Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
.......talk about doing it the hard way....... :roll: ....at this time of year a proper camper van can be just as cheap...but now you've done it, the best advice I can give you is to get the best magazine on the subject - Motorcaravan and Motorhome Monthly. Apart from anything else, its full of ads for converters, parts, insurers, etc, as well as good info and advice. Its also online at http://www.mmmonline.co.uk
Theres also lots of camper websites, forums, etc that can not only help with the vehicle, but with your planned trip, also.
We like our own camper van very much - VW T4 - and I'm sure that you will too.....eventually......and if you don't get caught driving uninsured...... :roll:
Thanks sunowner will check the magazine and website etc out.
Got the minibus for £531 as no reserve and not many bidding for this sort of thing at this time of year and not seen any campers that cheap!
......fair enough, not many £500 campers....but by the time you've bought all the bits and pieces to convert it, even to a basic standard, you will have spent enough to have got a proper one in the first place - with the added benefit of being able sell it on in the future; a "proper" camper will meet certain standards for the construction, insulation, gas, electric and water systems, etc.
But good luck to you anyway...there will be a good deal of satisfaction in finally seeing - and using - the finished product.
At the risk of being clobbered by Briar

You may find there are more dedicated groups for Motorhome owners and where you may get advice on conversions

I will add that conversion is NOT an easy thing you can find all sorts of pitfalls
You probably would be better off buying a cheap ready made one of eBay and then flogging it at the end of your trip say in Turkey or Bulgaria where you will get a buyer quite rapidly according to stories coming out of that neck of the woods
MMM is the fount of all knowledge regarding Motor-vans.
There is a club "The Motor Caravan Club"(!) and they have a booklet all about DIY.

It is not a good idea for the reasons already set out.

Load balance, gas piping, water tanks- choice of toilet safety of seats and seat-belts.

The list is endless, and the re-sale value will be much lower than a 'known' brand. It is a shame that proper motorcaravans seem to be going down the "gold-tap" route. Each one adds pounds and pounds to the list price.

Good luck- but I'd advise re-thinking the project!

Techy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.