Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Zantebear. Sorry I've only just seen your post but welcome to HT. As this will be your first visit to Tunisia I think a week will be perfect, because if you love it, as I do, you can go back again and check out more of the country which you won't have time for on this occasion. As you want to sightsee I think you may be best to base yourself in Sousse, as there is a good train, metro and bus service from there so you can explore fairly easily, Louages (shared taxis) are another cheap and easy way to get round the country/ It sounds as if you will be looking for b&b ss you want to eat out a lot and there are plenty of decent restaurants around, nearly all of which have prices displayed outside, so no nasty surprises. Transport is cheap though always ask the price of taxis first and 'negotiate' (haggle). It is difficult to say how much money you need as it depends on what you want to do and if you also want to shop. For shopping, unless you are in a 'fixed price' shop you are expected to haggle, and the same goes for things like boat trips unless you book with your rep at the hotel.

Most hotels have entertainment in the evening and the majority will welcome you even if you are not staying there. To start you off I would suggest you check out the Soula Centre (large fixed-price shop) to get an idea of prices then have a wander round the Medina to soak up the atmosphere and perhaps buy a few souvenirs. Whilst there, check out the Dar Essid Museum. a very old merchant's house by the Medina walls, well worth the 4 dinar (£2) entrance fee. Don't bother with the catacombs as until they have finished excavating there isn't much of interest to see. Take a trip to Port el Kantaoui, just down the road from Sousse to see all the boats which come from all round Europe and sit by the water having a drink or a meal, or go there in the evening and have a meal in one of the restaurants by the musical fountain.

The rep from the hotel will offer various trips but I would recommend you don't book immediately but see what you can do on your own, as not only does that work out cheaper but it gives you more flexibility. Whatever you do don't book the Medina trip with the rep as it's a waste of time and money. If, however, they are offering a trip to Medinat Alzhara, a sound a light show, it is well worth while, as unless it has changed since I went a few years ago it is difficult to get to independently. The Mausoleum of Habib Bourghiba at Monastir is another fantastic place to visit, and you can check out the port and Medina at Monastir at the same time.

Without knowing your specific interests it is difficult to know what to suggest but Tunisia is rich in history. If you want to fit in a 2 day visit to the Sahara this needs to be done on an organised trip, either with your rep or I booked direct with Saphir Voyages when I was in Tunisia. Tunis itself, the Bardo Museum and Carthage can be visited independently.

I hope this has whetted your appetite for Tunisia but don't hesitate to ask any other questions. I go out there twice a year and hope to be back in early November,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.