Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gullet Cruise
17 Posts
Check out V-Go Gulet cruises they have different routes with longer or shorter trips. I have had friends use this company and were pleased with their trip. Here is there web-site.

http://www.bluecruisesturkey.com/v-go_yachting.html

http://www.bluecruisesturkey.com/boatcruise_bluecruise.html

Katia in their head office of Fethiye has been very helpful in the past. Maybe give her a call - Katia Van Bocxlaer (tel: 90-252-612-2113 ).
i can recommend the above company they do a grand job
last time we went to turkey we did a one day gulet cruise which my husband and i loved. this year we did a boat trip on the dalyan river, this time the kids were with us too. we all enjoyed that day but now my husband wants to do a week long gulet cruise next year, i am unsure how suitable it is for the children. I've found a boat we could charter for just us, there would be myself, my husband, 2 x 15 year old girls, 11 year old boy and 9 year old boy. Any comments would be welcome in the next couple of months before we book anything. I still think we would be better booking a hotel and just doing a 1 day trip with them.
I've done 3 week long gulet cruises and I love em. Just love em! My boyfriend and I are going to book up for a two week cruise next year.

You don't see many children on them to be honest, and that's only when you charter your own boat. However, those I've known who have taken children they have loved it. If you are chartering your own boat you can negotiate with the captain whether you spend more time in sheltered coves or more time moored up in towns, harbours or villages. I don't know of anyone who has been on a gulet trip who hasn't loved it. Those I met on my first one 2 years ago (a singles holiday so had never met any of them before) all booked up again for the next year, and most have also done so for this year as well, with all intentions of repeating the experience for the next year.

If your kids love jumping in and out of the water, snorkeling etc. then Im' sure they will enjoy. It would be helpful if they also like reading and lounging about because apart from the water there isn't a great deal else to do (hence you might wish to visit more in the way of towns rather than be out on quiet bays more). Even on a luxury gulet you can only charge electrical items whilst the generator is on and this is no more than an hour or two each day - again speak to the captain if you need something charging and he will do his best to help. I'm thinking if the kids have gameboys or something.

I have always done day trips on boats but going for a week or even just a few days is just wonderful. Bear in mind with kids if they are fussy eaters who only do chicken nuggets they will probably go hungry though! That is something to bear in mind. Also icecreams you can only get them if you're in a port to buy some or if the icecream boat comes around - on the trips I've been to we only saw one twice this year, but last year and year before every day sometimes twice a day.

It's the most chilling relaxing holiday and the crew will look after you. I defy any stressed out person to go on a gulet cruise not to instantly destress on day one. Go for it I say.
thank you for replying. the kids are all strong swimmers and not fussy about what they eat at all, except none of them will touch a chicken nugget - the jamie oliver influence i think. That's a good point about asking to visit busier places, I hadn't really thought about where we might visit as i was thinking it would be a set route. the electrical charging could be a problem, what with phones, gameboys and camera batteries, i guess i could turn my mobile off for a week, eek!
They do run to set routes, most specifically for start and finish points, but there has always been some leeway and discussion on the ones I've been on. For instance last year none of us wanted to moor up in a town, preferring to be in quiet bays - so we didn't. This year a few of our fellow travellers wanted to go offshore so we moored in Marmaris for a night so some could go out on the town (or stay on board the choice is entirely yours) and we also visited Fetiyhe for a couple of hours one morning and a smaller village/port later in the week, again just for a couple of hours. It's your holiday and the captain will do his best to fit in with what you wish to do during your holiday.

Another thing is you really feel quite special having a boat all to yourselves, when all you've ever done before is be part of a boat trip. I'm sure your children will love the food then. All fresh, salads and vegetables and things like chicken, meatballs, fish etc. We had steak one night cooked on the barbecue on the boat. Fruit in abundance also, particularly for us melon and cherries.
can i ask what company or companies you have used for your trips, and would you recommend them?
Well I've never done a charter (ie the whole boat), and I really don't know the best people to choose for that for price and whatever else.

My first two trips were with Friendship Travel which is a singles holiday company, so my gulet companions were like minded single people (having a double cabin to ourselves, not sharing), mixed ages and backgrounds and that got me hooked.

This year with my boyfriend we used a company called Blue Cruise and they were excellent. They use luxury gulets as opposed to the standard gulets that I've been used to. Extras included slightly roomier cabins, more seating areas on deck, a hammock, and shower cubicle in the ensuite (rather than a hand held shower that soaks the whole room in a standard) and hairdryer (not used, got used to two years of not being able to so didn't bother with it) and air con in the cabins (only switched on at certain times, not available overnight).

It is basic, but wonderful and that's the spirit of a gulet holiday, if you want a luxury cruise then go on a big ship. The other guests were three couples and a single girl.

I would recommend them (and they do charter gulets privately), very professional, airport picks up and transfers very well done (you'll get a taxi or minibus transfer, none of this going on coaches malarkey). I think you're best doing a search and just making a decision - it's one area of holidaying that doesn't seem to have much in the way of reviews, however much you search. Fellow guests on there this was their fifth time of using blue cruise though, and they've done gulet trips for 20 years. There are many companies who do it and you'd be hard pressed to get a bad experience in my opinion.
thanks again for your help, i am getting more and more tempted by the idea. I showed the boys some pictures tonight of a 4 cabined luxury gulet i found and they really liked it and reckoned they would enjoy a week on board, my daughter however is a little anti the idea at the moment, so we may need to talk her around.
these boat trips are wonderful, but please please make sure that you can swim, my sister inlaw went on a week trip last saturday,and tuesday night in the early hrs of the morning she went up to the top deck to cool off and to sleep, and she must of tripped and fell in,you dont have anyone on watch, everyone was asleep, so nobody heard her fall into the water, i wouldnt want my children on one of these boats, no she didnt survive, we are waiting for her body to be sent home,if you are going on one of these holidays and with children please take care,and make sure you and your family can swim
So So sorry to read that report Jill. My thoughts and Prayers are with you and ALL your family. Anna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:cry: So so sorry to read your report Jill

Thinking off you all at this sad time

Our prayers are with you and your family

Take Care Marion Family x
There can be no better way to relax than on a gulet cruise.....
I'm sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but Jill I am very sorry that this happened. Absolutely tragic.

At least one member of the crew will always be asleep on deck, but that's just it, in the middle of the night it might not be heard. The sides of the decks on gulets are quite low and as such great care must be taken. I would only recommend for children if they are swimmers, and to be honest for adults too, though if I was a non swimmer it wouldn't be my kind of holiday - there must always be that fear that you will fall in.

Please folks don't let this put you off!
Any holiday death, or serious injury for that matter is tragic. A friend of mine died in Side on her first ever holiday in Turkey in June. Her appendix burst which lead to peritonitus.

I am more than a little surprised that anyone could fall overboard and not be heard on a gulet. Sound travels so well that any cry for help would surely arouse someone.

You would have to be unconscious as you hit the water, or dead drunk, to be unable to shout and scream.

This unfortunate lady may have slipped and knocked herself out before falling in if nothing was heard.

Gulets are not soundproofed - you can hear everything - including snores, toilets and the regular calls to prayer from miles away.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.