Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
By now this will be too late to be of use to you but as the issue is likely to rumble on it might be of use to somone else..

the union involved is Verdi and if you speak German you can keep up to date at their site.

The strike seems to have only affected certain airports and not all airlines in cases where more than one company provides ground services. It has had a much worse affect on the German airlines because of the knock of effects of planes that were planned to do internal flights, Lufthansa took the brunt of it.

the Berlin S-Bahn was affected because it is not run by DB (unlike most other S-Bahn networks) but is part of the city transport company.

DB have their own seperate problems but their strikes tend to be localised and short term, sometimes just a few hours - and advertised in advance on their site http://www.bahn.de . There are more to come and the latest details are due to be published on Friday 7th March.
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply Steve8482.

I chickened out of going as I didn't fancy being caught up in Germany with possible strike action at the airport. I had visions of just spending my day there worring about the return flight.

Having monitored the flights today on the Berlin airport web site it would seem 99% of the flights operated OK. I picked up only a couple of delays and cancellations in domestic flights. Both of my Easyjet flights operated to time. Sod's Law!
Just to update - the DB problem has been officially sorted. This didn't stop the staff in Stuttgart having one last day after the deal was done and I'm not sure the deal will hold indefinately. Still, should last the summer out!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.