France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
We have already booked a Villa for the Languedoc for next year. We have been there in past years.

Most of the beaches are pretty nice and as you are not going in the main season then you should find the roads quieter than we did as we had problems getting into several coastal towns and when you did finally get in there was nowhere to park!

The Solar Furnace at Odiello in the Pyrenees is worth a visit if you are of a scientific bent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_furnace

Carcassone is a good day's visit, when we went there was jousting taking place.

The Canal du Midi is very pretty athough boat trips are quite expensive.

Just down the coast almost on the Spanish border the village of Collioure is very picturesque.

I would be interested for your recommendations when you return.
Thx Hi,
Carcassonne & Collioure are definites. Had thought of basing ourselves in Collioure but decided to be more 'central' to other places.

I'll let you know of any things/places we discover. Whereabouts is ur villa?
I second the Solar Furnace ... and it's on an attractive mountain setting. Fontfroide Abbey near Narbonne is also very charming and often quiet as it's off the beaten track.
toastedmallow wrote:
Thx Hi,
Carcassonne & Collioure are definites. Had thought of basing ourselves in Collioure but decided to be more 'central' to other places.

I'll let you know of any things/places we discover. Whereabouts is ur villa?

We will be at Paraza which is just to the North West of Narbonne.
  • Edited by Hi De Hi 2011-09-06 16:24:14
Thx again to you both...It seems a very interesting part of France with lots to do.....can't wait!! :sun2
A detour to visit the Abbaye de Fontfroide might interest you too ....
Beziers and Agde two good places to visit and they are only a 35km bike ride alongthe Canal Du Midi towpath
Carcassone is a long drive as is Collioure but both worth it especially Carcassone at night

http://www.francekeys.com/english/regions/languedoc_roussillon.shtml

is a useful website
The bike into Agde is probably a good idea as when we were last down there (2005ish) the trafic queue started 4 miles out of town and you couldn't actually get into the town.
Hi De Hi wrote:
The bike into Agde is probably a good idea as when we were last down there (2005ish) the trafic queue started 4 miles out of town and you couldn't actually get into the town.

We were in Portiragne and cycled everywhere in those days so the Canal path was brilliant a traffic free corridor between Beziers and Agde the kids loved it

And scrumping along the way too
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.