Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Can't wait to hear all about your trip! You certainly got plenty of snow! We are going again in early March, this time for 5 days, so maybe we may get snow instead of rain if lucky! We go SkyEurope too so good to hear about them being fine too :D Love to hear your views and any tips, recommendations, too thanks! :P
Here's my report from our winter trip to Krakow and a link to some pictures:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/263514/index.html

We returned home from Krakow on 31st December after an interesting and very snowy 4 night break. We flew direct from Manchester to Krakow with SkyEurope, who seem a decent, budget airline. The flights were on time both ways, despite the weather and there was sufficient leg room on board. No refreshments were included but there was a trolley service available, though for the 2 and a half hour flight, we didn't need anything.

We picked up a taxi from outside the airport to the hotel, at a cost of 52 zloty (at the time of writing £1 = 5.5 zloty). We had booked the Hotel Senacki through Venere at a rate of 90 euros per night, but when we arrived at the hotel, we found that due to a problem with their system, they had overbooked and so had booked us into another hotel. My heart started to sink but I needn't have worried. They had booked us into the Hotel Pod Roza, only 2 minutes walk from the market square and a more expensive hotel than the Senacki. The extra cost and taxi transfer were paid for by the Senacki. Though the Hotel Pod Roza is in an old building, the decor is quite modern. Maybe not entirely to my more traditional tastes, but warm, comfortable and convenient and with a decent buffet breakfast.

It was snowing when we arrived in the evening of 27th and continued to snow all the next day, when we visited the castle. The Royal apartments were closed for renovation, as was the front entrance but we entered round the back of Wawel Hill and visited the state apartments, treasury and armoury and the cathedral, all of which were fascinating. We then spent the last part of the afternoon wandering round the stalls in the Cloth Hall and Christmas market in the main square.

When we woke up to find the sun was shining On 29th we postponed our visit the salt mine as it seemed a shame to waste the sunshine under the ground. We wandered all over town, venturing out to the Jewish quarter and walking back to the castle along the river. The old town is surrounded by a narrow belt of parkland, known as the Planty, which follows the lines of the original town walls of which only a small section remains. The Planty makes a pleasant place to stroll, away from the traffic and would be a lovely place to sit and relax in warmer weather.

We woke up on 30th to find it had been snowing again all night and was still coming down heavily. We headed off to catch the minibus to the Wieliczka Salt Mine, with run every 10 minutes or so from the stop opposite the main post office. It costs 2.5 zloty each way and you pay the driver on entry. Just check that you get one that goes right near the mine - our stopped on the main road, almost 1km walk away - not a problem usually but as there was about a foot of snow on the ground and it was still snowing, it was a bit hard going. The Salt Mine tour cost 44 zloty each, and for another 10 zloty, you can use your camera or video inside. The tour takes about 2 and a half hours and involves walking down around 400 steps - coming back up is by high speed but cramped miners lift. It was a fascinating tour and the size of some of the caverns is amazing. Apparently you can get married in the large chapel, which was beautifully carved with biblical stories in relief on the walls.

Eating out is not expensive - and can be very cheap indeed. Polish food can be very much based round meat and potatoes, though fish is also available and there were plenty of international restaurants of all types. We found various restaurants that we wanted to try from recommendations or had seen on http://www.inyourpocket.com We also were given the Krakow InYourPocket magazine at the hotel, which was very useful.

The first evening we ate in one of the Chlopskie Jadlo, peasant style restaurants - there are 4 of them around the town. The first we tried was full but the second, just off the town square, had plenty of space. The food is substantial portions of peasant fare. The pickled herring starter was delicious but big enough as a meal in itself and for main course I had potato pancakes topped with goulash. Another recommendation was Pod Aniolami (under the angels), so we tried to go there on the 2nd evening but it was full, so we booked for the following night and went instead to the Balaton, Hungarian restaurant which is next door. The food and service at the Balaton were very good and the prices very reasonable - about 100 zloty for 2 courses and drinks for the 2 of us. The next evening we went to Pod Aniolami and enjoyed it so much that we also booked again for our last night. The peirogi (Polish dumplings) made a delicious, if filling, starter - small dumplings with a thin, pancake like batter containing various fillings and not at all greasy or stodgy. I can also recommend the venison and wild boar steak. The venison was the most expensive dish on the menu at 64 zloty.

We found 3 full days was sufficient time to visit most places of interest to us, especially at this time of year, when it's difficult to sit and rest without finding a cafe, or somewhere warm to stop. Krakow copes remarkably well with the weather but we were very glad we took our walking boots, fleeces and thermals. Be aware that in winter many places close at 3pm, so an early start is advisable. Krakow may not be quite as spectacular as Prague but is an interesting and welcoming place to spend a few days.
:D Brilliant to see Krakow having its own place now thanks! Returning for our second visit early next month.
Have found this site where you can book a taxi to and from the airport, has anybody used them and if so are they ok? Do we need to book a taxi or can we pick one up from the airport easily enough and would it be cheaper doing it this way?

http://www.cracow-life.com/travel/taxi.php

Thanks

Polly
We just picked one up at the airport, there's a taxi rank right outside. They charged about £10 (about 55 zloty) for the 20 minute trip. Going back we got the hotel to order one for us and the cost was the same. From what I can gather, as long as they have a taxi sign on top of the car, they are OK.
I was in the Travel Agents ordering my polish money and asked about ATM's in Krakow just in case we ran out of money and was told that the machines are are all in Polish, hard to use, there are only 3 in the main square and that the charge to my bank account would be more than usual - is this true?

