America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
The Sheraton located at Fisherman's Wharf in downtown San Francisco is a good value and very convenient to some of the most interesting parts of the city. It is within easy walking distance of the wharf and the boats that leave for the tours of the famous prison on Alcatraz Island. You can also access the famous cable cars and ride them to other parts of downtown including Union Square which has outstanding shopping.
Hi David, many thanks for your reply

Would you favour staying in Fishermans Wharf over Union Square?

Travel agents advised us to stay in Union Sqaure but we wanted to get other opinions, as Fishermans Wharf like you say is convienent for the attractions etc.

Thanks

Emma
we stayed at the holiday inn express fishermans wharf & would definately stay there again.
it is ideally located,for the cable cars,pier 39,the boats to alcatraz,ghiralldis(?)the bikes,to bike the golden gate bridge & numerous other tourist attractions.
you get a complimentary breakfast,which sets you up for the day & the rooms were spotless.
enjoy san francisco,you will love it!
tracy
Thanks Tracy, they are definately on our things to do list

I'll take a look at that hotel too

October cannot come quick enough, we are combining San Diego in with our trip so it should be very eventful.
Have not been back to the States since 2008, spent 3 months there, i loved it!
Travelled from NYC to LA - hitting all the Southern States, FAB!!!

Thanks

Emma
Hiya, we stayed at the Hyatt at Fishermans Wharf last October, and it was in a perfect location for what we wanted. Huge rooms too. We used priceline to get a very good deal.

HTH :)
Sue, it's me Emma
I totally forgot that you done San Fran before your cruise
i'll take a look at that now

would you recommend booking direct with hotel or through a website that does deals?

Thanks Emma
Try Hotwire for San Francisco. Some very good hotels available on there and sometimes for not much more than a standard rate at a Travelodge (sometimes less). Deals will obviously be dependant on your dates, but that should be your starting point in my opinion.

As for the question, Fishermans Wharf or Union Square, it's really all down to personal taste. I like the Wharf area, but it is touristy (but hey, we are tourists after all....) whereas Union Square will give you a better feel for everyday San Francisco life and gives you better access to shopping and the numerous museums. You will visit both at regular intervals anyway and transportation is excellent to both (either cable car, street car or bus) so flip a coin and let it make your decision. Maybe list the things you plan to do and that will give you a better feel for which area you need to book......

Don't miss Alcatraz. It's essential, and also if you are feeling healthy a bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and down into Sausalito is an excellent way of seeing the city.

Any further questions, please fire away....
Thank you very much for your advice

I definately plan on doing the bike tour, i done a similar thing in New York, we cycled the tour around Manhattan, was excellent

i think Fishermans Wharf is looking favourite at the minute :tup

Thanks Emma
we have stopped at the Handlery hotel union Square which was very good in san francisco right in the heart of union sq...they have got an hotel in san diego as well.....not sure if they would do you a deal if you stopped at both..

http://www.handlery.com/sf/contact/

havent stopped at san diego one....but san francisco one was good for the stay.
And for San Diego look at Hilton San Diego Resort or Hyatt Mission Bay Resort and Marina.

For something a little more "relaxed" and for the family - Paradise Point Resort & Spa.

I would recommend rental car for all above.
Thank you Traveller, we will have a rental car for the full 2 weeks we are there.
Stayed at these 2 hotels last year, the location for both was great, you don't really need a car as they are both very central but plenty parking if needed.

Got good deals for both through Hotwire site.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60750-d83245-Reviews-Bristol_Hotel-San_Diego_California.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60713-d80786-Reviews-King_George_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html
Thank you for all your help and advice

Our trip has grown immensly, we are now doing
San Fransisco
Monterey
Santa Barbara
Anaheim
Las Vegas
San Diego

Excited :cheers :cheers
I've stayed at Catherdral Hill (Van Ness) The Hilton (near Union Square) and
The Handlery (near Union Square) twice and a couple of others near the airport.

I'd easily return to The Hilton and The Handlery, with perhaps The Handlery coming a
close first over it's bigger rival.

I've one story about The Handlery which for me sums the place up.
When checking-in one day, there was a lady in front of me who had a (minor)
complaint about something (I can't even remember what it was, just that it was something minor ).
Anyway, the guy on th desk politely excused himself to the lady and went into a back-office.
He returned with another guy, who took the lady to the side ofthe queue and said,
"Good afternoon Madam, I'm John Handlery, how can I help you?"
That for me was good service :tup and next time I'm back in San Fran it'll be The Handlery for me gain.
We stayed at Union Square - hotel Monaco. What a fabulous place. Guide books even mention it as being worth going and having a look. Its a work of art :) We got a great deal booking it through BA. I am glad we didn't stay at the Wharf as I have to be brutally honest and say my opinion was that it was a bit tacky. Of course staying in that area does make it a bit easier for what you want to do during the day. I enjoyed wondering about Union Square area in the evening though- some lovely restaurants, including our hotel one. The hop on/off bus starts at Union Square as well.
Someone here recommended that I try The Stinking Rose restaurant - and it was something else :D Go there if you like garlic- all the food has garlic in it- even their ice- cream. You really need to book as, if you don't, you will find yourself in a long queue.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.