Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Highlander,
Good to here you a nice holiday at the Bachata, we went with Thomson Riu Selection and were put in the Bachata on arrival, we were very pleased. Just a point about the evening meal....I believe when they ask you to eat at your own restaurant, they are only referring to the buffet restaurants. I could be wrong, perhaps someone else will have more information and confirm this. It would be helpful for me, as we are returning next year and staying in the Merengue this time.
Lorraine
We have recently returned from the Riu Merengue, we had our evening meals in our own buffet except from one night when we booked a speciality restaurant thinking this would be at the Merengue but was at the Bachata instead.

I must admit we did use the Bachata pool everyday as the pool at the merengue was quite dirty and the Bachata pool was much better.

Had a fantastic time at the Merengue but would book to stay at the Bachata if we go back to the DR.
Hi

As a Dom Rep frequent visitor my experience with luggage is that Thomsons ( but not First Choice ! ) bang on at length about excess baggage charges but at Punta Cana airport but the check-in staff don't care about it at all. They just want to get you processed asap. They even share weighing scales between 2 check-in operators which makes it virtually impossible to assign weight to individuals when both 2 unconnected passengers both have bags on the same set of scales.

I suspect it is just Thomson's instructions to their reps to try and keep the weight down for the return flight and hence save them a bit on fuel costs.

But then maybe I'm just an old cynic

Scubaman
now you mention it scubaman i did notice the shared scales in puerta plata, but did notice the scales that were shared with our check in desk said -4 kg and it was empty on both sides helpful for some people
Hi Highlander - We have booked up for a trip to the DR next November (22 Nov for 2 weeks - we'll be on Honeymoon) We are staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. Not too worried about the hotel - there are some great reviews - what about the weather - how was it for you in November?

Sounded like youhad a good time though. Although the flight seating plan is a bit odd - wee too have paid for Premium seats and would like to be sitting next to each other - I suppose it is somethig we will just have to wait and see about. :roll:

4 Jan and already on coundt down for November - nothing like wich my life away :o
Hi Fi Fi

If you are flying Britannia you can reserve actual seats by contacting them direct.

Unfortunately the same is not true for First Choice Airline who allocate seats in order of bookings receipt and you can't find out until you check in, but as you have booked them early you should be OK.

Scubaman
For further discussion regarding flights/airlines, please visit the Flights forum HERE.

Many Thanks.

Pippy :D
Thanks Pippy - will have a look at the link.

Thanks Scuba Man - we should be fine then - flying Britannia.

:lol:
The weather was really nice with the xception of 2-3 very wet days in the second week and it was very wet hard to tell the swimming pools from the grass verges lol
Im glad you enjoyed your stay there! :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.