America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Thanks Hi De Hi :tup

We took a tour to Niagara on the Thursday through the snow and saw the falls in all their glory. Ice in the river and all!

Now that's something I'd love to have seen!

Pippy :D
Can a mod put the Comfort Suites Downtown Toronto into the hotel list so that I can add a review.

Ta.
Update on the tax rebate thing. I have been in touch with the tax office in canada and they will refund tax paid before April 1st. Now I just have to check if they will accept my receipts as we were not able to get them stamped at customs as there was no-one to do it!
Hi de Hi
I'm hoping to get there someday- hubby wants to go over and run the marathon. I think I've read elsewhere about the large amount of beggars/homelessness in Toronto. Would you return?
Thanks for sharing :D

I would love to see Niagara Falls, maybe some day :)

Jaime c :wave
Yes I would return to Toronto but not for as long as a week. Or if it was that long I would hire a car to get about more. Canada is a big place and I would like to see more of it.

This holiday was a birthday treat for me off my wife and as we are all Ice Hockey fans it meant we could get really involved with the sport we love.
However if I went again I would choose warmer months (we had blizzards on 3 days) and forego the hockey.

As for the beggars. It is similar to the US. It seemes strange that a country so obviously wealthy has such a large number of destitute people.
I was told that Canada has a welfare system similar to the UK but the homeless in the cities choose not to participate in it! I was also told that many jobs have to be done by imported labour as the minimum wage (Can$8.00 per hour in Ontario) is less that what people can get on welfare and so they refuse to work! (Bit like over here in that respect). However unlike over here the welfare is means tested and for instance if an unemployed person owns a valuable car they have to sell it before they qualify for welfare. Certainly everywhere we looked in shops, restaurants, bars etc they had vacancy signs up.

The beggars are not agressive however and if you can steel your heart you can just walk by. The only unpleasant incident we had with a begger was when one of my sons put his accumulated loose change (about$3 in 1,5 and 10 cent coins) into a beggar's cup and the beggar complained about getting the change! Canada (or at least Toronto) is a pretty cosmopolitan place but the vast majority of the beggars are white males.
I have uploaded a bunch of my photos onto the site as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.