Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
Links
9 Posts
Yes I would also like to know the answer to this question
The reason new members can't post links is to discourage spammers signing up and then posting links to their sites. It has been an effective way of stopping spam on the forums.

Announcing how many posts are to be made before a link can be posted is like comparing it to having an alarm system at home and then telling everybody what the code is to de-activate it.

Mark :)
I have to admit I find that a very strange explanation, and illustration, to justify the link restrictions.
Announcing how many posts are to be made before a link can be posted is like comparing it to having an alarm system at home and then telling everybody what the code is to de-activate it.

I have to admit I find that a very strange explanation, and illustration, to justify the link restrictions.

That seems a perfect analogy to me, why install a deterrent and then broadcast how to bypass it?

There are many new members with businesses that join HT with the sole intention of spamming and promoting their business, before they are able to post links and PM others they contribute a certain number of helpful and useful posts.
If we released the number of posts required they would go on a posting spree just so that they could use and abuse the PM system and insert a link for their own benefit.

There are a great deal of new members who spam but they are very rarely seen as the mods and admin intercept and ban them, all spammers will get banned.
Well said, Graham. We appreciate the efforts that the mods make to avoid spamming.
On the other hand you may discourage knowledgeable people from posting, if they can use another forum and promote their site at the same time.

Not all people who want a link in there signature are spammers, people who post a load of nonsense that is totally irrelevant to the post should be classed as spam. Not someone who can help another member by there knowledge of the subject in question and to prove their knowledge a link to their site lets that member judge for themselves.
On the other hand you may discourage knowledgeable people from posting, if they can use another forum and promote their site at the same time.

On the other hand, in this forum, we have plenty of knowledgeable people who are prepared to share their knowledge, who don't have anything to promote...no hidden agendas, nothing to gain whatsoever.

I for one, think this is how it should be.

Sanji
Fair point, Im just stating a link in the post shouldn't always set alarm bells ringing
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.