Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Like the UK Greece is part of the EU so there is no such thing as duty free. On personal experience it is a bit hectic doing any shopping at Heraklion airport. You may find it cheaper to buy your goods in resort as they are already "Duty Paid" there is no allowance, so you can bring a lot more back into the UK.
to clarify the point Greece is an EU country technically you can bring back as much duty paid goods as you fancy...IN practice the GB customs set a limit of 3200 fags per person (over that you must be able to prove is for your own use),, fag prices are the same all over Greece as they are set by the government (unless you are lucky to find old stock) latest current price as a guide ..superking black/blue 2.70 eu per pack L£B blue/silver 2.60 eu per pack there is no discount for buying sticks (200 in a wrap)

wizard
Thanks for your info guys, maybe my terminology was wrong i totally understand the duty thing but can i buy cigerettes and drink in heraklion airport on the way home after checking my bags in? am getting confused as some people are saying you cant do that on the way home but i think you can?
thanks again :wink:
yep you can buy your booze and cigs in the airport after checking in no problem, but be warned the duty free shop is usually pandemonium and not very pleasant as we have experienced, best avoided!!
much better to buy all you need in resort and even cheaper than the duty free shop, we usually buy cartons of 1,000 cigs, average about 25 euros for 200 lambert and butler last year.
I would also you take some water with you from resort, it can get very hot in the departure area.
Thank you very much peeps,

als o thanks for the water advice totally understand as have been to numerous greek airports ( crazy) :lol:
I went through Heraklion airport last week and bought 200 cigs (Camel Light) for around 26 euros. As has been said, the shop in our hotel sold them for the same price. So 'dutyfree' at the airport only any good if you forget to buy something.

Heraklion probably rates as the worst airport I've been to (although only experience of one other Greek airport, Chania). No seats available and there wasn't even any delays! Can you imagine if there was?

It was torture, just wanted to get out of there. :lol: Next time I wouln't go through Security till later.
totally agree with you !! never been through such an horrendous airport in our lives , check in started in the car park but hey we managed to some tiny floor space under the stairs in departures lol. a seething mass of humanity in a small space !! didnt put us off though as we are going back in august this year, a small price to pay for such a beautiful island :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.