Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
we try to fly from Doncaster whenever possible as it is right on our doorstep and we can take our time to relax. it only takes us 15 minutes to get there so we observe the 2 hour rule. We have been told before we can check in and go home again as long as we are back in time to board! (admittedly that was when that 3 hour rule was in place for a while after some terror alert or another).

We also like to have something to eat, chill out and have a mooch around so generally we observe the 2 hour rule. The 3 hour rule is a little bit much IMHO.
Moved to flights only / airlines / airports where the topic is better suited.

Mark :D
Jingles, we like to get to the airport really early because we are always worried that there may be roadworks. We like to get to the airport about 4 1/2 to 5 hours before the flight. As we go long haul this is not a problem as the check in desk is always open.

Once we get through security and into the departure lounge then we have plenty of time to do a bit of shopping and then into the prepaid lounge for a bit of a chill out.
I always get there 3 hours before, then you have plenty of time to get there, check in, eat, shop and board. I hate being rushed.

Sarah
av got to be their 3 hours befor hand my flight is at 6 am but all be their for 2.30 being picked up at 2 in the morning so it gives us plenty of time for the new ipa thing.
I always try and get there 3 hours before at the latest!! you will be able to spot us at the airport we are the smug people at the front of the queue to check in :wink:

Then we like to go and have a meal before we board as i refuse to pay extra for airline meals and have a browse around the shops - i could never be one of those people who make it to check in minutes before it closes - far too stressful!!
3 hours for me too... i hate queueing with a passion, would much rather get checked in early, guarantee getting seats together, get thru security as quick as poss and then just generally mooch, eat, drink...take my daughter to watch the planes if poss.....the duty free shopping and an early beer are all part of the holiday :lol: :lol: :lol:
we also like to go a minimum of three hours before flight time ,get checked in and then chill out we are there ..........
regards.john-doe..........
We usually aim for a compromise of around 2 and a half hours before but i must admit nowadays we always seem to be at the back of a queue :(
if i had my way i'd be one of the last to check in but for peace and an easy life or rather peaceful holiday with no moaning i agree to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. if the family had their way i'm sure we would be there 4 hours before to sit on our cases at front of checkin queue
Using Ryan Air which says check in opens 2 hours before departure, I always try to be at airport anywhere between 2.5-3 hours before as I've found that they often open check in at around 2hrs 20 mins before departure and people mill about from 2.5 hours onwards.
We always get there 2 hours beforehand, as hubby hates hanging around in departures. Yes, I know, he has to hang around in a very long queue instead, but try telling him that. :hmmm
Now I know why there's a gigantic queue when we get there - it's all HT members! Mind you, I've booked a Lounge for October, so I might be able to persuade him to get there earlier so that he can avail himself of the complimentary goodies!
Soon you'll have to arrive about 6 hours in advance to be the first in the queue! :rofl
If you have booked a lounge Tish I would try to get to the airport earlier otherwise you will not be in the lounge long enough to enjoy it. Himself, likes to go into the lounge so that he can chill out (with a coffee and a glass or two of wine) before the mass rush to the gate.
That's my thinking too Sydney. :wink:
Flying from Stansted, I like to be among the first to check in then it's straight to security and once in departure lounge, head for Starbucks and then any time left is usually in Dixons and the 'duty free' shop. I always allow plenty of time to get to the gate espoecially as Ryan Air have a habit of springing last minute gate changes on us.
Flying from Dublin, it's the same check in early then through security and once in departures browse shops and if the bar is open a pint of Guinness before heading down to the gate and again Ryan Air have a habit of changing gates at the last minute.
We like to get there as early as poss, then OH can get her perfume etc. Me? Just park me somewhere and I'll read 'til it's time to go. I've liked the idea of lounges, so I'll have somewhere more comfortable with refreshments but the Boss says needless expenditure, as I'll drink too much! Holidays start for me in the airport.
AT least 3 hours for us too. I like to be at the top of the queue :lol: We are lucky and live quite close to the airport, but with people from all over Northern Ireland using BFS its better being early than standing in a queue for over an hour :wink:
We've got to be there 2hrs before but plan to get there 3 hrs before so we too can relax and have a meal if we so wish. 8)
Too early our cases are always near the last.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.