Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
First of all usually cancellations need to be confirmed in writing.

Secondly, as with all "low deposit" schemes, in the event of cancellation the full deposit is payable. It should've been somewhere in the small print.

Mark :)
So the onus was not on them to chase it up 8 weeks after the orginal booking when it was due?
As far as I understand, it is still a debt you owe to the Company. Whether they choose to chase the debt is irrelevant.

Thanks for the information.

Do you have any idea if we do pay it will we be able to claim it back from holiday insurance.

We have travel insurance through the police federation.
I would check the policy wording but I would have thought that you can claim it back (less any excess).

Thanks - will call them about it tomorrow
This is not a response to your query but just wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy.

Good luck with the insurance company.

Dave
I agree with the advice you've been given here. You are responsible for the debt of £180 as it was a low deposit you paid originally. However, you should be able to claim your deposit back minus the excess on your policy. You will probably need to produce doctor's evidence of your pregnancy. I hope you don't have too much of an excess on your insurance. Congrats on your pregnancy!
Hi Just thought i'd write an update.

I called the insurance they said we are covered and they will remburse us, but there is a £50 per person excess.

Still think Direct holidays should make it much clearer that the low deposit is not infact the deposit! Think it is all a bit of a con.

Jo
We have used Direct Holidays a couple of times in the recent past and had to book by telephone as we wanted AI and the hotel we wanted only showed half board on their website. They certainly explained on the phone that the low deposit was only part of the actual deposit ( I think it was only £1 per person one of the times) and that the full deposit would be payable and then the balance. It is also in their terms and conditions on their website. This is last years one:

Terms and Conditions: £30.00 low deposit: Available for all Summer Sun, Direct Select, Direct Greece and Tropical Escapes holidays departing 01 May to 31 October 2008. £30.00 deposit per person is payable at the time of booking. The balance of the full deposit (£120.00 for shorthaul and £150 for longhaul holidays) must be paid 8 weeks after booking. In the event of cancellation the full deposit must be paid. Guaranteed £100 per booking saving is available on all holidays departing 01 May to 31 October 2008 that have a minimum of 2 adults travelling per booking. There is a credit card charge of 2.5%. Full terms and conditions apply. Please see Extra Holiday Information. Direct Holidays 2007 . ATOL 1179. ABTA V6896

Pleased you're getting something back from the insurance and hope all goes well with your pregnancy.
Unfortunately this is the way that low deposit schemes work. All tour ops are the same. Glad you 'll get some of it back and congratulations! :gluck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.