Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
HAIR BRAIDING
22 Posts
This is because they are now getting fined 600 euro if they get caught.

Only 600 euros.? what a shame, I`d make it 600,000 and put them back on a boat.

SanJi x
My advise is to get it done at the market, where I think they must pay for their plot to do it in.

Not only will they have paid for the plot, but they will have residency papers and therefore be able to legally work.
The ones who run are illegal immigrants.

SanJi x
Don't do it anyway. One of my kids got stripes sunburnt into her head and was flaking for weeks :shock: Try getting them to put suncream on their hair, no chance :lol:
Don't do it anyway. One of my kids got stripes sunburnt into her head and was flaking for weeks Try getting them to put suncream on their hair, no chance

Excellent advice Colin....yes tender young scalps exposed to the sun will burn very easily..... and who thinks of putting suncream in their hair.?

I`ve also seen kids walking around with an headache from the braiding being too tight, but as the kids have nagged mum/dad for it done.....they become "sulky" and suffer in silence. :wink:

SanJi x
also, if your kids are nagging you for a henna tattoo, then why not go to the local shop instead and buy a packet of cheetos (crisps) , as you recieve a free tribal tattoo inside, much cheaper , and safer that a henna tattoo :lol:
You can also buy them in the "Cheep n Chattie" shops. Much safer than Henna as a lot of people have allergies to henna and I don't htink the tatooist would be bothered in doing a patch test which you have to leave for 24 hours anyway.
Morning everyone. Off to Benidorm at the end of June and I was just wondering if there are people on the streets braiding hair? I've had mine done in Salou and also in Majorca and would love it done again on holiday
Hi Claire, You don't really see them on the street doing full braiding, only the little braids that children have.

My daughter had a half head braid the other year. It was at a shoe shop in the indoor market run by an African family. The lady spent quite a lot of time on it and did a really good job. She didn't do it there and then, we had to make an appointment and go back early the next day.

Sue :)
Africans doing braiding in the square, but don't pay them until the job is done because if the police appear then they run, and you have to run with them to get the job completed. :wink:
Don't know if it is full braiding they do...never stuck around long enough to find out.

Sanji
There used to be a hairdressers near the yellow brick road....there was an african woman doing it there and also in the hairdessers near the indoor market....it's not cheap though I was quoted £140 euro for my daughter who has hair just below her shoulders
thats great everyone, thanks for your help :D
I think that we paid about €25-30 for our daughters hair doing.

There is a hairdressers in the far corner of the indoor market (inside a shoe shop). There are lots of pictures outsied of different braiding styles and our daughter picked one which was really unusual
The woman who did it was lovely. She charges 20 eurs for a half head, 50 euros for a full head and if you have short hair and want braided extensions they are 180 euros for a full set
I can higly recommend her as everyone back home has remarked on the design and that they haven't seen anything like it before.
The market is open from 10-7 daily and I assume you could book in advance if you wish but we just walked in as no-one was waiting
Hope this helps
Kay that's the one that we used and our daughter was also very pleased with the outcome. They stayed in for ages too.

If they rush them and don't do them tight enough they tend to come out in days.

Perhaps we also paid €20 euros, I thought that it was a bit more but I could be wrong. I also think that the price depends on the length of the hair but she seems very reasonable.

Oh, The market is not open daily, I';m pretty sure that it is closed all day Sunday and only opens limited hours on a Saturday.

There's a hairdressers on the Avda Mediterraneo between the Hotel Riudor and the Hotel Don Pancho.
The hairdressers is set back behind the shop which sells things like tablecloths and bra's.
They have a board displaying pictures of all the different styles of braiding, including full heads.
Sorry, don't know the price, but just thought I would let you know.

Sanji
Hi all,
We go to the Flamingo Oasis on July 3rd (can't wait)

My 4yr old daughters school friend has just returned from holiday and had corn rows braided into the front of her hair. So....my daughter now wants them too!!

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences of having these braided into hair - they look quite tight and I wondered if they can be uncomfortable or damage the hair. I know that sun protection will be required for the scalp too.

And....if I do decide to let her have it done are there any braiders in Benidorm?

Cheers
Fitzmum

EDIT: Merged with existing topic
David HT Mod
Hiya
I had my hair braided in Majorca last year and might get it done in Benidorm next week (we are going tomorrow!) It was uncomfortable when the woman did it and it did feel very tight and a bit sore for the first couple of days. However, because my hair is quite thick it seemed to keep me cool and kept my hair off my face.
I know some people have had bad experiences before but it didn't do my hair any harm but I'm not sure to recommend it to a youngster of that age
Hi,
I am a hairdresser by trade.(retired)
If this is done when the hair is wet and it is put in tight, the hair shrinks when it dries so may well pull on the scalp causing headaches.
I've never seen how they do this in Benidorm, but when I used to do it, I just sprayed the hair so it was slightly damp so when it dried didn't cause any discomfort.
You could ask the lady who does this to spray the hair rather than wet it or alternatevely do it on dry hair.
I had mine done in the Dominican and she did it dry and I never had any problems HOWEVER please, don't forget to apply sunscreen on the exposed scalp!!!!! A burnt head is not nice.
To wash hair, stand in the shower, wet hair, rub shampoo into hands then smooth over braids, rinse and thats it.

Cazz. XX
Forgot to say there is a lady braids hair in a shop between the indoor market and The Ocas.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.