Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
island escape.
24 Posts
Smart shorts are fine, that's what hubby wore while we were on board. Normal 2 pin plug will be fine. You'll have a great time, hubby and I would love to go on the island escape again. Make sure you go to the a la carte restaurant one night as the food and service is out of this world. You do have to pay a supplement of £14.99 each for it though.
Thanks Glynis. Had a look but it didn't really tell us what we were looking for..
Thanks Marlou. Really looking forward to holiday. Mary will probably have loads more questions for you nearer the time if that's ok.
Thanks again
Garry
I was on the Island Escape last year, second time, it is very informal which is why I liked it - I had the AI drinks package thrown in for free when I booked 'Thomson were doing a special if I recall' - I'm not a big drinker but it still saved on my cocktails in the evening, and in the afternoon to be fair :cheers. Dress was casual some of the ladies in the evening made a special effort and captains party some wore their sparkly outfits, that didn't suit me and smart casual as most wore was fine too.

Hope you enjoy it.
Last year we went too Miss Pink and thoroughly enjoyed. Hubby would never feel comfortable on a "posh" cruise where he'd have to dress up all the time so this suited us to the ground. Only one evening we dressed really smart and that was on my birthday when we went to the a la carte restaurant. The rest of the time we were dressed smart/casual which was fine :tup Gary tell Mary to ask away :D
Yes I did enjoy it Marlou - I did prefer the Spirit though
It's the only cruise we've ever been on so have nothing to compare it with. Will definitely cruise again at some point :tup
Thanks Miss Pink. We don't like anything too posh either. I like to wear a nice top and trousers or things like that but Garry is more comfy in a nice shirt and shorts. Miss Pink is it right that you can't get coffee included in the drinks package. Read this on a review.
Thanks again
Mary
You do get coffee from the 'cafe' which is free but if you are a coffee drinker, which I am, I tried it once and no more it's weak as dishwater, they have a costa style coffee on board but that is not included in the drinks package from memory it was about £1.50 something like that, but I had to have that in the morning and they do all sorts cappachino, expresso that type of thing.

Forgot to ask what deck are you on? I was lucky enough to have a balcony on Golden which was lovely
don't know which deck but it's 7/8 or 9 as we got a free upgrade. Garry will just have to pay for his coffee then. Are there tea and coffee facilities in the rooms or would we be better taking our travel kettle.

Thanks again.
Mary
Hi Mary - They did not have any tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Also in certain cabins they did not have a hairdryer I did in golden and I think you might do in Emerald so worth bearing in mind depending what deck you are on.
Will take my own hairdryer and travel kettle then. Only just over 6 months to go not that i'm counting much lol.

Thanks
Mary
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - have a look at the reviews, I have put one on there Marlou has too and some since.
Hi, been back a week now so if you have any questions re Island Escape I'll try and answer them.

In our inside cabin on deck 4 midships we had one electric socket which was the American type (flat two pin) which luckily I had with me as I read on here it was European. The fact the onboard shop said their best selling item (and expensive) is the American style flat two pin plug convertor means I'm not the only one who got caught out (nearly).

Kettles aren't allowed in your cabin as they are a fire hazard.

Didn't have a hairdryer in our cabin but my brother did in their cabin which was a deluxe on deck 9.

The coffee in the restaurants isn't that good but there is the Cafe Brasil where you can get good coffee for £1.50 ish.

If you are thinking should we upgrade to a better cabin I wouldn't given the amount of time we spent in it. We showered, got changed and slept in it so was in there for minimal amount of time.

We had a great time on the Island Escape food was good but in the Oasis the food was very good. You do have to pay £15 each but it was worth it. They also did a £35 per couple special which included a bottle of wine. There was some confusion as to wether you have a starter or a soup course, we had both!!
Thanks for the update. If you haven't done so already, it would be appreciated if you could update our review site for the ship.
*Gingernick*
Thanks for the update. Did you notice if it had a refit as we were told it was in for one. I can't focus without a decent coffee so i'll have to pay i suppose. When we booked we were upgraded to either decks 7/8 or 9 so don't really know where we'll be. Only 4 months and 21 days to go.
Was check in at the port ok to get on to the ship? Does the ship have wifi?

Many thanks again

Garry
Garry when we went March 2011 check in to the ship was very easy and very quick.
Garry, be very careful if you use wifi if it is available on a ship as it is provided by satellite and VERY expensive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.