Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Hi and welcome to HT :wave
Whilst you are waiting for some replies, why not check out our hotel reviews HERE

Kath HT Admin
It depends where you want to stay, we found loads of accommodation through this site:

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/english/english.php

I can recommend Cavtat, we ended up at Villa Markoc, which was lovely, the apartments can be combined for a larger party.

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_markoc/

I put an accommodation review on the site.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/croatia/cavtat/villa-markoc-apartments/
You don't say how old the children are, but the north of Croatia does not have sandy beaches, but rocky crags and platforms which could be dengerous for young children (although the local kids go to the "beaches"!). I don't think it would be very relaxing to have the risk of concussion to add to everything else.

we went to Rovinj, which we loved, but I would say it would be ideal for toddlers (plenty of shade in the park behind the "beach", and footpaths to push buggies round on) or teenagers (safe on the rocks, and maybe enjoying ball games in the park, or hiring bikes) but for the in-betweenies.......... head south for the sand.
Like Maria, Paul, we have also stayed at the Villa Markoc in Cavtat. We had our thirteen month old son with us, and we thorougly enjoyed it. However if we had taken our elder two, of 11 and 15, I know they would have been bored, as their is no pool or entertainment on an evening. I think, if you have older children, a hotel would be better. The hotels in and around Dubrovnik might suit your family more.
Let us know if you book anything.

jackie15
There are a couple of hotels in Cavtat run by Iberostar that have 'entertainment' and kids facilities (one might be called the Albatross, but I've really forgotten the names). From Cavtat you can take the bus or boat to Dubrovnik, coach trips to Mostar or Montenegro. The Island of Lokrum which is a bird and nature sanctuary is also worth a trip.
Ive also been thinking of taking my family there also ive found some flights with Thomson for around 550-600 depending on which airport we want to use Pula or Dubrovinik. Ive been looking at the Hotel Park in Rovinj which looks really good, not sure about the other places yet. We usually do a fortnight in Greece
for whit hols , but after seeing some pics of croatia have been thinking it over.
I know First Choice used to do Croatia but they stopped doing it now, obviously not enough interest?
Shame really as I like FC.
There was another hotel I like the look of In rovinj I think it was called The Admiral or something, you can find both of them on tripadvisor (am i allowed to say that?) on the top hotels of Rovinj Croatia.
To be honest dont know if we will go unless we find it to be reasonably priced, our fortnights hol in Greec normally costs 1200 including flights so 600 just for flights isnt a good start really! I'll let you know if I find any bargains.
Sorry forgot to mention we are a family of five too.
Thanks for the replies everyone and we are still trying to source a hotel for us (2 adults and 3 boys 13,11 + 9)
Sometimes as a family of five you just have to take two rooms as there is not that many hotels who do rooms for five or more , especially in Eastern Europe. :que
P.s I forgot to say that those flights I found with Thomson are for the last week of August and returning the very start of sept.
Hi All
We are a couple aged 50 and went to Cavtat a couple of years ago, staying at the Albatross. There's a very good animation team there for the kids, also indoor and outdoor pools and rocky/sandy beach. i believe the sister hotel next door has watersports. See my review.
It was the first time we had booked flights independantly but we saved loads. If you find the website for Dubrovnik airport there are links to pre-book your taxi-transfer. It's only about 3kms. Also we booked the hotel on the Iberostar website. The only downside was that it all had to be paid for up-front.
Cheers, Jean
Try Globespan fly from Edinburgh, only a 2hour flight to Pula. We went in 2006 to Verudela in Pula and I'd go back there. No sandy beaches but our kids got on ok and they were 6 and 3 at the time. LOt of the pools are salt water but didn't stop our two having a great time.
We're going back this summer so any hints on S/C would be useful for us as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.