Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
IMO: Unless you have a car, or are prepared for a long walk,or use the local buses.....
Los Alamos is too far out...easily a good 25 mins walking distance to Torremolinos town centre.
It took us 20 mins from Playamar.....all uphill.
The nearest hotels are Torremolinos Beach Club and the hotel Puente Real which are situated at the start of Playa de Los Alamos.
The area is really for the golfers and the nearby golf course, and there's not much else up that way

Sanji
Edit for typo error.
  • Edited by Sanji 2009-08-06 17:23:12
Thanks for the info Sanji its a great help as the villa owner says 10 min walk to center of torremolinos but i thought this was a bit optomistic. We are looking for a villa but within walking distance of either Fuengirola or Torromolinos which is virtually impossible (i suppose its obvious by the nature of villas)
Any idea if Benalmedena is a familly resort or more leant towards adults? We are a mixed party of adults children and older teenagers?
Thanks again
Jo
Hi Jo
You've got several different threads running, and I can find plenty of things for the 3 year old to do, but what do the 16 years old like.?
Give us a clue.

Sanji
Hi
Sorry im getting a bit over excited with all my posts.
The 16 year olds do like a bit of independance so i wouldnt really want to go anywhere too boisterous . There seems to be more villas nearer Benalmadena than the other two resorts but i suppose im asking is is Benalmedena ok for familys. Are there familly bars / restuaraunts there? I wouldnt want to go anywhere thats geared too much to the 20 somethings. Would there be play areas for the 3 yr old. Is it as familly orientated as i hear Fuengirola is?
Thanks Jo
It's a long time ago since I had a 16 year old, though I do remember that it's a terrible age to cater for...they are not quite adults and being able to legally drink and at the same time they hate being treat as children.
Are you saying.....
That you want a resort where you can let the 16 year old wander off and do whatever 16 year olds do these days, and feel reasonably safe.?
What would these 16 year olds be doing in the daytime, are they happy with the beach and visiting local attractions with you during the day, and at night sit in a restaurant/bar having a meal and a few drinks, or would they be wanting to go to a more lively place with or without adult supervision.?

Sanji
We have been going as a family for the last four years, our son is now ten and we have found the resorts of Torremollinos and Benalmadena very suitable for a family holiday. Lots of play areas on the beach all the way from one end to the other and lots of bars to get a drink along side them. There are quite a few amusments in Torremolinos on the beach front. There are 3 or 4 mini golf courses dotted around both towns. If they like theme parks Tiviolli world is in Arroya D Miel. Water park at Torremolinos and a Crododille farm. Selwo Marina and the cable carnext door to Paloma Park.

If they like to be more like adults they will love the cosmopolitan feel to the marina, there are also little rides and trampolines for the 3 years old.Some cool cocktail bars, boat trips, Sea life centre is in the Marina.

I am not keen on Fuengirola but I Love the zoo there.

Paloma park is our favorite place of all we love it, everyone in your party will be delighted with the birds and animals. We always get bread and carotts for the birds and rabbits.

Have a look at Sanjis videos they give a lovely view of Costa del sol.

And lastly, we love the area of Arroya, its a shopping area with places to eat and drink. We use the train alot on our visit and always stop off for a drink or a bite to eat.Have a look at villas here as it may be a good alternative. A bit out from Torremolinos but if close to the town there will be plenty todo on your door step ncludding Tiviolli
Hi
Thanks Christine that a great help.Was a bit worried Benalmedena would be quiter and nothing for the kids.
Sanji
The 16 yr olds do like a bit of unsupervised time and in the day they would like a busy beach with activities. We love sightseeing but the kids are typical Brits abroad they love Blackpool for example ! So would there be enough geared to them in Benalmedena?
My parents went to Benalmedena bout 10 yrs ago and said not much to do . I bet its changed since then.
Thanks again Sanji you know so much about the area

Can i also ask please .. There seems to be a lot of villas in the Torreblanca area of Fuengirola. Is this a resort area in itself? Is it a very long walk into fuengirola?would there be things to do on the beach area there? You are all being very patient with me thanks
Jo
The 16 yr olds do like a bit of unsupervised time and in the day they would like a busy beach with activities.

I'm going to suggest Torremolinos, but specifically the area near Benalmadena Puerto Marina on the Torremolinos side.
There's 2 kms of beach with pedalo's, bannana boat rides and these things like a gigantic lilo that the speedboats pull and they flip over, plus play areas dotted on the beach for the little one. You've got the nearby Benalmadena Marina if they want to go on a boat trip.
It's a very family orientated resort and I would let my 16 year old (if I had one) wander around the resort, I wouldn't let my 16 year old wander around Fuengirola.
I think you're going to be struggling finding a villa that's going to be close to the beach, Have you considered looking at a town house or a luxury/large apartment.?

The area around Arroyo or Montemar Alto is your best bet for a villa, but you are nowhere near the beach and it's going to be a trek back..... the train line runs away from the coast after Torremolinos and briefy drops back near the coast at Carvajal, before going inland again to drop back down as it approaches Santa Fe de Los Boliches.
There seems to be a lot of villas in the Torreblanca area of Fuengirola. Is this a resort area in itself? Is it a very long walk into fuengirola?would there be things to do on the beach area there?

