General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Most of the smaller cabin trolley cases/bags have a strap attached to the back which slips over the handle of your suitcase and rests securely against it this works perfectly for us...... :tup

Just be very aware of what small case you use for hand luggage as you would be shocked at what some of them weigh empty :yikes Which gives you less kg for packing :(
Dawnlee wrote:
if we get the trollies we can combine our weight and it could hold 10kg
Be careful about combining your allowance into one bag - most airlines have restrictions on the size and weight of carry-on bags - it has to be a "safe" weight to go into the overhead locker.
Dawnlee,

I took two suitcases to Antigua with me in March; one for clothing and one for diving equipment (since I had 46kg of hold allowance :tup ). It's not easy pulling / pushing two suitcases. It might not be too bad when they are lighter, but mine were 18kg and 15kg, it's awkward to say the least. 5kg in a backpack isn't a problem, I'd do that over taking an extra (small) case. I regularly have over 5kg of camera equipment in a backpack. As long as it's suitable for the job, it'll be fine. As Miss_Chief1 says, the 'dry' weight of a trolly would mean you'll have less weight to play with.

Darren
Thanks for your help i think i will go for the back pack

Cheers
I regularly take 2 identical cases to Cuba with me, each weighing close to 15kgs and don't find it a problem pushing them but they are the sort with 4 wheels, ie a wheel on each corner so they sit upright and I just push them along in front of me - one on each hand. Didn't consciously buy them for this reason but I'm now a convert and will avoid cases which have just two wheels in future!

But as Darren says, 5kgs in a back pack is very manageable and in your situation is probably the best option.

SM
We have Antler rucksacks which weigh very little when empty.

We were recently looking at cabin baggage sized trolley cases for a trip to Barcelona but we realized that the wheels and handle actually put a fair bit of weight on BEFORE you even start packing.

Our limit on RyanAir was 10kgs each and we managed to pack enough for 4 days into our rucksacks at 6kgs and 6.5 kgs.
We didn't have any problem in slinging them on our backs.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.