America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Supermum

We were in Toronto in May and we stayed at the Strathcona Hotel (York Street). It is 1 minute from the Union Station, 5 minutes from CN Tower. Very close to King Street - the street with loads of restaurants and theatres. It is opposite Tim Horton's coffee shop which is open 24 hours.
The hotel is in very good location but the rooms are very small. It was OK for us because we only slept there but some people like more space :)
Thankyou Zabka.

Have to say we are looking for a bit of Lux - this is a special break so stretching the budget. Having said that even some of the hotels with suites are not that expensive compared to the cost of hotels in UK cities.

There are so many to choose from and thats why I asked on HT. Will post when I have booked and when I return

Cheers

Supermum
Hi Zabka

If you'd like to post a review for the Strathcona, please do so HERE.

Many thanks :tup

Pippy :D
Stayed at The Sheraton centre in June.....it was great hotel in a good central location.

I had emailed them ahead asking for quiet room, high as poss with views away from lift and ice machine, also told them it was my partners 40th birthday. When we got there had a lovely bottle of red wine with a selection of Candian cheeses, crackers fruit and a birthday card. Great Room with good views across city hall.....and the bed.........agh........lovely..........The Sheraton sweet sleeper bed......it was beautiful! I booked through Canadian Affair and got a good price in my opinion.

Enjoy Toronto its a great place.
Sheraton Centre Toronto reviews HERE.

Definitely go for the Sheraton, the club rooms are well worth the money and you'll get lounge access too. (No free beer in their lounges though :( )
Agree, we stayed in the Sheraton in November and it was lovely. Ask for a room in the new refurbished block. We looked out over the city hall. The staff were lovely, it was always spotless, rooms clean and comfy and quiet, couldnt fault the place. Best part - the swimming pool - half indoors and half out, was weird swimming outside in the snow watching the steam coming off the pool. Staff are great, very very helpful tourism desk inside will give you any help, maps, book cars etc you need. Room service is fantastic.

Would definately stay here. Its also a great location and has the P.A.T.H system of pedestrian tunnels running underneath.

As for what to see and do...subway and trams etc. very cheap, buy a day pass, and very safe. We visited as much of Toronto as possible, the people are very nice. CN Tower of course, visible from the hotel, China Town, Little Italy, ate in the Pickle Barrel on Younge Street and also Baton Rouge in the Eaton Centre. By the way, this is close to the hotel.

I would definately stay there again without hesitation, I really really enjoyed my trip to Toronto, infact, I could live there I think!!!

Only negative side - it aint cheap!!! Watch out in the restaurants, they always add the tip, tax, and alcohol tax on at the end which can be between 15-18% of the total. Also in the shops, prices are displayed without tax. Dont eat in the hotel, it is expensive. There are loads of restaurants around however. The bar in the hotel was quite nice, always busy in the evenings, tvs, comfy chairs, and a nice JD and coke before bed.

If you want any detailed info email me *Edit to remove email address to protect member from spammers, please use PM facility. Thanks. Pippy* and we'll give you a full run down on the place but you will love it there.
Thank you so much Garyhoc for that excellent reply. I was only looking for hotel recommendation and now also have a great idea for places to eat, the hotel service and location as well as some things to be aware of. See this is what you get from HT members

Will let you know when I have booked and will post late Nov

Once again so helpful thankyou

Supermum
:thanks :lol:
Would agree its not as cheap as you think.

Do go to Mr Greenjeans at the top of the Eaton Centre for lunch, great eggspectations on Yonge for breakfast (must have one of their booster juices) and if you reall really want to push the boat out go to Ruth Chris steakhouse for melt in your mouth steaks........very expensive mind!

Don't bother eating at the 360 at top of cn tower, food was not that good and quite pricey.
Agree with the post above, Toronto I did find expensive. The tax always caught me out. Its too expensive to drink alcohol over there!! Agree about the CN tower, the menu is very overpriced so we didnt eat up there. We went mid afternoon and there were not many queues.

Just thinking what else I can tell you.

Oh yeah, take WARM clothes, we had a few days of snow, and the wind is really cold. Comfy shoes too, lots of walking to be done! Road saftey etc is excellent. Didnt feel threatened once, though walking far up Younge street late at night brings you to the strip clubs etc. and that did feel a little more risky, but no one bothered us.

