Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Icemeler
15 Posts
Lucy2,

Welcome onboard :tup
You'll find lots of useful information and member opinion on our Resort Reports for Icmeler. We have a dedicated topic for weather; WEATHER: reports, news, Q&A. September is my preferred month as it's normally past the highest temperature and more pleasant. Expect anything up to 35-40c through the day and around 25c at night although you do sometimes get heat waves where temperatures soar upwards of 45c. Towards the end of the month, you can start to get odd storms but in the main, it's blue sky and no clouds. There's plenty to see and do depending on what you want with boat trips galore, shopping, nightlife, you're only a water taxi or dolmus away from Marmaris and Turunc, as well as other resorts. You might find the resort maps useful for orientation and what hotels are close to the front. Popular ones are the Aqua, Marti, Marti La Perla, L'Etoile, Golmar and a few others that line the sea front. There are plenty of others though all within a few minutes walking distance of the centre and beach. The beach is course sand / shingle.

Darren
Thank you for this. Can you give me a rough idea of costs of various things, like sunbeds etc ? In bars what price would you expect to pay for Beer and spirits ? What kind of entertainment is on in the bars. Would appreciate any comments people have got to help me decide if this is where we really want to go. Thanks
Icmeler is a great choice for a holiday in Turkey. There are 2 main parts to Icmeler, the town which is near the beach and the village area. Both are lovely but personally I would recommend the village area. Its much prettier, quieter and there is still a good choice of bars and restuarants generally within a 5/10 minute stroll. A walk into the town generally would take no more than a 15 minute stroll

Price wise
the beach is not that great lots of shingle. Sunbed is about £1 per day
Beer £1--- £1.80
local spirit and mixer £2----£3.50
chicken set meal £7----£10
steak set meal £9---£12
soft drink £1

There are some good trips from Icmeler and would recommend the lazy day boat trip. This is about £10 for the full day and lunch is included
Lucy2,

Bars / restaurants are generally quiet until meal service is coming to an end at 2130-2200, then they come alive until midnight when the volume has to be reduced. You'll quite often get the waiters dancing on the bars and getting people up to dance with them, some have fire shows and various types of music. You haven't been to Icmeler until you've see the Michael Jackson tribute who go around the various bars and hotels! The Stella show is always a good night out if you've not been before and if you want a more hectic night, there's bar street in Marmaris that's only 10-15 minutes away by taxi or dalmus. Icmeler is my favourite resort in Turkey as it offers a bit of everything. It's not the most traditional Turkish resort, but it's a pleasant place to spend a week or two and is as quiet or hectic as you want it to be. I might go back for my 8th visit in September unless the Maldives beckon again!

Darren
Thank you very much for the info. Its really helpful.Be great to hear other reviews aswell. Is there only the sand/shingle beach ? Is it quite pebble'y or is it just coarse sand as we like the beach better than the pool. Any advise on which hotel is best and near enough to walk into the town ??? What kind of food can we expect in Turkish hotels ?
Lucy2,

There's only one beach on the front at Icmeler, although it's split in to roughly thirds with the two canals. It's course sand / shingle although it does get a little finer on the far right, but it's still not fine sand and quite pebbly in places. When it's really hot, you'll find there's a gentle breeze most days on the beech that you don't always get around the pool if it's sheltered. When it's over 40c, a breeze is more than welcome! Which hotel is best is personal preference really. There are plenty of good hotels in Icmeler. Food various by hotel but most offer a mix of Turkish and international menus, you'll certainly not starve. There are lots of excellent and afordable restaurants out and about so dont stay in the hotel, you'll be missing out. Regardless of which hotel you stay at, it's not far to walk in to the centre of Icmeler, it's not the biggest resort. You can walk from one side to the other down the prom in about 15 minutes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Icmeler69.jpg
Looking upthe beach towards the L'Etoile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Icmeler40.jpg
Looking along the coastline of Icmeler

Darren
Hi Lucy2

Although the beach is not golden soft sand it doesn't matter as there are plenty of sunbeds.

