Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
joeseptuk,

If you have a medical problem, only a Doctor can certify you fit to fly.

Darren
If I was you I would get a doctors letter to be on the safe side, 99% of the time you won't get asked but the one time you don't take one you'll be asked for one. If the doctor refuses you fit to fly then you probably shouldn't!
As you bought your Travel Insurance in the Travel shop I would phone the insurance companies Medical helpline as the staff in shop may not have fully explained your medical conditions and you may find some of your conditions have not been included on your policy.
I have just renewed my travel insurance and couldnt believe the amount of questions asked since my last insurance.
My cousin once bought his insurance in the travel agents and explained he had epilepsy,he was told by the staff it was covered and 2 weeks before the holiday he had to cancel the holiday because his condition got worse.
They wouldnt pay out when he tried to claim as he was told the Epilepsy wasnt declared.
He lost a lot of money as the holiday was to Florida for 3.
I would not trust Travel agents to get the details correct regarding medical conditions as its the person who is being insured that has to phone the Medical help line to see if they can be insured for all pre existing conditions.
I would suggest a trip to your GP and ask him whether you're fit to fly. Hubby had pneumonia a few years ago, had been in hospital, but at the time of the holiday was just being seen in outpatients. We were due to fly to Mexico on the Monday and on the FRiday the DR told him he couldn't fly. His chest would be unable to cope with the long hours at altitude. Better to be safe than sorry.
Fit to Fly is an iffy area and more of interest to the airline - what the insurance will look for is evidence that you were unfit if you claim. And it doesn't just extend to the flying bit, if you were ill on the ground whilst away they would also look for a way out of the claim. Problems could also snowball, say you had a dizy spell, fell down the stairs and broke your leg. If they could say that the dizziness was caused by an existing undeclared illness they wouldn't cover you for the broken leg either!

Travel Insurance taken out in an agents is often not very good, this has been discussed at great length elsewhere on this board. You are only properly covered if your existing or recent problems are declared to the insurer, decent insurers will put a note on your policy confirming that you have declared them. Anything that has caused you to visit a doctor or take prescription medicine needs to be declared and you ought to go back at least a year, some insurers may ask for longer.

If travelling within the EU and certain other European countries you also need to make sure that you have an EHIC card and that you know how to use it in your destination country. In some countries it's a waste of time but if you don't go through the motions the insurers can also find a way out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.