Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Jack Fruit
12 Posts
I spotted loads, didn`t have a clue what they were until I went to Mango house and Rob took me round the garden and showed me some , strange things they are.
Read the days, you can taste it and buy it , if you ask your taxi driver he may be able to point one out to you, a lot of people confuse bread fruit with jack fruit , bread fruit is round and jack fruit is more like a marrow more or less like Dorian ( spelling) but without the smell.

Alan
Thank you Alan. Can't wait to get back in January. :D
No problem Barrie,
It tastes nice, the only problem is trying to find a time to eat it when you are not going to have a few beers :lol: ,
:wave Hi everyone can any of you tell me the name of a fruit I got in a fruit basket at sun village :?: it looked like a kiwi same shape same skin but the fruit inside was brown . :shrug ......colleen
Barrie - You'd be able to see the trees but I wuldn't have thought there would be a Jack Fruit available as it's only just come into Jack Fruit Season (May/June). If you come to 'The Mango House' we have lots! (see the picture below), the ones in the picture aren't quite ready yet as they are still hard, when they're ripe they start to smell and and become soft. They have lots of big seeds in side with the fruit making a pod like structure around the seed. Apparenty you can also cook the seeds...

http://www.childrenwalkingtall.com/External/Jackfruit.jpg

As you can see from the picture they grow directly off the trunk. We have probably 100 fruits in the garden.. So I just hope the children enjoy them!!! They've had a few, we'll probably give the rest out to the slums...

IrishColleen - The fruit you're asking about is Chicku, it's not to my liking, we also have one of those in the garden but the monkeys ate them all before we got chance! :?
I like the chicku ... Rob, I guess you have to ripen it off the tree. nice an sweet. Don't like the Jackfruit cause it got a bit of sticky stuff on it.
DAK

The fruit you're asking about is Chicku, it's not to my liking, we also have one of those in the garden but the monkeys ate them all before we got chance!
Thank you Rob. Thats a great photo.
Glad to be of assistance.... :D There's LOADS of them in the garden... Don't know what we're going to do with them all....
:idea: Rob why not have a go at making jam.....and save me some for november .... :gluck
Hi I read your other post that mentioned Jam first and had no clue about it... It only became apparent when I read this one!!! :)

Not sure what it would be like... And It would be an AWFUL lot of jam!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.