Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Suggest that you read the following posts for a start:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=119306

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=119109 (Albena prices tend to be slightly higher than Sunny Beach, but will give you some idea.)

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=119107

Baldur
hiya, i didnt have kids with me but can gove you some info on the food and fags etc...

we went to a few resaraunts and got a few beers and food, most places was around 20lev for 2 courses and a few drinks. but i know there are a few places that are more expensive. you can get a large beer for 1 lev in some places and up to 3 lev other places, fags are cheap, i got 200 lambert and bulter for 30 lev, which works out at around £1.20 for a pack of 20.

the aqua park in sunny beach was 30 lev for an adult, cant honestly tell you the price for kids but still cheap.

hope that helped
Hi Angela,

Glad to hear that you had a good time.

the aqua park in sunny beach was 30 lev for an adult, cant honestly tell you the price for kids but still cheap.

That's dearer than the daily rate currently advertised on their website, 28 Leva per adult over 1.3 metres, children 0.9 - 1.3 metres 16 Leva.

Half-day tickets 20 Leva per adult over 1.3 metres, children 0.9 - 1.3 metres 10 Leva

See Action Aquapark.

Baldur
hiya Baldur,

we booked the tickets through the rep, so they might have taken a commision. but at least we didnt have to wait in the huge queue to get the tickets, we just walked in.
so they might have taken a commision

Sounds highly likely.
another little thing id forgotten about... the Mc Donalds in Sunny Beach are a tad expensive... worked out at just ober £8 for a big mac meal
Thanks for the useful info keep them coming...
Dear Baldur there's a lot of people around my area whom already been for holidays in Sunny Beach and they're telling me things I don't like to believe...for instance someone told me that they paid a staggering £25 GBP for steak and chips...I'm quite positive they're taking me for a ride,but a word from you would be great about this topic.
Do they mean each? We were lucky if we spent £25 on a whole meal for two with lots of drinks. Though steak did often seem to be the most expensive thing on the menu (and sometimes I'm not even sure it was steak but rather veal). But my OH often had it and we didn't pay that. If what they are saying IS true, they must have been happy to pay it or why did they order it :que . And if not why not walk and out go elsewhere? Anyway, we go to SB it is cheap (and because we like it of course :cheers ) so I wouldn't worry. Like everything in life, only spend what you can afford and keep track of it so you don't get any nasty surprises when you get home :tup
Hi juventino74,

for instance someone told me that they paid a staggering £25 GBP for steak and chips

I can't really help you on things like steak & chips, as it's not something that Bulgarians eat, it's a 'tourist-only' thing - as Alison says, most 'steak' is veal (teleshko) as are McDonalds burgers***.

Beef (govezhdo) is rarely found in Bulgaria and, when it is it's expensive, for example Metro Cash & Carry currently have the following 'offers' on South American beef:

Antrakot (Entrecote) - 38.03 Leva (£15.55) per kilo

What they call 'Rost Biif' (presumably topside/top rump/silverside from the photo) - 45.59 Leva (£18.64) per kilo

Bonfile (Fillet) - 78.95 Leva (£32.28) per kilo

See Tonyt's post of 23rd May HERE for recent Albena prices - T-bone Steak and Chips now 27 Leva was 21 Leva - I can't see Sunny Beach prices being higher than Albena (where they really know how to charge the tourists).

Baldur

<Edit>*** See McDonalds Bulgaria - look for 'Ð'иг Мак' (Big Mac) & you'll see "с две парчета телешко месо" (with two veal patties).
  • Edited by Baldur 2008-06-11 12:45:16
Alison and Baldur thanks very much...also Baldur I don't want to look to you as the average tourist I don't go abroad normally to eat whatever I can eat at home...the question was simply related to what these people told me...for instance I can't wait to put my teeth into "kavarma" hope that's how you spell it...I've enjoyed Bulgarian food and that's what I'm going to have...thanks again for your help
I must admit when I'm in Bulgaria for an extended stay, the one thing that I could kill for is the taste of a decent piece of beef - months of chicken, veal & pork take their toll.....

Lamb tends only to be eaten in the Spring.

Baldur
juventino74 - you'll be in luck then because the bulgarian food will be the best value. All yummy :)

Baldur - had lamb a lot in SB, though of course I realise they will not be eating seasonally like they will be in the villages so probably frozen or New Zealand!. Whole spit roast ones (minus the head!) which they carve hunks off for you. Found the Watermill to be best for this. And they had mint sauce ;) They also had a spit roast pig.
Hi Alison,

Yes, I could 'go tourist' and pop down to Albena or Sveti Konstantin if I became really desperate, but I'm not usually deperate enough to go to a resort, even relatively small ones. ;)

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.