Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Island Escape
48 Posts
If you click on cruise reviews at top of HT home page you will find plenty of reviews for Island Escape. Not sure, but I think its the middle of April for the Thomsons sailings on it to start.
Thanks Vivien, have been on the reviews but the last post was for August last year, will keep my eyes peeled
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the only thing that put me off was the fact that there is a charge for waiter service in their restaurant. On the Celebration, Destiny, Spirit & Calypso there is no extra charge for waiter service & they all serve a superb selection of meals.
There is a charge in their "speciality" restaurant certainly. In the main restaurant (which is buffet style) the waiters will serve your meal to you from the buffet, if required. There is a certain area set aside for that, but they do not highlight/promote this facility!

Anyway, now that Thomson are the owners things should be in line with normal "Thomsn" practice.
I was a while back when we were on IE
The waiter area in the main dinning which had around 8 tables had it's own menu, some of the same stuff as on the speciality and some other items changed each day and were not part of the buffet selections.

This was the best place to eat so we did every meal we were onboard, no one else seemed to know about it.
menu food cooked to order and the buffet if wanted, very special attentive service since most times we were the only ones eating there.
I have just got the new Thomson 2010 cruise brochure and cannot see the Island Escape in it :que As it has been taken over by Thomson will the Free all inclusive drinks package for early bookings apply to this ship too?
We have been on the Destiny, Spirit and Celebration and apart from the tips to the waiting staff on our departure there was not alot of on board day to day expense (apart from the photos and items bought onboard). Can anyone tell me what sort of outlay we should expect or will it be like the other Thomson ships?
Island Escape is showing in the list of ships/itineraries sailing in 2010 on the Thomsons website - when you start the booking procedure, under the options page the inclusive drinks package is showing as no extra charge, so yes, it does seem to be available on there also.
I got the 2010 brochure and there is info about the Island Escape but you will get a more comprehensive coverage of the cabins etc if you get hold of a copy of the 2009 brochure- I got one last night and there is oodles of info.

Anyway i was so impressed with how much cheaper (£1400 for two as opposed to around £1800) this ship is than the other Thomson ships I have just booked for next May 2010 and got the all inclusive drinks package for free! The ship has less staff but if it isn't waiter service then I guess they can manage with less staff and hence the cheaper prices

Old Flopsy
I've looked again and found a tiny bit about it but only sailings until April 2010 :que
How does it compare to the Spirit/Celebration?
Not sure where you are looking but on the Thomson website, under cruises, it lists all the summer 2010 sailings on Island Escape, not just until April
I'm looking in the April 09 edition for Cruises 2009-summer 2010. Daughter says it's online but not in brochure :que
Hi Hibrac

Your daughter is correct- all the ships and cruises available up to Oct 2010 are visible on the Thomson website.There is a bit about the cabins on the website but much more in the Thomson brochure December 2008 edition which has a flasher on the (beige) front cover saying it 'now includes Island Cruises'.I got a copy this week to find out more about the ship.

But if you look at the Thomson brochure April 2009 edition (blue front cover) it has a showcase feature on Island Escape on page 27 but then it says to find out more get a copy of the Island Cruises brochure.I tried to get a copy of this in the travel agents but they told me 'oh that is finished- it's part of Thomson now' which wasn't much help!So maybe the brochure isn't available yet.

The best source of information about the ship is to look in the beige December 2008 brochure and then look at the website for details of the cruises.

Hope this helps!

You ask how this ship compares with Celebration etc.Well I am going on the Celebration for the first time next week so I will let you know what its like! I went on my first cruise last year- on the Emerald - and loved it.

Whilst on holiday in Minorca we went to Mahon one day and as we did a boat trip along the estuary we saw the Island Escape berthed in the port- we walked along side it and I thought wow that is a lovely ship- it looked huge and more modern than Thomsons other ships.Now I have booked to go on it next year so I am so excited lol.

Old Flopsy
Thanks Flopsy. I thought I was going gaga :rofl. I will go and get the Thomsons Dec 2008 brochure. Isn't this site wonderful :tup Anyone else able to give me a crit of the two ships..Celebration/Spirit v Island Escape and also Destiny v Island Escape.
Hi there

I just looked at Thomson website and you can now download a new Island C :) ruises brochure so thats just what I am doing next lol.

Old Flopsy
I have now picked up the beige brochure Flopsy. :tup Just need to find if someone can answer my questions in another thread and make my choice.
Went on Island Escape about 6 years ago and been on Island Star twice since. Excellent ships and fantastic cruises. Great food and fabulous entertainment. This was before Thompsons took over so hopefully it`s still as good.
old flopsy, have a great time.
:offtop
when you return would you please post about your experience on the celebration, as i am going in July and would be interested to see what you thought.. have read all the reviews and am just so excited.. like a little kid really aren't i??

M
:tongue
Island Cruise now have own brochure out. Had to ask in travel agents but it just covers the same as in the Thomsons Cruise brochure. Was on IE a couple of weeks ago, she hasn't change much although now owned by Thomsons.
Hi martyn414

Celebration Adriatic Explorer

I am back.What a wonderful cruise.The itinery is superb.I am posting several reviews about trips, shows, ship, staff etc, as soon as i can get them composed.

Watch this space...

Old Flopsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.