In this order...
No, it's a residential area
A very long one indeed to the centre of Fuengirola.
No.
You'd need a car, otherwise you'll be dragging the kids to Torreblanca train station everyday to go anywhere or using the bus.

Sanji
Sanji
Thanks very much for you help and advice you have taken a lot of time to help.
Ive looked on the map at the area are you suggesting the Solymar area or at least that part of the coast ? If so i will look around there.

I have found a place in Fuengirola in a street (Calle Chaparros) very close to the Hotel Beatriz Palace and Spa next to the castle Sohail. Is this a much shorter walk to a main area in Fuengirola than staying in Torreblanca?
Thanks Again
Joanne
Hi Jo
My map is far too big to go under the scanner..... :cry:
We can't do Google maps in here. Try this.....
Click on the link below and click on MAP and then click underneath "open the larger version"
By using the zoom facilities on the left or double clicking when holding down the left mouse button, keep zooming into the area and by holding down the left mouse button you can drag the map around the page.

Keep double clicking and after each click relocate the red /white icon of TUI for the hotel Beatriz Palace on the bottom right hand side of the map..after a few clicks, you will see the location of Calle de Chaparros and the villas.
Put the slider on the 6th notch from the top and keeping the red/white icon on the bottom right, you will be able to drag the map around and see the port, where it says Reyes/Mercacentro..that is where the bus and train station is situated.

Walking time,? I would guess about 25 minutes ( it's a long time since I walked that way)
If you look beyond the port and Los Boliches, you can see that Torreblanca is just a residential area.
http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/costa-del-sol/fuengirola/hotels/hotel-beatriz-palace-and-spa.html

PS: Thomson have got a cheek saying the hotel Beatriz is in the heart of Fuengirola, mmmmm I would consider the heart of Fuengirola to be (more or less) where the train and bus station are situated....maybe they look at a different map to me. :shrug
Sanji
Do you know the name or anything about the man who dresses like Charlie Chaplin and plays I think a barrel organ by the Puerto Marina? He has been there for years and he stands for hours on end in the sun. He is lovely.
Hi Sanji

When you suggested this area as below

I'm going to suggest Torremolinos, but specifically the area near Benalmadena Puerto Marina on the Torremolinos side.
There's 2 kms of beach with pedalo's, bannana boat rides and these things like a gigantic lilo that the speedboats pull and they flip over, plus play areas dotted on the beach for the little one. You've got the nearby Benalmadena Marina if they want to go on a boat trip.
It's a very family orientated resort and I would let my 16 year old (if I had one) wander around the resort,

Would this adress below be in that arear?

Calle Don Juan Manuel , Montemar, Torremolinos i have found a place there would it meet our needs in your opinion?

Thanks again

Joanne :)
would it meet our needs in your opinion?

I'm glad you said that Joanne because remember it is only MY opinion and I'm very much biased on this area.
I know these villas, well when I say "I know them", I mean I know exactly where they are, we've walked past them many times, and I (we) walked past them in June when we were looking at the best way to get to the entrance of the nearby hotel La Luna Blanca for another member.

IMO: These villas are in a very good position and far exceed any of the others that you have asked about.
They are just the other side of the coastal road and walking from the Pez Espada (swordfish) roundabout, Calle Don Juan Manuel is the first street on your right going up the hill which leads off from the said roundabout.

Montemar is divided into Montemar-bajo below Avda Carlota Alessandri (coastal road) and Montemar-alto which is above the coastal road, and it can be a right up hill trek to some of these villas.
These villas on Calle Don Juan Manuel are at the bottom of Montemar-alto and one street back from Avda Carlota Alessandri........if that makes any sense.

These villas are ideally situated for the local buses, there is a bus stop near the swordfish roundabout, (heading for Fuengirola and other destinations), you'll have to cross the road on the nearby pelican crossing for the bus going to Torremolinos/Malaga.
But best of all, next to the bus stop on the villa side of the road, is a huge Mercadona Supermarket.

I feel as though I should tell you a little bit about the area......
Torremolinos (town centre) and Fuengirola are both 12 month working towns.
From the villa, (depending on which villa it is, because Calle Don Juan Manuel is a longish street) if you cross over the coastal road and head down to the beach, you are in an area of Torremolinos known as La Carihuela/Montemar.

On the promenade, facing the sea, if you walk right you will come to Benalmadena Puerto Marina, if you walk left you will come into La Carihuela village, which was a fishing village, so the big difference is that you are in a village and not a town.
You could walk for miles and never have to worry about traffic.....if you carry on walking left and around the headland, you will be in Bajondillo area of Torremolinos, with the town centre set high on the cliff.
But, it doesn't stop there, you can get a lot out of the nearby resorts.
A short bus ride or a 25 minute walk by the side of the road and you will be in Torremolinos town centre at town level, a short bus ride or a walk on the promenade passed the Puerto Marina and you can join the promenade on the Benalmadena side.

