Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Is Crete for us?
13 Posts
Well, I'm not a history buff...but I've been going back to Crete for the last 8 years! Take your pick - Minoan Palaces, Greco-Roman sites, Byzantine churches, Venetian towns - enough for a week??? There's enough for a lifetime! :tup
We're returning in June for our 4th holiday in Crete (after over 15 holidays in various parts of Greece). We also like touring, visiting historic sites as well as beautiful scenery and a little beach time to relax. It's a big island and there is plenty to see, you won't see it all in a week. So far we've spent 5 weeks (2 fortnight breaks and a late break week) split between east and west Crete and still feel we have plenty left to explore. Chose your resort according to your interests, e.g. from your mentioned age, avoid the more "lively" resorts and I'm sure you will love it.
I suggest a week is not enough. However you will have to make one choice before you go and that is where to focus geographically in order to maximise the little time you will have. Heraklion area is a must with it's museums and Knossos close by. The other main area of historical and cultural interest is Chania to the west. You could take in Rethymnon en route to Chania. On the west side you also have the advantage of the most dramatic and beautiful natural scenery on the island, notably the White Mountains and Samaria Gorge. You won't get much rest but the beaches are good too!
thanks for all the ideas, which resort does anyone think is best for us? we are not keen on beaches but like an evening stroll along a water front?
In that case I would go for the town of Rethymnon (have a look at the Hotels Ideon and Fortezza which are actually in town rather than on the beach strip) - centrally placed between Hania and Heraklion.
You could stay in the lovely Venetian town of Chania, we will be sure to make several visits there on our holiday in June. Watching the sun set from one of the harbourside restaurants is wonderful, there is a fortress and there are lots of little alleyways with shops to wander round until late in the evening.
I also love Chania in the evening (or by day!). It has a lovely Venetian feel to it's backstreets, as shown
http://www.sights-and-culture.com/Crete/Chania-Venetian-distr.html

The harbour area by evening is lovely, and plenty of places to stop and sit/drink/eat as you stroll round the curved waterfront. Do an image search on Google on Chania to get more of an idea. The backstreets also have some amazing venues to eat. I ate in an old ruined building, open to the stars, to the sound singing, and a guitar strumming. Magical atmosphere and food.
I agree with Chania as a base. Enjoy strolling round the harbour area but also the backstreets. Then eat at Karnagio in Katehaki square not far behind the old mosque (tel: (0821) 53.366 or 45.519).....best restaurant in Chania, frequented by Athenians and still undiscovered by the majority who get ripped off eating on the harbour front. I won't be there until end July but my mouth is watering already!
Portes gets vote for best Chania food. I also would have said Hania as a base (I'm a south west Crete addict) BUT it's a long way to most of the historic sites, which is why I suggested Rethymnon as a compromise. Food's better in Chania though!
Where is Portes? Sounds like I should check it out?
Address: Portou 48, Chania Old Town
Phone: 2821076261

There's only a few tables outside in the lane. Everything's Greek with a twist. I'll try to link to my Virtual Tourist tip tonight.

There you go: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/7445b/1ce/2/
Yes Crete would be a perfect destination for you whatever your age!! I've never been bored in Crete despite going pretty much every year. The weather is great and the beaches are amazing. When I go on holiday I must admit I just like to relax and lie on the beach with a good book. But I do know Crete has a lot to offer for people wanting some history. Last year I took my parents to Knossos (a palace) and Phaistos one of the most important centres of Minoan civilization. They had a great time, despite the boiling heat. Make sure you remember your camera though as there are some great picture opportunities!! I left mine in my hotel room!!
If your looking for a good place to stay as well, my parents loved the Istron Bay Hotel. They booked it with Tapesty Holidays.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.