In September 2011 the majority of sunbeds were 2.5tl (each two sunbeds come with an umbrella). A couple of people last year were charging 5tl per bed so be sure to check the price before you settle down. There are some areas where the sunbeds are free as long as you get a drink or two. If you go AI then you will have your own area of beach. Joe Public can also use these sunbeds but they charge 3tl per bed.

Which beds you use is a matter of personal preference. On the free ones and the ones that cost 5tl you are constantly being asked if you want a drink. The ones on the AI parts of the beach have no drinks service at all.

The drinks prices vary but on average the beer was about 5tl for a large beer. A Smirnoff vodka and tonic and a Gordons gin and tonic was 7.5tl each on average. Local vodka and gin is cheaper. A glass of wine was on average 7.5tl.

In the shops a small bottle of water 1tl and a 5 litre container of water was 2.50tl.

The dolmus to Marmaris was 2.5tl.

As far as meals are concerned you can pay as little or as much as you choose. Most places have set menu's which are very reasonable. There are also places like the Nefes Pide in the old village which you must be sure to visit - in September we had one Adana Kebab (spicy), one Chicken casserole and two large bottles of beer. The food was delicious and the total bill was 33tl.

Also, check out the forum on Icmeleronline.com. Between this site and Icmeleronline you will find out everything you want to know.

One word of warning though, if you are thinking of going AI take care. I understand the food in some hotels isn't up to much. Also, with so many good restaurants about it's a shame to miss out on them.

Have a lovely holiday - we are there 3rd to 21st September - may even see you there!!

Patsiej
Thanks for all the information. Keep it coming. Can you tell me what a "Dolmus" is ??? Another place we have looked at is Marmaris.........is this worth considering (any help or info would be appreciated)
Can you tell me what a "Dolmus" is ???
it is a small local bus or taxi that is shared and sets off when it is almost full, a cheap way to get about.
Lucy2 wrote:
Another place we have looked at is Marmaris.........is this worth considering (any help or info would be appreciated)

Personally, I much prefer Icmeler. Marmaris is a little more full-on than Icmeler if you know what I mean, more party than relaxing although it's quiet if you want it to be. The beach at Icmeler is nicer in my opinion and it's more laid back. Marmaris is nice for a day out with a greater variety of shops in the bazaar and the marina area is quite nice. The water taxi ride between the two is a nice relaxing ride (7.5 lira) but it's Icmeler for me.

Just to add to what Graham said, for Dolmus, read cram as many people in to a 10 seater minibus! It's certainly an experience getting in then passing your money to the driver at the front (1/2 lira the last time I was on one) then your change being passed back!

Darren
Thanks for all your help. Its looking quite promising for Icemeler at the moment. What hotels (good ones) are on the beach-front ? Also, as we like walking in the evening, is there plenty of places to walk before having a few drinks each evening. Im hoping that someone can help me decide which hotel is good, with good food, good entertainment and preferably on or very close to the beach
Lucy2,

Have a look at my first reply for hotels on the front. Members have posted reviews of them on our Hotel Reviews section. There are others but they are the main ones. There's plenty of places to walk at night. There's the canal area where there's plenty of bars and market stalls, the underground market as well as shops all over the resort.

Darren
Hi Lucy

Depends what sort of hotel you are looking for. Many of the hotels are small and friendly and very reasonable (but don't expect large rooms). The larger hotels are usually all inclusive and the good all inclusives are expensive. In my experience rooms all are extremely clean. If you go for somewhere in the old village then you have further to walk to the centre of town.

Icmeler is quite compact and is also flat so getting about isn't a problem.

If you get a few brochures you can check the maps and see where the hotels are located. After that come online and check out the reviews on this site but also on Icmeronline and trip adviser. Between all the sites you should get a feel for the place and will be able to determine which hotels appeal to you and also what type of clientele you will find there e.g. couples, families etc.

As far as walking goes, the promenade goes all the way from Icmeler to Marmaris. It's a lovely walk as long as it's not too hot and there are plenty of watering holes along the way. It's quite nice walking into Marmaris and getting the water taxi back. I hasten to add this is more of a daytime walk than an evening one.

Patsiej
Hi Lucy

Have you decided yet?

Patsiej
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.