Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Are there any Irish bars in Albufeira and if so do they play live music?

Yes loads. I can't be specific about names etc as I do not go to them.

Haven't been since 1998 has it changed a lot?

The resident population has doubled in the last ten years or so. There are new hotels and condominiums everywhere and the town centre has been pedestrianised and prettified for tourists; the fishing boats are no longer allowed on the beach etc. The beaches are the same you will be glad to know, but rather more crowded!

I have heard it has gone very expensive to eat out and drink alcohol?

It's not particularly expensive compared say to the UK, but obviously since 1998 prices have risen the same as they have everywhere else. The recent fall in the value of £ to € has had the worst effect, as UK visitors now find everything seems to cost 20% more than last year.
Hi Liz. Erin's Isle and Father Ed's are at the top of The Strip, facing the Montechoro Hotel. Both have live music at least five nights a week. Currently, Ron Terre - the oldest surving member of the original Drifters - is singing in Father Ed's every Thursday. And very good he is, too!
You can eat and drink out on The Strip for little money at all. A bottle of beer costs a euro, and it's 50 cents more for a Portuguese "pint".
A three-course meal with a drink (wine or beer) can be had for less than 10 euros.
Point of order - Ron Terre was not in the original drifters, or any other version according to Wikipedia.

In the old town you will find Breffni Bar, near the old bus station. A proper Irish pub, run by Irish people, with no gimmicks.
Thanks for all your replys.

Heard it had gone a lot more expensive...debating Albuifeira for 2 weeks Sept for £1300 2 adults S/Catering or Crete halfboard £1000...hmmm will have a think. Really do love Portugal..my first holiday abroad was Albuifeira.

Cheers Liz
In my opinion, Portugal went more expensive when the Escudo's went and the Euro arrived, which was quite a few years back now.

But I don't think it's gone any more expensive since.

We just need more spending money because of the shocking exchange rates at the moment - not because of an increase in prices.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.