9 days until we go and it has given snow for the Saturday and Sunday :lol: :D

Ta

Polly
Hi Polly

We did use an ATM in the main square (didn't look for them elsewhere), there was an English language option and we were charged about £1.75. I think it was the German Bank but I'd have to check. I got most of my money before I went from M & S, good exchange rate and no commision and they had them in stock. Most restaurants, etc took credit cards.

Have a great time! :D
Well I'm back after few days in Krakow last week. Temperatures were below freezing but that made no difference, it was brilliant. We stayed at the Batory which was 10 minutes from centre and 10 from Kazimierz area. Comfortable, clean, excellent breakfast and dinner. First day we visited Castle (15 zloty) and Cathedral (5 zloty). Castle history very interesting - even had a French king at one stage. Beautiful decor well worth seeing. Afternoon we explored the Jewish Kazimierz area which is full of character and history. Auschwitz next day we took public bus at 8.40 from new bus station on Bosacka Street which has moved from west of the train station to east of it so be careful with old maps! You can also enter through rail station by going down stairs following autobus signs. Fare only 7 zloty each way and bring you outside entrance to Auschwitz.We spent hours there before walking to Birkenau because shuttle bus runs only April to October but its only 20/30 minute walk and gives you time to reflect on what you saw at Auschwitz. Again chilling but worth visiting to remember what happened for real. Next day Salt Mines(55 zloty) and minibus (2.5 zloty) this time right to entrance. English Tour at 10am lasting to about 12.30 - very interesting, jolly guide with excellent english and sense of humour!! Rest of time walked and walked and walked through old streets, by the River, through the Planty, stopping for coffee or Krupnik, wonderful all of it. Food everywhere, without exception, wonderful, cheap, but service was so polite, friendly and efficient as well. Got airport bus 192 cost 3 zloty (hour ticket) and included luggage. Prices are best I recall - maybe not exact but close! Still a bit tired but wanted to get this down before I forget bits. Its our second visit but its even better second time round!
We got back late on Wednesday night, we had a great time, Hotel Monople was good, rooms a bit on the basic side but clean and was in a good location. It was very cold and was snowing the day we left, there was still snow on the fields and grassed areas. Food and beer were cheap, we had a nice meal at a place called Sioux which was in the square, there was also an English pub in the square called Pit Bull which sold cider. We went on the trip to the salt mines which was very interesting and worth doing and we also went to Austwitz, very informative yet harrowing and moving trip, again well worth doing. We found a very nice market in which we bought loads of easter eggs for next to nothing. The main square is lovely and had loads of I must say very well fed but friendly pidgeons, also stalls selling flowers and flower arrangements, the flowers all had lovely bright and unusual colours.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend break. although have to say that after being to Prague and Amsterdam, Krakow is not as charming as these two cities.

Polly
Can you haggle on prices in the market square.?
What sort of shoes or boots are the best to wear in december time?
Do they have c/heating in the rooms in the hotels?
I didn't try haggling - I'm sure you could give it a try. Wear warm comfortable and waterproof boots - we had a foot of snow fall when we were there and the shopkeepers in the town centre were constantly trying to clear it, so there were piles of snow and puddles of slush to negotiate. The snow also got compressed and slippy where it wasn't cleared. Even if it doesn't snow, there are cobbled streets and I'd recommend comfortable shoes. Many restaurants are quite casual and we didn't feel out of place with our walking boots on. Our hotel room (Pod Roza) and all the restaurants were plenty warm enough .
OH insists we go to Krakow next half term with our children age 7 and 12. I have reservations. An invitation for you to blow my reservations away! Convince me that as a family, it is a good place to go.

With regard to food, neither of mine are fussy eaters and prefer a proper cooked meal with meat and veg rather than pizza and normal children's fare. How will they cope with Polish food? Excuse ignorance but I have no idea what Polish food is like!

And just how cold is it in February?

If anyone can recommend a decent child friendly, centrally located hotel, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks all.
The weather in Krakow in February could be below freezing and/or snowing - see the historical data or "trip planner" options on weather underground.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/12566.html

Polish food is of the wholesome meat and potato variety but often without too many fresh vegetables. We had good soups, goulash and meat dishes and loved the little pierogi - little dumplings with a variety of fillings. Fast food options are available for anyone who can't live without it.

The children would probably love the salt mines trip but the rest very much depends on their likes and dislikes - do they generally like city trips, castles, etc?
I need a cheap flight from birmingham if possible to krakow wheres the best place to look.We have to fit 4 days in between 27th oct - 4th nov.
What will the weather be like then?.
sleep, be quick, free flights ere on offer from Sky Europe from Birmingham for the period you are looking at. We've just paid £153 total for four of us to fly in February.

maria, my children loves castles and cities in general. They loved Paris, adored Barcelona, were fascinated by London and have enjoyed the smaller cities we have visited too. We've booked now and they are both looking forward to it and are both praying for snow! The local food sounds as though it will suit.

I've ordered my 'speak tourist Polish' CD today too!
Hi sleep_r_us - try http://www.skyeurope.com - they do flights to Krakow from both Manchester and Birmingham. At the moment they have a lot of zero fare deals. We used them from Manchester and they were good.

As for weather, see the weather underground link in my last post and look at the historical data for those dates.

Magster - we managed very well in English though I'm sure a few words of Polish will be much appreciated. For the salt mines, don't bother with an organised tour - busses run every 10 minutes from near the main post office and cost about 50p! Here's some pictures to whet your appetite - complete with snow:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/263514/index.html
Maria, thank you for your photo's. Absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to show them to my daughter when she returns home from school this evening.
is there a night life in krakow?

im thinking of going with some freinds, all aged around 25, is there much for us to do?
Can someone tell me how far Auschwitz is from Krakow? And is it easy to get to?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.