Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
local drinks
5 Posts
Boukha is a fig brandy. It's quite potent and a bit rough, in my view, to drink neat. Most people seem to prefer it with a mixer, such as coke. Experiment and see what you find best. But don't have too much - remember it's made from figs!!

Aniseed drinks are popular in Tunisia and a few are available, including Pernod. However, I'm not aware of there being a locally produced brand. That said, I hate all things aniseed so haven't tried looking for one.

Other drinks local to Tunisia are Thibarine, a date liqueur, which is very sweet and sticky and Cedratine, also a liqueur, made from lemons (although it doesn't taste that lemony - for instance like limoncello does). Cedratine is my favourite and I always bring a bottle back with me.

Celtia is the local beer - people seem to have mixed opinions on this. Most seem to find it rather weak.

Tunisia also produces a lot of it's own wine. I usually stick to rosé while I'm there, but always try to bring back some Vieux Magon, which is a lovely full bodied red. There is also a local sweet wine - Muscat de Tunisie.
thank you for the info, i will experiment with whats available on AI, not a beer drinker, normally just vodka but do like to try liqueurs and cocktails, my partner drinks rose wine and loves aniseed drinks. looking forward to trying other things food and drink
Do they locally produce spirits such as vodka in Tunisia? this is mainly what we would drink at home-with a mixer of course!
Hi,

I'm not aware of a locally produced vodka, but vodka will be available in most hotel and tourist bars, often with a choice of brands. Be sure to check the brand and price before you order though - prices can vary a lot and some can be very expensive. I made that mistake and ended up paying the equivalent of £5 for an Absolut vodka (before the price of the mixer was added) :yikes I'd be prepared for that in London but wasn't expecting it in Tunisia!

A.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.