There is just so much to do for the kids and although it's going to cost, there's also the great beach for free.
EG:
Torremolinos Aquapark
Benalmadena Puerto Marina with boats trips and lively bars./discos
A walk into Benalmadena and when you get to the windmill roundabout, just off from the roundabout is one of the entrances to Paloma park, which is just a fabulous park at 200,000 sq metres, with the animals for the 3 year old.
In Arroyo de la Miel there's Tivoli world amusement Park.
The cable car ride to the top of Mount Calamorro next to Tivoli world.
Selwo Marine Park situated next to Paloma Park for the Dolphins, Sea Lions, Penquins etc.
Sea Life in Benalmadena Puerto Marina.
A bus ride into Fuengirola for the Zoo.

There are loads of restaurants/bars of different nationalities in the main street down in Carihuela village"¦.. there's Spanish, Chinese, Indian, British, Italian, Dutch etc.
When stood facing the hotel Pez Espada on Calle Salvador Allende, if you walk right along the road, you will eventually come to all the British/Irish bars.
La Carihuela is a really laid back family orientated resort, although on the promenade there are a couple of beach bars that are "lively". (El Horno and Playa Miguel)
There are plenty of shops and restaurants, and the main street in the village (Calle Bulto) is pedestrianised, so there's no worry about having a car up your back-end. :lol:

If you want discos and live entertainment, then Carihuela is not for you .....the discos and "lively" bars can be found in Benalmadena Marina, Torremolinos or Benalmadena itself.
If you want a family orientated laid back chill out place,(not dead) with plenty of bars to have a drink and several options within walking distance......IMO, go for it.
There are more people who fall in love with La Carihuela than those who don't, but don't take my word for it, just read some reviews around the internet, to get the idea.

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2009-08-08 21:00:35
Sanji

I cant thank you enough for the help and advice i searched long and hard for over a week to get a villa that will be right for us and having the help of someone who knows the area is great . Just before i read your last post i emailed the villa to book for early next july . i have seen photos and read reviews earlier today on the La Carihuela/Montemar and everyone loves it.
I just know my husband and myself will love the quieter more traditional area and yet just a short walk either way down the coast there will be the areas the 16yr olds will love. I just wish it was now im so looking forward to it already ! :tup

Joanne
ps How do i pronounce La Carihuela ? :rofl
Well, I suppose that's the job done then. :tup
I forgot to mention Parque La Bateria if you want to take the kids on the rowing boats, and there's an excellent play area for the little one....it's uphill, but not far from the villas.
Check out my videos, although some are getting ready for an update.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=87

And finally, a map always comes in handy.
Red ... Calle Don Juan Manuel.
Blue ... Pez Espada (swordfish) roundabout
Brown ...Bus stop and Supermarket
Green ...Pelican Crossing...it's a busy road, use the crossing every time.
Pink ... Hotel Pez Espada.
The puerto marina is self explanatory
Just passed number 20/22 on the map is Plaza del Remo and the start of La Carihuela village.
Walk around the headland and this will take you to Torremolinos (beach level)

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5015/joannev.jpg

How do i pronounce La Carihuela ?

Difficult to try and write it
You don't pronounce the letter H in Spanish
The "I" sounds like an eee.
The "U" is like the sound "who" and not like "you"
The "E" sounds like ay !
Put it altogether and it sounds summat like this.
La Car-eee-ooo-ay-lah

Have fun practising :D
Hi

Great map and info thanks. It helps you get a real feel for the area before you go and saves precious time whilst on holiday. Looks like all the kids will be well amused. Had a look at the pics and videos the area looks great
Can you recommend some good retuaraunts , places where the children are welcome and will not over charge us ? Also is there a cash machine/bank in the area or only in the town centers?

Thanks again
Joanne
I honestly cannot think of one single place in La Carihuela who will not welcome children.
If they didn't welcome children and considering the Spanish families will be there this month in their droves, they will be losing a lot of business during an already difficult time. ;-)

We're an old pair of fuddy duddies and still prefer Traveller's Cheques, so I haven't taken all that much notice of where the ATM's are in La Carihuela.
I know there's a BBVA Bank/ATM opposite (more or less) the bus stop/supermarket on Avda Carlota Alessandri ...I noticed it while waiting for the bus a long time ago, and it's still there.
Whilst we still use TC's, my OH takes a card as a "back-up", so finding/noticing the BBVA bank was part and parcel of his "emergency plans" :lol:

There's a Barclays Bank with an ATM in Plaza del Remo......I know because my son used the ATM in June.
There's the Banco de Andalucia down in Calle Bulto and another bank further down, which the name escapes me at the moment.
There will be more in Torremolinos.

Restaurants.? There's that many to chose from. It depends what you want and what you are willing to pay....I 'll have a good look in September, but as a general rule of thumb, if you want to eat in a Spanish restaurant and it's full of Spanish, then it must be good.

Sanji
Hi
Well i have paid my deposit on the villa so im sorted :) . (the villa is at the far right of the street as you look at the map ive since found out , furthest away from the roundabout)
I couldnt believe it but the holiday programme yesterday "wish you were here" was all about the area , i never normally see it. La Carihuela was highly recommended in the programme! All i need to do is sit back and wait ! (far too long)

Thanks
Joanne
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.