General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I suggest Port Soller (or sometimes known as Puerto Soller) in Majorca. It is in the most beautiful part of Majorca with the Tramontana mountains on the doorstep. You can get a tram from Port Soller into Soller and then an old train down to Palma which has history and culture in abundance.

We stayed at the Es Port Hotel in Port Soller - http://www.hotelesport.com
It is not the cheapest but has the most lovely grounds and is only a very short walk from the front of Port Soller. There are other hotels - just have a search. There are bars and restaurants along the front but it is most certainly not a rowdy resort. There are some very nice (posh) hotels and restaurants in the main town of Soller - but I think the Port is nicer.

If you wanted a Greek island then Samos is very lovely - certainly not a 'lager lout' type island. It does also have it's own airport!

Hope this helps.

Pippa
i know you mentioned balearics but what about mainland spain and Altea / Albir ? (costa blanca) nice and quiet in October
http://www.infocostablanca.com/uk/l%20altea.htm
What about Malta and Gozo?

Lovely little islands that fit your criteria..fantastic history, loads of interesting places to visit. Warm in October but not blazing like mid summer. Doesn't have a lager lout culture.
what about madeira, i havent been yet but going to book for 5 nights in dec and it looks lovely and ive only heard great reviews from everyone thats been, its really laid back and very scenic. easy jet are doing some very cheap flights and hotels arent too badly priced ive found a 4* thats only £148 and with flights of £158 for 2 thats about £153 each for 5 nights which i thought was very reasonable for what appears to sound lovely and decent weather all year round and would appear to fit your criteria
How about Menorca?

Just a 2 hour flight, easy place to drive about, lots of history, secluded beaches, good choice of restaurants, and not busy!!!
If you're going in October, you should be aware that some resorts are winding down or may already be closed at what is considered the end of their season.
Therefore, I would do some research and find out which resorts are considered as 12 month resorts, otherwise you may find that there is absolutely nothing to do.

If you're considering Spain, then I would look at mainland Spain and not the Balearics.

Sanji
I'm not sure about going to the Balerics in October either. Especially the end of October, it's not so much that it won't be blazing hot as you mentioned. it could actually be cold and possibly rain which would be so disappointing. These Islands are quite lush and green and its because of the amount of winter rainfall they get.

The Canaries are not all full of the type of folk you mention, their are upmarket hotels and resorts as well, you just need to check out a few brochures and check reviews carefully. Perhaps Costa Adjehe (sorry thats spelt wrong :oops: ) in Tenerife or Maspalomas or Puerto Morgan in Gran Canaria or Playa Blanca in Lanzarote.

Maybe the very south of Mainland Spain, Puerto Banus on the Costa del Sol, or Mojacar on the Costa Almeria.

Maderia sounds like a good idea as well.

You may need to be prepared for a quiet time as some places really slow down come the start of the winter season.
Have you thought of Cyprus?, I know its a longish flight away but the weather will still be really nice. Anywhere on the East coast would be best as most places stay open till the end of the year. And Cyprus isn`t all Ayia Napa and 18-30 holidays!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.