Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Edit to add --- David has posted a more official line, probably best to look at that.

Just heard this on BBC Radio Newcastle, and I assume its on other sources (nb, ceefax and itv reporting too)

Two sisters in their 60's from Gateshead, Tyne and Wear have died from suffocation after the pull down beds in their Spanish studio apartment collapsed upon them as they slept.

Staff at the Levante Club Apartments in the Benidorm resort found the pair after friends reported them missing on Thursday.

Tour operator MyTravel confirmed that two women had been found in the apartments and local police said that cuts to their hands and legs suggest they made a desperate bid to escape.

MyTravel added that all visitors have been moved out of rooms with similar bedroom setups.

:( This is terrible news. Thoughts go out to the families. Can't imagine anything like this happening anymore, always thought modern apartments were so safe

EDIT: Topics merged
David HT Mod
that is terrible news, my heart goes out to their families
Family may sue over death of sisters

The family of two sisters who suffocated when their bed frame collapsed on top them are preparing to sue the hotel owners after it emerged they may have lay trapped for four days.

Relatives are reported to have taken legal action and plan to launch a case against the Levante Club apartments in Benidorm. They want to know how they accident happened and why the room was not checked by a maid.

Alice Wardle, 67, and Milly Bowman, 62, died when the frame of the fold-up bed tore away from the wall and fell on top of them as they slept. The Guardian reported that they were last seen on July 31 and were not discovered until August 4.

A MyTravel spokeswoman said staff were looking after relatives and repatriating family members who were on holiday with the sisters.

She said there was no indication that they are taking legal action against the operator.

An investigation into the deaths has been launched by MyTravel.

With permission from Travelmole
My sincere condolences go to the families of these two ladies.
What should have been a happy time in their lives, has ended in this tragedy.
R.I.P.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,171-1726987_1,00.html

SanJi
I read the original news report but that was awful.
I can't imagine their terror being trapped for days.
this is awful . those poor women . i would like to send my condolences to their families . so sad .
It is now being reported that a holidaymaker complained to MyTravel 4 months ago, about the foldaway beds at the Levante Club Apartments. Click here for more...

David
I read this in the Daily Mail. How awful!!!
"The room was locked from the inside and the maid had visited but had not been able to get in.

Just a couple of points
That`s what Mr sanji does :cry: ...he does this for added security when he double locks from the inside........he won`t be doing it again, that`s for sure.

Makes you think though does`nt it.

It`s not going to bring these two ladies back, but it highlights the fact, that there are certain issues that need addressing, regarding the health and safety of tour operators customers.

besos xxx
sanJi
Must admit I always double lock my door as well but the cleaners can still open it from the outside. I'm presuming they have a master key of some sort. This was at the Levante Club Hotel. Don't know if it's like that elsewhere.
Just had confirmation that the 2 elderly ladies that died are my Uncle's sisters :(

The cleaning maids cleaning rosta has been checked and they signed the form as having checked the room, not sure if it was on the day of there deaths, but they obviously never checked the room after there death

Post mortem suggests that they were both alive and had the maid went to there room they would have been found :(
i am so sorry to hear that its your family members gateshead, i know its sounds stupid but it seems even more devastating when its someones family on this forum. my family and i want to send our sincerest condolances to you and your family especially your uncles

to know that someone else had complained about the beds previously and nothing seemed to have been done is disgusting :x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.