Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Just Back-Dahab
11 Posts
Doctor's??????? hope it wasn't anything serious enough to spoil your trip!
Thanks! Nope bubby stepped on a sea anemone is it? the balck thin with long spikes. But all ok.. ! :lol:
I've heard quite a bit about Dahab but in all honesty never seriously considered it. Isn't it more of a 'backpackers' resort'?
I am glad someone else has asked. Where exactly is it? Have seen a couple of nice hotels there think one was a Hilton, which dosen't sound very backpackerish. Didn't like to show my ignorance. :roll:
My geography has never been that great but basically Dahab is about 1 hour south of Nuwiba, and then about 1.5 hours or so further south is Sharm El Sheikh. We loved Dahab especially because from what I have hear it is sort of opposite from Sharm ie. less tall buldings, more natural in terms of development, less major resorts and more chilled out (for different reasons!). We really loved it! I am no backpacker I love my showers and clean nice hotel rooms so I was a bit worried when we left.. however Dahab seems to have the best of all worlds really. There are some nice fancy resorts in the 'Laguna' area including Hilton, Swiss Inn I think, Ganet Sinai sort.. very beutiful places and the area boasts some great sandy beaches. The city of Dahab however offers a range of stays- from paying approx 2-5 GBP a night to about 30 GBP a night. You can stay at a backpacker style camp and many people do with the very basic faciltities ie. bed and a loo if yur lucky OR you can stay in places like we did which are somewhat like 3 star hotels. Some are clean others are not.
What's cool about Dahab is the cafe scene on the beach itself stretching out all over the town's beach. You have to see it to appreciate it. You can lie back all day long realx on the sea with great Arabic style cafes and great food- and relatively cheap if you haggle. You can haggle your way anywhere from hotel accomodation to 'set price' menus in the cafes.
Dahab has its reputation of being that chilled out smokers place- there is some of that but honestly I guess times are changing and the town itself is slowly changing to become more touristy so if I was you I would go now before it loses its special charms.
If you do go- make sure you eat fish at the 'Aruz el Bahar' Sea Bride- great fish (I think they supply all other restaruants in the town) and a fantastic cook. Again you can bargain on your meal. Our 3 large fishes plus salads etc. all cost 100 EP. Make sure you buy your dty free alocol coz not many places cater alcohol but you can take your own and drink it on the table- no charge.
We loved Dahab and will go back sometime soon!
Also, (how could I forget), its renowned for its coral and sealife- my husband is an avid fisherman! and I was worried he might get a bit bored if he doesn't get a small dose of fishing- HOWEVER after snorkeling (it's like watching Discovery Channel) even he didn't mind not harrassing the fish! Watch out for the black spiky thing though.. many of those. Lots of diving but dive with better equiped safer people.
In my opinion Dahab is much nicer than Sharm simply because it is unspoilt and much much cheaper.

We were there in August and had one of the best holidays we've ever had for lots of reasons!

We stayed in the Coral Coast Hotel which was simple but clean, air conditioning, plenty of hot water etc, charming and helpful staff, right on the beach and 10 minutes walk to the main 'street' full of cafes and shops. Most importantly is Bedouin owned and run and not owned by either an American/British or rich Egyptian company.

The whole place has a wonderful atmosphere, yes, more back packers than Sharm and not as many kids but with brilliant snorkelling and diving (cheaper than Sharm) what more could you want? OK, great food too, not too much hassling, no mozzies.

Tours into the Sinai Desert are less than half price from Sharm and you are much nearer Mount Sinai and the Coloured Canyons etc. Dahab wins every time and we will go back. We budgeted on what we had spent in Lesvos last year and came back with half our spending money ie two weeks in Dahab cost the same as one week in Greece!

But don't tell everyone it will ruin its charm..........
We booked with Aquatours but quite honestly there would be no need to go through an Agent. We only did as we were also booking diving and it was our first visit. I'm sure it would work out cheaper to book independently and as the staff were very efficient I would feel confident without an agent.
Flights to Sharm can be found easily and cheaply and although Aquatours provided transport to and from Dahab, taxis are easy to find and a price can be bartered!
Otherwise Aquatours provided nothing more than we could have found ourselves.
Tours into the Desert can also be booked from the hotel and there are plenty of other tour operators based in Dahab.
Diving schools are plentiful and most are PADI registered although I can recommend Fantasea who are based at the Coral Coast.
I'd be happy to do a review and have plenty of digital images I could send if you wanted!

bellaoz
:thanks for this one as well Briar.
Am still totally undecided as to what to do. Dahab certainly seems a more authentic destination than Sharm, but I am wondering if it might be a little be to much so for us. :? Wish I could get more reviews on the Meridien that would help, but so far a lost cause.
Rain... am I understanding correctly here, you even have to haggle for a set menu!! Dont know if I could be bothered with haggling with food plus everything else that you do on holiday. Thats one thing with El GOuna, its haggle/hassle free which for me takes the pain out of holidays, including taxis etc - its a set price. Of course some people enjoy that but cant be bothered personally!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.