Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
I would recommend Stalis as a family resort. It's not exactly 'small' but it is family friendly and has a nice beach.
A taxi from the airport would probably be in the region of 45 euro and take approx. 30 minutes.

It is fairly 'English' in feel but plenty of typically Greek restaurants and tavernas.

Most accomodation in Stalis is pretty close to the beach but there are a couple of hotels/apartments which are situated above Stalis and would probably be about 20 minutes walk (longer going back as they are 'up a mountain') so check if you are booking.

Hope this helps.
Depends what you want really....its very very English, and be prepared for lots of 18 - 30s holiday makers especially in the high season, as Stalis does get the overspill from Malia. Its not the prettiest of resorts, with little or no Greek feel to the place, basically its a purpose build tourist resort , its got a nice sandy beach but this gets packed in the high season, with line upon line of sun loungers all facing the same way to maximise the sun.

There is also a road that runs parrallel with the beach, this gets really busy, I wouldnt fancy walking along here trying to hang on to a child. You get all the teenagers from Malia charging up and down this road on their mopeds. Either side of this road are some tavernas, and apartments but mostly bars and english pubs. Having said that lots of families return year after year, so each to their own..

I would look at staying somewhere like Sissi or Elounda if you want some where with a bit more Greek charm.
Yes Sissi Bay was nice when the OH and i went there a few years back

wizard
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

We certainly want somewhere more traditionally Greek and do not want English pubs and 18-30's club environments. We are not old farts by an means but when on holiday we want to relax and taste a little local life, spend days on the beach or by the pool, eat some nice seafood for lunch and stroll into the village/town for a traditional evening meal and sit and watch the world go by gently with no blaring thumping disco music or screaming drunken groups. The focus needs to be on family.

Another bonus would be somewhere where we can see some traditional architecture/ruins etc. (now we sound really boring!!).

Keep the recommendations coming!
Thanks folks
I dont think you sound boring....just my sort of holiday :-) I would suggest that you look at Sissi, Elounda and Agios Nikoloas all which tick your boxes, but if you want to catch the local buses to get around then I would go for either Elounda or Agios, you have to walk at least 20 mins to get to the main road to catch the bus if you want to stay in Sissi. All three would give you easy access to Herkalion where you could visit Knossos, ( 1hour from Elounda and Agios) and of course Spinalonga Island too - 5 mins from Elounda.

My suggestions would be to google Crete and look at the variety of historical places that you can visit, and then perhaps come back here to get some more information

Have fun seaching :-)
Whilst I don't disagree that Stalis has a few English/Irish bars and certainly isn't traditionally Greek, I have to disagree with the 18-30's comment.
We usually go in high season and although it's fairly lively it is usually couples and families. Can't say I've ever noticed the 18-30 crowd coming along from Malia! Why would they? They have all they need along there (shudder) ;)

That being said if it's peace and quiet you're seeking then maybe Sissi or Elounda would be better. Whatever you decide have a lovely holiday. :)
I dont think that the 18 - 30 crowd choose to go to Stalis but often get "put there" by their tour operators who tell them its part of Malia.... and during the high season the two resorts do merge into one another ....its a known fact in the tour industry that the overspill of Malia gets "put" in Stalis.
try aghia pelagia. Not too big. No English bars. Busy on weekends and late afternoons with Greeks but that's a price to pay for being close to Heraklion I'm afraid.
Really helpful, thank you. I was on the verge of booking Stallis but you have changed my mind, thanks again.
Another vote for Aghia Pelagia, a wonderful little place with a couple of REALLY good tavernas and a nice little beach
No idea what the beaches are like in hersonissos because i've never been before, but we go 7 weeks today. Can't wait. :)
Its been years since I was at Stalis. It wasn't an 18-30 resort then. It wasn't anything remotely like Malia but I suppose all places change.
Hersonissos- I only went there in the evening and we did walk along the beach road but just can't remember what the beach looked like. You are very close to Stalis and its worth having a day or evening there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.