Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi garyholc ... there is a dedicated topic for the Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort.

It might be best having a browse through it and posting any specific questions there, as some of those who have stayed at the complex may be subscribed to that topic.

There is also a topic about preventing tummy upsets, and some others about diving, snorkelling, etc.

David :wave
Hi Gary
we are in sharm the same time i have never been before and like you i am not a strong swimmer i don't know about the red sea but i did a dive when i was in Zante and found it o.k it was tireing but we had to swim out about 200mts from the shore normaly i can only manage about 2 width's of the local pool ,the fins do help and when i did it there was a guide who kept an eye on me.
I hope to try it myself while i am there it was fantastic in Zante and the fish there where nothing compared to whats in the red sea.
Maybe one of the experienced divers on the site can give us some more info.
regards
Mel :cheers
One of the standard requirements for scuba is that you are able to swim. Whenn you actually take the OW course to qualify, there is a set swimming task as part of it. casting my mind back I think it is swimming 400m..but it wasn't timed so you can pootle along at your leisure.
Scuba diving itself is very different to just dunking yourself underwater and it is not just a case of having air pumped in..the sensation is very strange to start with and if you are not confident in the water, you may struggle to adapt. I know this from experience as there were claw marks down the side of the pool where I tried to get out on my first ever go!!

The sea is pretty buoyant, but the whole point of diving is that you sink!! I would suggest that maybe you do a try dive in the pool of your hotel if it is a facility offered there. Many hotels in Egypt do have a diving school attached and they tout for business by giving out free lessons in the pool hoping that people get a taste for it and want to go further whilst on holiday. If you do want to try in the sea as a try dive, you have certainly picked one of the best destinations in the world to have a go in..The red sea is like divers paradise....
Thats how i did it in Zante they came to the hotel to give you a go in the pool.
I had tried it before in a pool with a local dive club where i live so i had done how to clear your mask and how to swap the mouthpiece underwater the funny thing is i have no fear of water but i just cannot seem to learn how to swim :scratch: it's frustrating because i would love to do a diving course

Mel
I only fear if I go out of my depth because I nearly drowned when I was 6. It took me until I was 18 to learn to swim, and I can swim 10-15 25m lengths of my local pool breast stroke ok, and I dont mind going underwater. I thought maybe with diving it doesnt matter you are out of your depth because you have air with you! I may speak to some people in the UK and try it in a local pool first. Thanks guys for your input.
I have just booked up to go here for 2weeks next July for my honeymoon, the hotels looks fab cant wait to go. Hope you have a great time, post on here whe you get back so I can see what i can look forward to hopefully!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.