Pickle Barrel defo the cheapest place I found to eat and great service. We also visited:

Hockey Hall of Fame - they have interactive games, dress up in the hockey gear and have a go at shooting and saving, also a museum there

We did the Rogers Stadium tour, well recommened, its next to the CN tower, very interesting

Travelled everywhere on the Subway, and the PATH system will take your breath away, to think there are so many shops under the ground, wow!

2 blocks up from the Sheraton is the Grehound bus station, we went to Niagara for I think £40 return each. Its around 2 hour coach ride, but comfy coaches with onboard loo's.

There is a 7/11 around the corner from the Sheraton, lovely cookies and donuts! Lots of homeless people on the streets, but they dont pester you and even wish you a good day, even if you dont give them cash.

Have a walk around the residential areas, up near the Baton Shoe museum, its very quiet, away from the bustle of the town, bit errie actually but you can see all the houses! Did the Royal Ontario museum too, interesting, free tours inside. I had my student badge on me and they even let me in cheap!!!

Nothing really I would say be wary of, by the way, if you like Coffee you will love Toronto. Everyone there has a coffee in thier hands. maybe to warm them up and there are Starbucks everywhere.

As for clothes, I took a wooly hat, gloves and a thick warm coat. You really did need it. We were there 2-3 week of Nov. You need a coat which will cover your neck as the wind chill can be quite bad. On occasion I would pull the hat down and my coat up, so only my eyes and nose would appear!!! Infact thinking about it, we took off in a snowstorm!

Oh yeah the airport... rubbish, its actually small inside, limited shops, duty free was a big disappointment so go prepared with drinks etc. for the flight home.
Thanks again I am printing off these posts so that I don't forget all of the info -
Supermum
We were there in August and stayed at the Sheraton, fantastic hotel. I had also e-mailed in advance and requested a room on a high floor with a view of City Hall and that was just what we got! Also told them the trip was to celebrate my 50th birthday and when we arrived they sent me up a chocolate cake and strawberries! Staff were great and the location was very central. Booked through Canadian Affair and paid £70 per night - beds were bliss!

Went to Harbourfront, took a ferry to Centre Island, visited Chinatown, Kensington Market, CN tower, Niagara (with Grayline tours), Eaton Centre. Also went to some fantastic restaurants, including Jump and Far Niente, both brilliant. Also try C'est What bar for the range of beers and food served until 2am.

I could live there too!!

Helen
Another vote for the Sheraton Centre! Stayed there last year and would certainly go back. Great location and good quality. Booked through Canadian Affair and paid around £60-£70 per room per night (family of 3).

I thought the eating out was inexpensive. There is a good steakhouse around the corner called the Keg, loads of nearby diners for breakfast, especially if you head south a couple of blocks towards the business/entertainment districts of King Street (Dunns on King Street did a great cooked breakfast for 3.99 CAN$ including coffee and toast about £2.00!). (King St West and Duncan St).
Booked hotel Staying at the Cambridge suites - got a good deal includes breakfast and a large suite so very roomy. The Sheraton came out much more expensive too. Hope we have picked a good hotel - positive reviews and centrally located. Will let you know when we get back.

Supermum
shearaton is great. central location, clean, shops onsite and massive bed-the most comfortable bed ull ever get in, esp after the walking all day.
also recommend their beauty salon on site- i had a french manicure,best one ever.
one tip, breakfast at the hotel was expensive so we walked underneath the shopping mall where theres plenty of dining options cheap.
The Cambridge Suites look like a good choice Supermum. They get really good reviews on tripadvisor.com and are in an excellent location very near to the Eaton Centre. They're also on the PATH system so you can walk underneath to loads of shops, cafe's, the Eaton Centre, the Subway etc.

Have a great time. :D
If anyone would like to post a review for the Cambridge Suites Hotel, Toronto, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Goind there for 8 nights first week in April. Any recomendations please?

Also I know it will be cold but can anyone hint on how cold? Will there be snow on the ground for instance?
It won't be too cold. Between 5 & 15 celcius I'd guess. Could be less, could be more, but it's not the worst time to go. You really need to see Niagra if possible, although it's quite expensive, and the CN tower in toronto is also a good see. Depending on seasons you ought to check out an ice hockey or basketball game too, to take in the culture :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.