Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
We went independantly a couple of years back and were amazed at how cheaply we could get self-catering apartments - I'm not sure about hotels though, as we didn't look. We found lots of accommodation in the Dubrovnic area on here:

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/english/english.php

We stayed in Cavcat, which I loved. The resort is about 10 minutes from the airport, so a taxi transfer was no problem and there are busses and boat trips available. We hired a car for 3 days but it was not totaly necessary. We were there the end of September, beginning of October and had mainly good sunny weather, about 22-25C but one day with a tremendous thunderstorm. These are some of my pictures from the triip to give you an idea.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/223336/index.html
if you want to stay in Dubrovnic, I would DIY - taxis are cheap from the airport.
We've stayed in Dubrovnic, and Trogir - which is a lovely old town not too far from Split.
Dubrovnic we stayed in a lovely apartment we found on the internet - they also organised the transfer for us.
Trogir we went through Balcan holidays and stayed in a hotel.
I feel that dubrovnic is more a 'long weekend' type of place - very busy and touristy. If I was going for longer I would stay elsewhere.
It's not really possible to do a day trip to Dubrovnic from Split - takes about 4-5 hours on a bus.
You could always look at starting in dubrovnic for a couple of days, then getting a bus to another resort?

kev
Dubrovnik marries happily with day trips to Kotor in Montenegro and Mostar in Bosnia. I would strongly suggest getting a tour with a company for these because you are crossing international borders, and if you were to do this in a hire car, you would need to be sure that your hire contract allowed you to do so, and there might be hidden costs once you arrive at the border, eg spares, contents of first aid kit, need for a fire extinguisher etc.
Hi
We did DIY a couple of years ago staying in Cavtat, about 3km from Dubrovnik airport. You can pre-book taxi transfers if you look at Cilipi airport website. There are plenty of local buses or water taxis to Dubrovnik. We hired a car and had to pay extra insurance to take it into Montenegro and Bosnia but that wasn't a problem.

We stayed at the Albatros Hotel which you can book direct if you go to the Iberostar website. It was excellent but we had to pay in full on booking. We flew from Manchester with BA but I don't think they do it now. Try Tomsonfly.

I have put reports/reviews on the relevant pages of this website.

Hope this helps
Yiamass, Jean
Thank you all for your answers, I am going to look more at diy'ing with Thomsonfly from Luton, myabe for 10 days, and getting a self-catering apartment, depending on the price (and whether I can get one with access to a swimming pool!), failing that it will be flying from Birmingham for 7 days. Maria H, your photos are great, they have really whetted my appetite for going! Thanks :sun2
Lovely photos Maria
I have decided to go to Croatia 1st 2 weeks in September and was looking for ideas

My daughter stayed in split, Korkula & Dubrovnik last year and loved it.
McBabe, did your daughter book a multi-centre package or travel independently? Information appreciated!
Hiya Alsa
She did it independently, she booked flights to Split and stayed a few days, went from there to Korkula where she spent a week, Korkula to Dubrovnik for a few days and from Dubrovnik home, she always uses lonely planet guides to plan trips & book hotels.
just an update, we've gone for diy, booked to Dubrovnik with Thomsonfly, staying in an s/c apartment for 4 nts there, then onto the island of Kolocep for 5 nights, can't wait! :pele
Maybe next year we'll try the Split region and the next, Istria ;)
Has anyone been to Croatia with Cosmos ?

am thinking of going next yr using clubcard deals !if anyone can recommend a cosmos hotel I would be grateful

we are a family of 4 ch will be 13 and 7
Has anyone camped in this country as I am taking a tent with me in September and hiring a car to get around.
FJ_Biker wrote:
Has anyone camped in this country as I am taking a tent with me in September and hiring a car to get around.

I spent 14 days last year on the coast (7 cities and towns) with no acommodation at all. There were 12 of us in 3 cars and we slept in tents illegal in woods along the coast. But there are a lot of camps in almost every town along the coast and they're not too expensive.
if you want diy prices and accommodation I went with ias nika travel last year. apart from flights its was really cheap, my two children, my wife and I, paid €40 per night to stay in a private accommodation on sipan, self catering! Going again this year as well.

i liked sipan, no tourists. not everyone cup of tea but croatia has a lot to offer. nika travel has lots of info which i liked, trip advisor had some info which helped too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.