France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Having recently returned from a week in Corsica, I cannot advise you on any specific precautions to take from the point of view of being a solo traveller of the fairer sex. Use your judgement as you would back home and you'll be fine.

OK - there's lots to see, but there is only a small railway track between Bastia and Ajaccio (via Corte) and Bastia and Calvi (via Porto Lecce). It's very slow but scenic. Otherwise you will have to rely on buses or, I would suggest hire a car so that you can get into the beautiful interior (try Holiday Autos) and use your time wisely.

If you have a search engine on your computer, the following towns have tourist offices and they can send you lots of literature about what to see and do and how to get around - Ajaccio, Bastia, Corte, Bonifacio, Porto Vecchio, Sartène, Calvi and Ile Rousse. Or you can contact the French National Tourist Board and ask them to send you the info.

If you are travelling in the Summer period, remember that the roads are very slow going (narrow and windy) and that parking is very hard in town centres!

But it's a wonderful island. You can get there by ferry from Marseilles, Toulon, and Nice in France or Genoa, Savona, Livorno, Citavecchia in Italy.

Ferry operators include SNCM, Corsica Ferries, Moby Lines and CMN. They all have their own websites, but are a bit crazy because their catalogues don't have any prices, and you can only get these if you type in a simulation on the actual website itself!!! (That frustrated me enormously.)

There are some seasonal charters from various UK airports, notably Stansted, and a twice-weekly BA service (run by GB airways on a sub-contract) from Gatwick to Bastia. (My inlaws couldn't get over having a hot breakfast served to them!!) Bastia and Ajaccio airports have their own websites too.

Hope this gives a good starting point .... there are plenty of cyclists discovering the island, but you've got to be incredibly fit to deal with the ups and downs!
Thanks very much for advice/help - will investigate all areas/websites.

Maybe bit vague on my original post (deliberately) as it is not me travelling but my 83 year old father!!! He is reasonably fit (for his age) and experienced travelling on his own (went to australia 2 years ago for 2 months) but he is a little bit worried as his stamina has deteriorated understandably, and can get tired quickly. He has all his marbles (as he puts it) but needs reassurance that he is doing the right thing, as corsica is a place he has always wanted to visit. He has booked a flight for June and we are trying to get him 1st couple of nights reasonable accommodation in Bastia to get him acclimatised. Once he is there, can suss the options out and go from there.

Is Corsica a safe place to travel alone (obviously most places have their no-go areas) but pick pockets, muggings etc??

Any other info will be read with interst

many thanks
alison
PS - he would like to do a couple of days here and couple of days there on b&b basis ideally to see as much of the island has he can, or is it easier to base at one place and take the train/bus (bike or car are obviously out of the question)

Is accommodation on this basis readily available??
Sorry to ask probably stupid questions, but he would like some ideas!
thans again
alison
Dear Alison,

Thanks for the further info. I have to say given the age of your dad, I would have concerns about the irregular transport system of the island, the sheer number of visitors chasing very expensive accommodation and the heat of August which is substantial. Could he not travel in mid-September once the schools are back, and the island is still beautiful and warm but without the complications of high season.

My in-laws are 78 and came with us, and certainly benefitted from the pre-booking of hotels of a certain standard of comfort.

What I would suggest is - a 14 day air ticket, 3 days in Ajaccio to acclimatise, a coach tour of the island for 8 days/7 nights or so (try Corsica Holidays, Ollandini, Corsica Tours or Fram - all have websites) followed by a further 3 days in Bastia using the train and a return to Ajaccio for a final night's stay before departure. OK he'll be accompanied usually by the French, but he'll get to see a lot of the island in airconditioned comfort, pre-booked comfortable accommodation and regular ('safe') meals. All he has to do is sit back and relax.

I recommend the Hotel Fesch (http://www.hotel-fesch.com) in Ajaccio. Centrally situated with effective airconditioning, comfortable rooms (TV has BBC World too), very reasonably priced with the kindest of staff who speak excellent English, we had a good stay there - breakfast until 11 am and a very short walk from the Little Train, the Port, and lots of cafes and restaurants. They can also help recommend restaurants for evening meals (they only do breakfast, but it's a good'un) and telephone to book ahead for him.

Please make sure your dad has his E111 as a minimum before he travels, and adequate medical insurance! I'm sure he wouldn't thank me for mentioning it, but .... better safe than sorry. Corsica is quite hilly and so maybe a comfortable walking stick might be useful, and to take the pace at his own speed with plenty of excuses to try the local speciality beers etc ... I recommend Pietra, a dark beer made with chestnuts and a wonderfully smooth after taste, and Colomba which is cloudy and contains herbs (deliciously refreshing). But of course there are plenty more to try!
Whoops - now see that he is planning to travel in June ... I think he should go for it! But do see if a tour operator will accept him for the 'land only' package. It's very rare that they wouldn't, but you'd need to ask specifically.

I would think that he would not have any particular worries for his personal security - but should take bank cards to withdraw cash as needed rather than loose bills. If he can leave a photocopy of his passport, E111 and tickets etc with you, you will both sleep easier!

Now you need to sort out the land tour, and he should have a great time. You can book the Fesch direct - we paid 77€ per room per night and a further 7 € for breakfast (hot drinks, orange juice, croissant, bread, butter, jam, yogurt and I think that was a good deal for French hotel breakfasts!!) Splendid service with a smile and lots of time for making the guests feel welcome, but efficient as well. The Fesch accepts payment by credit cards, and the website is accurate and helpful.
Alsacienne has given a lot of useful info. Try also the website http://www.corsica-isula.com which is in English. As regards the organised daily coach tours here on the island, the commentary will only be in French. If that is no problem, it is possible to arrange them from either Calvi or Ajaccio certainly and perhaps also from Bastia.

For your father, I think it would be a good idea to stay a few nights in Bastia (the airport is about 30 min. away) , then say a few nights in Calvi (which can be reached by train or by bus) and then perhaps a few nights in Ajaccio (also reachable by train or by bus). The Hotel Fesch is a good choice ( a friend of my daughter's is at the Reception). Your father could make day excursions (in French) with Ollandini to Bonifacio, and also to Piana and Porto plus other possibilities (the hotel will advise).

I'm starting a website which will eventually have its own address giving the bus times all over Corsica. Some times have been posted (BUT not yet thoroughly checked). Just to give an idea of what is available you can look at the temporary address: http://corsicaconnect.chez.tiscali.fr then press the button "corsicabus".

Wish him all the best.
thanks to you both for your very informative replies, will show him tonight and persuade him he is doing the right thing! I think he will be OK, as I said , he is a reasonably well seasoned traveller, but age has has slowed him down abit.! I must say he is braver than most people.
His French is pretty passable, as long as people speak clearly! (unfortunately (apologies) french tend to gabble!)
He has taken out insurance and is equipped with his mobile phone (!!).
As I said, we will look at websites etc later and if he has any questions, will post back.
Thanks again.
Alison
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.