Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
The Viva Tropic is in the port area of Alcudia and the Viva Blue is in Playa de Muro, about 5 kilometres away. The main difference, apart from their locations, would probably be that the Viva Blue is a bit more upmarket. You would also be a bit closer to the beach at the Blue. Playa de Muro has less in the way of bars and restaurants than Alcudia, but there are still some good enough places. The Viva Tropic would require a bit of a walk into the actual port, but that said it is barely 5 minutes. Playa de Muro has no centre as such, bars etc for the most part straddle the main road running by the beach.
That is so helpful - thank you.

If you had the choice where would you go - I am leaning towards the Blue ....

SARA
Personally ... I'd agree. The Viva Tropic is a perfectly decent family hotel with a good reputation, but the Viva Blue is a class above. Lovely gardens inside the complex and there is a plaque in reception that commends the hotel for its quality.
Forgot to say. There is the mosquito issue at the Viva Blue. It's right next to the Albufera wetlands and so there can be a problem but if you have plug-ins for rooms and lotions for the evenings this will reduce some of the problem. Mosquitoes are less of a problem in the port area but quite honestly you can get them anywhere around Alcudia
Is the problem all year through - or will we be going at a bad time as I am sure my mother in law suffers ...

are plug ins and sprays enough...

Will it spoil the holliday?

Thanks for your help much appreciated.

Sara
Sara. Mosquitoes can be around more or less any time of year, even in the winter you get the odd one lurking in a bedroom. The past couple of years, the bad period has tended to be from about now till end of June. The high summer has been less of a problem but they have made a comeback in the autumn. Personally I don't suffer too much, and I live next to Albufera, but maybe that's just me. Plug-ins do work in my experience as do some of the sprays for when you are out and about. As I said before, you get mosquitoes in mostly all of Alcudia and nearby, such as in Puerto Pollensa.
On your other thread while I'm here. There is a bar called Posh Paddy that has a live act every evening. Places like The Swan cater more for a family entertainment. But yes there is entertainment, but Playa de Muro is a fairly low-key place. Restaurants are ok, nothing out of this world but pretty good value. Restaurant Boy does seriously big portions for instance. The variety is not great, a number of grill places, an Italian and a smattering of Chinese. To describe the resort as "romantic" would be pushing it. It is effectively a purpose-built resort either side of the main road and that's it. What it has going for it is that it is relaxed and has a terrific beach, and if you happen to like wildlife etc then Albufera is the biggest nature park on the island.
If you want more in terms of variety, then Alcudia would probably be a better bet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.