks use before wiping so that the they do not use much paper and the paper is not too dirty, therefore the paper is not badly soiled and the bin does not smell.
Its not where it puts me off, Yeh, I dont like the thought of it, but if you are a family of 5 inc 3 young kids and the bin fills quickly and if one has the runs etc, it lies in the heat all day and apart from a possible smell/attracts flies, I think by using the nappy sacks its a far nicer way for the poor cleaner to remove them come cleaning day (different seeing to your own than dealing with strangers IYSWIM) :D , unfortunately we as yet have never had a self catering apartment with one of those taps, and last time we visited Turkey the maids thought it was an excellent idea :D

If people are comfortable using bins then 'no big Deal' and if they choose nappy sacks then no big Deal either, everyone to their own way and what they are happy with, this was only a tip I wanted to share that I personally found useful ( its probably mentioned loads on the site anyhow :D ) esp having 3 young kids who arnt used to things like this :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.