General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I roll everything up sausage style. Works for me but I pack quite lightly anyway.
My packing: everything folded up neatly in order and in layers

Robs packing: sort out what he wants and then beg me to fold it and pack it for him :roll:

Daughters packing (aged 17): try and fit everything but the kitchen sink into a suitcase and then jump on it until it closes and then whine when we get on holiday that everything is creased :roll:

Son's packing (aged 14): screw it up into a ball and stuff it into every nook and cranny or just plead stupid until and exasperated mother does it for you. :roll:

sorry this is no help whatsoever...
Decided to use the holdalls for when we holiday in this country with the car and can just pack clothes in rather than odd shapes like shoes etc. They are really a little too large anyway.Got the trolley cases out and now I can pack in my normal orderly organised fashion.

I do the packing for both of us and always mix the packing so that should one case go awry (yes it has happened) we both have something to wear.

Pippa
sensible idea pippa, that is exactly what i do. dump the kids on my husband and do packing in peace.although i do start to 'gather' things the week before. You should see my packing list, its almost A4 big.
My packing list is three A4 sheets :shock: Honest, one for toiletries and cosmetics etc, one for stuff for the day and the other for stuff of an evening. I also attach pretty holiday themed pictures from clip art to the tops of them. I e-mailed one to a collegue at work and boy did they pull the water out of me, but that's my way and I stick to it evertime. Nothing gets left. I tick things off as they go in the case.
I'd roll stuff up if it were in a holdall but packed flat for a case.
Have fun.
I keep a list on the pc - clothes for me and hubby, odds and ends and toiletries. I tick things off as they go in - that way hopefully you won't forget anything.

Almost finished the packing now.

Pippa
glad its not just me then :lol:
I do exactly the same.

List of daytime clothes for us all
List of evening clothes for us all
List of toiletries and cosmetics
and another list of things to get

Rgds Jackie
I thought I was the only one obsessed with "holiday lists". I have four A4 lists now - mine, husband, daughter and toiletries. I dont trust my husband to pack his own stuff (no colour coordination and I dread to think the outfits he would end up with :shock: ). I mix all of our things up within the three cases and always panic my weight limit is over even when I know it isnt. :roll:

I love my lists, keep them on the computer and just revise them each year accordingly. My sister always asks for a copy of my toiletry list for herself (so it cant be that wrong) and my other sister calls me "Monica" (from Friends). I dont care though as I rarely forget anything and always take just enough of what we will all need.

:) :)
Usually do lists on the computer and update but didn't do that last week when hubby and I went away. Result = no tweezers, two favourite tops not packed, no toiletries packed for hubby and no goggles for the sea, so the snorkel I packed was redundant! I'm going back to typed lists - one for each of us including kids and a general one for toiletries and miscellaneous. :wink:
Hi all I'm also obsessed with lists - I even write which top goes with which bottom etc. ! How sad is that? My New Years resolution will have to be GET A LIFE!!!! :roll:
Helen

It is not sad it is organised, my lists contain the same info. Can you imagine if the packing was left to the men :yikes

Regards Jackie
see my post above with regards to how the packing gets done in our house...if it wasn't for me we would not take anything with us!

Tickets arrived yesterday for our hols to GC in 3 weeks and Rob's priority for packing is his scuba diving gear. At this moment in time i truly think he will not be taking any clothes!!! :shock:
Hi Val,

My hubby is exactly the same,last june the taxi was picking us up at 2pm,for gods sake he only started packing at about 1pm.

I had mine and my sons packed and waiting downstairs the night before!!!

I think its a MAN thing :?
I even have a list which top goes with each bottom

Beat this then, my list has week one, day by day what will be worn day and night and week two the same.Also what shoes and bag and jewellery to where with each out fit for each day.
Eg: Sunday Night; Pink lacey top, pink and beige FCUK skirt, pink flatty shoes and pink Radley bag. Cream and pink necklace, earings, hair up with sparkley clip, Poeme perfume. :?
And that continues for another 13 days / nights
I too keep a complete list in my computer of every item I take and alter and update it each holiday. I also write a list of which skirts and trousers to mix with all my tops( not quite so detailed as CazzMicknTom!!)
So we must all be a bit sad (or very organised)
I leave my husband to sort his own clothes and pack for himself- I just keep suggesting that he takes a few extra items as he takes the minimum.
We go to Benidorm on the 24th so my lists will soon be updated from our May holiday.
Sue
Beat this then, my list has week one, day by day what will be worn day and night and week two the same.Also what shoes and bag and jewellery to where with each out fit for each day.
Eg: Sunday Night; Pink lacey top, pink and beige french connection UK skirt, pink flatty shoes and pink Radley bag. Cream and pink necklace, earings, hair up with sparkley clip, Poeme perfume.
And that continues for another 13 days / nights
Yes, we may laugh, but it's actually a very good idea and something I thought about doing for next year's holiday especially after this year's performance with daughter's extensive wardbrobe of stuff that never got worn :roll: She took 3 pairs of full length jeans - to Turkey - it was like 40° in the shade :shock: and she took 3 pairs of trainers and then spent the whole 2 weeks in flip flops - never mind the four (yes, 4!!!) caps/visors which she never wore at all, not even once....
I'm definitely going to force her to make a list similar to the above next year, then she can't complain at me if she's done the list herself - and it might just prevent me having a panic attack over excess baggage weight at the airport - we've been very lucky up to now and have been waved through with several kilos over on quite a few holidays now - I think the check-in clerks must have teenage daughters of their own :lol:
Deanne definitely got through all the mountains of clothes she managed to cram into her suitcase.. she was changing about 3 or 4 times a day and her and all her friends she had made literally would not walk from one side of the pool to the other without checking thier hair and make up was pristeen, their sandals matched, they had nice strappy tops on that matched each other etc..even down to co-ordinated jewellery...

now the boy.. well..he would just doss in the same pair of shorts for an entire 2 week duration if i let him.....teenagers eh???
I keep a list on the pc - clothes for me and hubby, odds and ends and toiletries. I tick things off as they go in

Does that not damage the pc monitor when you tick it :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.