Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
take a look at the resort reports for Agia Pelagia we found that fairly quiet with a fair share of bars/tavernas

yasus
wizard
I know that many British people don't like the Aphrodite Beach Hotel at Gouves, but if you travel independently you are often allocated better rooms than those block booked by UK Tour Operators.

So, my suggestion is GOUVES - the bit by the sea, and also with a taxi, OLD GOUVES the other side of the main road which is a far more traditional village. Actually with car hire you can easily access Heraklion, and also the other lovely bits of inland Crete such as the Lassithi Plateau. And the Aphrodite Beach Hotel - sometimes called Aphrodite Beach Club has something for everyone, plus easy access to the beach and town .............. and their receptionist was quite happy to book me a hotel in Chania for 3 nights during my stay - speaking Greek is beyond me! Just my 2c worth!
I have to agree about Gouves - we drove through it many times on the way to Heraklion and wished we had stayed there instead of Stalis!!! As it was our first time in Crete we made the wrong decision on where to stay.

Next time we go back it will be Gouves for us - you are still in a good position to drive or take a trip to Spinalonga/Ag Nic and Elounda if you so desired - we did it last year and Spinalonga is well worth visiting, (as per the book the Island by Victoria Hislop!) - and Knossos isint far away either - well worth a visit if you havent been - but dont take an organised trip - either drive and pay at the door or even get a bus - much cheaper!
stayed several times in amoudara , which i thought was a lovely resort, dont get me wrong ive stayed in prettier more modern resorts, but the people here were great, probably as in all of crete, but its only 3/4 km west of heraklion, and i loved itps .. it was in the 1990s so its more than likely seen a lick of paint since then

have a good'n were ever you choose
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.