Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
To be honest Woopeedoo, I can only report as a holidaymaker but I actually prefer the Costa Del Sol over the Costa Blanca. Out of the main tourist areas both Costa's have beautiful towns and villages and the atmosphere on the Costa Del Sol is lovely.

I'm not a fan of Fuengirola but all other areas I really enjoy. Some of it is a 70's throwback for the very good reason that a lot of it was built in the 70's.

I think Torremolinos has matured into a very pleasant resort, yes a lot of the 70's pile em high sell em cheap mentality is still there but they have made the best of what they have and the hustle and bustle of the town centre along with as you mention, the La Carihuela area, plus Benalmadena Marina etc. I think its great.

Malaga has also improved no end. There are lots of nice little villages not far from the coast such as Mijas (fair enough its become touristy due to day trippers), Benalmadena Pueblo is also lovely.

Most Spanish resorts consist of quite a lot of ugly buildings and the main resorts on the Costa Blanca, Brava, Dorada are no different to the Costa Del Sol but I seem to be able to see beyond the concrete.

As for rental prices, its all down to supply and demand I guess.

But overall, I just love Spain and if I could take all my family, friends and find a good job - I'd sooner live anywhere in Spain than stay in this dreary place we live. :cheers
Quote - The wages, especially for leisure industry personnel is roughly a quarter of what it is on the Blanca, but yet the cost of rentals is around 50 per cent higher..

So if they get 8 euros per hour in CB then in Benalmadena they get 2 euros. or if they get 8 euros an hour in Benalmadena they get 32 euros per hour in CB - That seems hard to believe.
ok, i am saying "roughly" i.e. for 3 hours dj's was €130 on the CB, but down here you have to do 8 hours for €80.. i guess that is "roughly" a quarter.. even if its a 3rd or half the wages.. when the property prices are so much more together with the cost of living.. you can see why anyone that is an entertainer up there can live like a king :sun2 :sun2

I am surprised that by all the views, there is nobody out there who has the answer.. i wish i did lol

I will wait with bated breath.. thanks for the two replies thus far anyhoooo... :D

:cheers
Deleted.....it wasn't worth the effort :que
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-09-06 17:15:22
Thank you for that - very interesting reading.
Yes a very informative response, however it hasnt really answered my questions, it was really my fault i guess for not being clear enough in the first place.

Ok, as a DJ in the Torrevieja area of Costa Blanca, and other DJ's as well that i knew at the time of living there, we all got around the same amount of money. There was no bargaining that needed to be done, no contracts, just paid direct from the owners of "small bars" etc, some large sure, but no "large clubs" that were coining it in. The average was around €120 for 3 hours.
So, as for " you dont know where i get my information", i lived it !! And i do not need to know rocket science to know that more profit for an organisation means more flexibility with wages, so i don't know why you even said that!! It seems with every response, there has to be some element of sarcasm, when i am just looking for a nice discussion and peoples opinions, not to be slated as to why i am not fully aware of the practices of the country. I can speak a reasonable level of spanish, and watch mainly Spanish tv, and also follow the housing market, but more closely the Euribor. And yes, i am one of those that gets paid cash.. although i am registered with the town hall and government and have all my papers in order. It is more or less impossible to get a contract in this industry over here.. The area where i work, there are some 200 people i would guess that are either bar staff, waiting staff or DJ's and i only know of 4 of them who have a contract!!

As for the property for rent in that area, we are talking low rise, in fact lower buildings than here in the CDS.. i rented a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom detached villa on a lovely new urbanisation, huge communal pool, lovely gardens, roaving security etc and my rent was €600 per month plus bills, and that was the going rate for the whole urb. Other urbanisations renting out 1 bed apartments typically charged around €350 to €400 etc etc.. i pay €500 a month for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment here and judging by everywhere else in the locality, that is the norm.
As you quite rightly say, DJ's are two a penny, but good ones are not! And it requires years of experience to become proficient at what you do and to gain the knowledge of different genres of music.

Ok, so you used Benidorm as an example.. stating what you know about that particular area.. well we could use the two areas in the Costa Blanca then as examples, why are they so different? I can only state what i know is fact as i used to work in the other area, but not Benidorm, not that i would want to..

You say "leave the concrete for the foreigners and their ghettos" i know a fair few nationals who live in those areas and they hate it.. as we both agree, La Carihuela is beautiful, but areas aside from that are not so.. The Eurosol apartment blocks on the main road between Torre and Montemar are at last being given a face lift, but were such an eye saw, those are the typifying examples i was referring to.

I hope i have made myself clearer in this post, and welcome a "friendlier" reply from maybe somebody else who may have an idea as to these variants.

Thankyou. :D
Sanji why delete such an interesting post - my OH just came to read it and it has gone.
sorry - just read the above post and know why now!!
Am I missing something here..... :think
I have not read one post on this thread that was in the slightest way "unfriendly", quite the opposite in fact, and that includes the one that Sanji did and has now deleted.
woopeedoo wrote:
I hope i have made myself clearer in this post, and welcome a "friendlier" reply from maybe somebody else who may have an idea as to these variants.

Well, that's loud and clear to me.
Woopeedoo, Now you mention Torrevieja your post on rental prices and wages is easier to answer:-

WAGES + DANGER MONEY = MORE THAN COSTA DEL SOL
RENTAL - BREAK-INS, MURDERS, MUGGINGS, STABBINGS = LOW RENTAL COSTS

Sorry, but Torrevieja, rightly or wrongly has been crowned the crime capital of Spain for a number of years and as such rental prices will match accordingly.

