Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
im hoping to go to Zante also next year, i also wondered if anyone had any info on which town to stay in and any general information about the place itself?
Having been to Samos in july and returned from Spain last night the prices are about the same. As for places to stay we stayed on Zante a few years ago and where very disapointed would recommend Crete, Rhodes,Santorini and Samos
16 of us were in zante last year staying in laganas its the biggest resort on the island and it was fantastic not one had anything bad to say about the place we booked with kosmar holidays and they are probably the best of all the operators that do greece,they only do smallish hotels but that way its not overrun with yobs,we stayed in the garden palace apts and it was brilliant clean and basic with a good pool in between two blocks its only a two minute walk to the main drag with pubs on the way then about another five minutes if you want to go to the other main drag with somthing there for everyone its been the most relaxing holiday that ive ever had but if you do one thing take the boat trip around the island just to see smuglers cove youll know it when you see it, its the picture thats in every broshur its the one with the sunken boat on the beach or better still hire a car and get some of the best photos youll ever take from above the cliff,s looking down to the cove, have a great time werever you go to on zante its just a brilliant place to go to . all the best jannie
Dear All,
This is my experience. Spain is cheaper than SOME parts of Greece i.e. Skiathos and Kefalonia. However Samos, Zante, Corfu, Lesbos are still cheaper than Spain.
Who Cares?!
I choose to visit a place for the people, the culture, the scenery, etc. If i pay an extra 50p for a beer/coffee it's not really an issue :shrug !
I agree. I would rather pay a bit extra and be somewhere I want to be rather than looking for the cheapest drinks and food when making the decision where to spend my holidays. :roll:
i agree with marcuschap72 and pargaluvva on this my parents have lived in spain for 11 years now and my personal opinion is that its going to the dogs with all the larger louts going there for there hols.
i also much prefere the Greek people to the Spanish
I've always preferred Greece to Spain, had some nice holidays in Spain mostly in winter months, found it to be cheaper than Greece but that was before the Euro now I think they are very much the same, My favourite Greek island is Kefalonia but it's not cheap but some Greek Islands are holding there prices quite well, but again it depends on what you are looking for and your age. We went to Zante in the early 80's it was not built up then and I really loved it but returning 4 years later although had a good holiday did not have the same appeal.
pojo
I find them both the same, i usually find the more remote a resort the cheaper the price for meals and drinks. it really depends what you want. a bar strip with prices similar to home or greek villages with small tavernas/cafes which i've found to be cheap.
I prefer Greece to Spain as well. As for Zante, Argassi or Lagana if you want it lively, Alikes or Alikanes for a quieter holiday. However, Kefalonia beats it hands down.
I paid £6:50p for two cans of coke at Dalaman airport last week. :cry:
Noggs that happens at most airports even in uk cause when you get through to departures your a captive audience, the only thing you can say is at least dick turpin wore a mask :?
I would consider zante prices to be in many cases dearer than at home ( I live oop north so maybe cheaper than down south)(returned on 13 oct)

Meals were excellent and about the same as at home for a pub meal, kids were cheaper.

coke, usually paying 1 euro a can and icecreams for kids aprox 2 euros and that was at supermarkets, you can find cheaper but you have to look hard. breakfast was about 3 or 4 euros, loaf of bread aprox 80 cents so def dearer than our morrisons and aprox 1 euro 20/40 for a croissant .

I think it is because these countries used to be so cheap that we still expect them to be ( me included) and now the euro has come in everything has gone up, I would love to not consider costs to eat/drink etc when going abroad but having 3 children and a low wage I have too :!:
For me Greece is still cheaper than Spain overall, Yes Skiathos and some of the other more "trendy and fashionable" places are getting expensive, but others are chaeper, and as is stated earlier in this thread, alot depends on personal preference! Having spent time in Greece (mostly) and Spain & the Balearics..... I know where I'd rather go....... Yammas!
Travelled to both Greece and Spain this summer. Don't think there was much to choose between them in terms of price. The more you go 'off the beaten track' and eat and drink where the locals do and not in tourist traps the prices fall, in both countrys.
I agree with the post from doepsmc do look where the locals eat and you will find drinks and meals cheaper and nicely cooked, we love Greece Kefalonia being one of our favourites once went late in October and the weather was not too good went to the Apolafsi in Kefalonia for lunch and asked Babis for something warmer than what was on the menu he brought us a lentil soup which the family ate it was gorgeouse cost minimal but then it was Drachma but about 3 years ago went to Fren ugaroli in Spain (although I did not like the place) we found a bar which every night was full of Spanish called Donny Bar
our two grandson who were learning Spanish at school could converse in the language which seemed to please the owner as they did not do much English it was so cheap and friendly helped make our holiday
pojo
Went to Costa del Sol in July. We paid 21 euros for 3 bottles of San Miguel on Nikki Beach but inland at Cazorla (which was absolutely out of this world) we could have had a 3 course meal for 2 for not much more. I know where I would rather be and not because it was cheaper!! Cazorla was 'real Spain'. But after saying that, I love Greece and if I had to choose, Greek mainland (Parga) wins everytime. Don't care how much anything costs :shock: Worth it just to be there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.