France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Languedoc
8 Posts
We did the area 2 years back. Easy to get to the A9 and N9 are pretty good roads. However off them and the roads can get clogged with traffic very easily. Several times we tried to get to other resorts only to hit the back of a traffic queue 4 miles out of the town and ended up doing a 3 point and returning to our campsite. If you get into a town be prepared either not to find anywhere left to park or be so far from the beach you might as well have walked in the first place!

If you are in the Perpignon area then a trip to Carcassone is well worth it. If you are of a scientific bent then take a drive up to Odello and see the Solar Furnace as featured in Bond films. It has a visitors centre and if you ask they will screen the video in English for you. We had a our own private screening with just the 4 of us in a theatre meant for about 150! Daft thing was is that we could have watched the French version and understood it.
Thanks Hi de Hi for the comments, thinking about driving down to Andorra during our visit, anybody have any thoughts about that at all?

Driving a French hire car as opposed to our own.

Phil.
Not done it myself but I think you drive up to Andorra not down. In fact up and up and then up some more! It may not look far on a map but the roads wind around mountains and valleys and you share them with Lorries.
Went to Andorra many years ago on a motorcycle from the Dordogne and went over the Hospitalat<sp> Pass, at the time it was very high to the extent that the motorcyle objected to the atmosphere if memory recalls.

My wife does not want to drive while in France so it is all down to me this time!

Phil.
We were in that area last summer at a friends' house and their advice (and that of most of the books) is not to bother with Andorra. The roads are very narrow and crowded and you spend more time sitting in a traffic jam than you do seeing anything.
From Perpignan it's worth taking a drive down the coast to Collioure. It's a pretty little coastal town with a castle and is worth a trip for lunch.
Hello there,
me and hubby just returned from this area of france we stayed in a place called olonzac near the canal de mudi had a b & b with a british couple absolutly great. never been to france for a holiday only the usual booze bus trip, i cant wait to return!!! only problem is the english channel, we did poole to st malo on the fast ferry, never again!!!!!! did the andorra trip while on holiday in spain its a long way. while in france can recommend a visit to narbonne lovely cathedral there, carcassonne is a must but dont go at the weekend its very busy, hire some cycles and ride along the canel de mudi you pass thru really pretty villages with the odd cave for wine tasting, boats can also be hired from place called homps, drive up to minerve lovely village for lunch, i could go on and on. have a happy holiday elaine :lol:
Just back from Argeles Sur mer, we drove to Andorra, it's a pretty scary drive up over the Pyrennees but the roads are good. The scenery is fantastic. Also went to Carcassonne, the castle is spectacular and we also went to a medieval joust show in the castle, everybody enjoyed that. I think you will enjoy any trip you take.

Tony
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.