I don't know if this reputation is justified??? (Haven't been since 1989 when I stayed at the Aparthotel Cabo Cevera)

But once you get the reputation its very hard to shrug off. although have to say I thought it was quite a nice place but others will be put off.
hey mark.. thanks for the reply..

BUT.. haha, you knew that was coming.. having spent time in both areas, i have to say that CDS is far worse for crime and violence etc. In the time i spent in Torrevieja, i never once encountered any trouble, murders etc.. nor did any of my friends, so i guess it has a bad rep that is unjustified. However, since i have been in the CDS, i have witnessed, 2 stabbings, 1 murder, 20 spanish throwing bottles at english people, and know of another murder and another 2 stabbings in just 11 months!!! and that is just in one little area of the CDS without going into marbellla or fuengi.. so i dunno.. what do we make of that??? lol
But aren't you a "door person" in a nightclub where these things happen everywhere in this environment all over the world?
Not quite sure what you are waiting for us all to say Woopeedoo???

That we all hate the Costa Del Sol and how much more we all love the Costa Blanca?

Thats not gonna happen as its all down to personal taste.

Referring to the crime on the CDS, I've never been a victim and probably don't hang around the areas where there are flare ups and these areas generally attract pricks going out with trouble in mind. (This is the same for many areas not just CDS). As an example I love Playa de las Americas in Tenerife but avoid Veronicas because you know the sort of idiots that are likely to be hanging out there.

Dare I suggest if wages are lower and crime is higher on the CDS that you get a job on the Costa Blanca again? Seems like the obvious answer to me.

Either way, nobody on here is going to have the definitive answers.

Most of us just go on holiday, have a nice crime free experience and come home again.

Mark
To be honest, I don't think the answers given have been aggressive or sarcastic, but I do think some answers take on a strong defensive tone. I can understand that, as my own first instinct was a defensive one.

To try to put the same defensive answer in less aggressive sounding terms, and hopefully trying to give an answer that is open to debate, I would say that the member who previously put it down to "supply and demand" has hit the nail on the head.

No-one charges high rental prices in an area where other properties are offered at lower rates. Whereas, everyone naturally charges the best rate they can get for their property. Hence, on the CDS, I base my prices, across the seasons, in accordance with local averages.

When I first decided to buy in Spain, the first place I visited was Torrevieja. I stayed in a complex near Vilamartin Golf Course, with shops, bars and restaurants, and found it okay. However, it was a fair bit out of town, so we stuck to the complex and seldom varied our routine.

When we did go into town, the Marina was okay, but I was far from impressed with Torrevieja in general. We looked at several properties, the best of which was at Playa Flamenca, and for a while I regretted not buying there, as property prices soared initially. However, as with the Vilamartin area, I just felt it was too remote. It also seemed like a totally ex-pat community and I wanted something with a more Spanish element.

Looking at the situation now, property prices stagnated in Torrevieja long before the current recession. I think that stagnation, coupled with the remoteness of the property complexes and the lack of a natural Holiday Resort nearby combined to lead to lower rental values.

So, if you look at the supply and demand theory, CDS is obviously more popular with holiday makers than CB, as tourists continue to show willing to pay these higher prices you describe. Personally, I can see why.

As for rates of pay, I suspect supply and demand yet again, in that it is far more holiday biased and, with places like Marbella nearby, there are probably too many DJ's and bar workers trying to ply their trade in CDS, hence they have to cut each other's throats byworking for less to get the gigs.

Speaking with particular reference to Benalmadena, for all the costs you mention, it is still not expensive to eat out or drink at night. I was in Bar Ibensa in April and it was still 1 Euro a bottle for San Miguel, Cruzcampo or Heiniken. There are many bars in the resort charging the same prices.

All-in-all, it's still very reasonable to rent, say, a two-bedroom apartment for a family of four, rather than paying hotel prices. Long may it continue.
Hey Mark

Thanks for the reply once again... I am not slating the CDS please dont think i am.. but obviously having lived in both areas mentioned it was worth an ask for opinions on why they were so different hence my original post. And yes, it does seem that a lot of people have jumped str8 onto the "defensive" when all i was doing clearly was trying to envoke a discussion and opinions.
I am not interested in returning to the Blanca as i have been there before and interested in seeing other parts of spain.
Thanks JayJay for your reply also, and now things are starting to make sense, and its great to see a reply that i can chew over.. I am aware of the places you mentioned, i.e. Villarmartin and Playa Flamenca, and my first rental was in Villamartin, and agree, without a car its a mission to get to and from, but a lovely place none the less. Playa Flamenca was pretty similar as is Cabo Roig, but very english as you say. I finally ended up living in the spanish area of Torrevieja town which was lovely.

I now understand about the property prices becoming stagnant which is what happened when i was there.. and to a degree understand what you are saying about that being linked to lower property rentals combined with remote areas, however, the villa i mentioned that i rented for €600 was near Quesada so hardly remote, and the final property in Torrevieja town was a modern 2 bedroom penthouse with marble everything, air con, all the luxuries etc and was the same price..I totally agree with the amount of DJs and bar workers available here on the CDS.. where i work, they have over 150 cvs on file for bar jobs alone!!!

I wonder if, due to the current economic crisis, whether the CDS will suffer the same fate as other areas in Spain? I hope not. However i know already of vendors having to reduce the sale values of their properties in order to achieve viewings let alone sales, and also a couple of people i know wanting to rent apartments called the owners and bargained them down €100 on the monthly rental.

I just hope the economy everywhere starts to regain itself sooner rather than later, as typically it can take up to two years from bottoming out to coming back out to normality again..

But thanks again for the replies everyone, i am now pretty much "at peace" with the reasoning with the variances :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.