Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gumbet Turkey?
36 Posts
Good choice :tup

Plenty to keep you occupied in Bar Street in Gumbet or more laid back bars just away from Bar Street. Great choice of restaurants too.

If you then fancy some different scenery and more choice for shopping or evenings out, you can hop on a Dolmus to Bodrum and be there in 20 mins max :sun2
Is it the best place to go? Online its had mixed reviews...
ash21,

You might find members Resort Reports useful.

Darren
Gumbet is a lovely resort, plenty of nightlife, lots of bars and music bars, not big clubs as such but then you are only 10 minutes away from Bodrum and there are a couple of big clubs there.

The beach is nice, plenty of watersports and there are some good day trips too, you may enjoy a boat trip or a jeep safari. The town is not old, buut is buit n a traditional style. They are renovating a lot of it this year so it should look a bit smarter once they have finished.

If you after a fun but not completely wild place the I think Gumbet would be a great place for you to go. You will always get mixed reviews anywhere you go as no place will ever keep every single person happy but I think you will enjoy it.

Kedi
Thanks for your replies I am getting more and more confident in the area now :>
Go to Gumbet - I'm sure you'll love it. It caters for all ages. Yes it is more traditionally Turkish in style than say Marmaris but it's just as good (well better in my opinion though loads of folk would agree with me). You can also go into Bodrum for a change of nightlife (10 minutes at most by dolmus).

It's dead easy to get round the whole of the Bodrum peninsula so you can keep yourself occupied during the day if lazing on the beach gets too much for you.

Enjoy!!

JAK xx
Read few of these Marmaris vs Gumbet topics and most say that Marmaris is bigger has more to do and is more resort like then Gumbet and that might be what I am looking for really, is it worth while or is Gumbet still best option?
Marmaris is a lot bigger but I would still say Gumbet is what you are looking for. Gumbet is absolutely a resort anyway, it is only open for tourist season. The good thing about Gumbet is that you are close to Bodrum as I mentioned before and that has a great nightlife too.
Ok thanks for that, during the day are there any attractions to visit? Go-carting? Water parks? Crazy Golf :> Anything like that?
Marmaris is very popular but I'm not sure it's a good intro to Turkey :tup Too many people go there for their first Turkish holiday and say they wont go back to Turkey, silly to base that on visting just one resort and writing a country off :duh

We've been to many Turkish resorts and my friend & I did our first time to Gumbet last October, we loved it, so much so we're already booked up for June and October this year :cheers I think that says it all.......I understand why people fall in love with the place, especially with Bodrum on your doorstep............well 20 mins as I said which is how long it took us from the far end of the beach (Tropicana) during the day. In the evening we got a taxi and that was 10 mins max.

There's a Go kart track right on the beach front near the far end of the beach heading towards the harbour. Great boat trips from the harbour at Gumbet too & lots of nice places to visit around the area if you want to for a change of scenery. We visited Bitez with some girls we met on one of our boat trips and the beach there was lovely..........in fact we stayed all day and didn't get home until midnight :rofl
The OP does seem to suggest they're looking for a club 18-30 type of holiday, in which case I'd say Marmaris would be right up their street!
Yes, there is go karting and there is a good water park nearby too. There used to be crazy golf along the front but I'm not sure if it is there now.

Have you decided on accomodation yet?
Yes I think here

hotelsunclub . net
It is a nice hotel, right on the beach and right on the edge of bar street too so a pefect location.
Ok thanks for that, I just have 1 other question Gumbet / Tureky its self, so Gumbet is a Holiday resort? i.e mostly hotels and so on, and this may seem an odd question but are the Turkish people there highly religious? Or is that out of the city?
Gumbet is a holidy resort, during the summer everything is open but during the winter it is a bit like a ghost town as there aren't so many people living there. The people who work there for the tourist season are not highly religious, you may get some older religious people who live there but they are all pretty tolerant too. There is no mosque in Gumbet itself but you may hear the call to prayer from the outskirts of the town or if you go into Bodrum.

You certanly wont notice religion in day to day life in Gumbet or Bodrum and most of the Turkish people you encounter will drink, smoke, go to bars etc just like everyone else.
Thanks for the info, I will book it on Monday :> Wooooooo!
I'm so glad that you've stuck with Gumbet and not changed your mind. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Don't forget to do a boat trip while you're there - look for one of the livelier ones, a great day out. The Sun Club is in an ideal location for you - just at the bottom of Bar St so you can roll home LOL!!

The Turkish people are really friendly and you'll have a great time.

... And now the boring old mum is going to come out in me here. Don't forget that in July it will be very hot so during the day, go easy on the alcohol and make sure you drink plenty of water or juice and then you can enjoy yourself in the evening.

JAK xx
Glad to have helped. If there is anything else you want to know just ask :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.