Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I too hate long haul, but it's the price I pay to visit Vegas twice a year.

All I can suggest is that you take something like melatonin or Nightnurse to try and help you sleep on the flight. Failing that, there is always the entertainment system, Sudoku or other puzzles, reading. Being a smoker makes it twice as bad, but somehow I always manage the 10-11 hour flight and it is never as bad as I imagine it's going to be.

luci :wave
Luci, the Nightnurse is a good idea. I'd never have thought of that. I assume you can get it in tablet form.

This year when we flew long haul, I developed a migraine very shortly after take off. It was the longest 9 and a half hours ever as I didn't know where to put myself. Fortunately, you can now get Imigran at the chemist and that works for me if I can take it early enough.

I must admit I do get a bit bored after a while, but I don't think this is as bad as someone suffering because they need a cigarette. If I smoked, I think I would have to cover myself in those nicotine patches.
I'm rarely able to sleep on flights and the long haul overnight ones seem like torture. I usually take my MP3 player and listening to my favourite music helps to pass the time.
We have done quite a few long hauls now and, unless I can get some sleep, I am bored out of my mind. I can't seem to read or watch movies( well I can watch one but thats it). I just put down it as a necessary evil. Husband actually enjoys the flights.
I'm the same with reading on flights, normally I read loads of books but on planes I just can't seem to concentrate, I will read the same page a few times and then realise what I have read hasn't registered so I give up.
Mostly, I try to read my book but always get distracted. I also play around with the inflight entertainment system.

If we fly later in the day I find that after the evening meal, I am ready for a snooze but with everything going on around me, that isn't always easy to do.

One of the things I have found that helps on long haul flights is to wear a big eye mask. My lovely leopard print one is padded and is soft and came from Lakeland. It is much better than the ones you get in your pack on the plane as it blocks out a lot of the light. I have also a pair of ear plugs which also can help.

There was one time when I could not understand why I had so much light coming in under my eyemask. My o.h. had to point out that I was still wearing my glasses. Oh well, I could have put them on the top of my eyemask making me look even more daft :lol:
  • Edited by sydney 2007-09-03 12:16:36
Me I read books, watch a film, do a bit of programming on my notebook, get up walk about every hour and try not to put my healt at risk by falling asleep in a funny position (ie. sat in an uncomfy seat on a plane).
I actually enjoy the flights! I just make sure i dont have a watch on and that no-one tells me the time etc, otherwise i would clock-watch and that would be a nightmare!

I just find that watching whatever rubbish is on the tv helps pass the time.
On our recent trip to NZ I was dreading the flight. The outbound flight turned out to be ok and I managed to sleep a little and you could walk round the plane in a circle which lots of people were doing.
Coming back was completely different, I couldn't sleep couldn't get comfy and my ankles were swelling (I did have flight socks on). Walking about wasn't as easy. I watched all 3 LOTR films, played games, but couldn't concentrate on reading. I think I must have been the only one awake because the steward asked if I wanted a cup of tea and then he brought me a muffin. Just then my hubby woke and was really put out that he didn't have tea and a muffin :D
I would LOVE to go back to NZ, but it has put me off long haul a little bit.
My mum has just (in the last hour) taken off from Brisbane bound for Gatwick. She found the journey out there 3 weeks ago quite long and tiring and she said she didn't sleep much - probably cat napped. She is 83!!

Hopefully she will get a little sleep on the journey home - she did enjoy the moving map and the fact that she could play games on the IFE system - she flew with Emirates.

I would love to go - family out there but really don't fancy the long, long flight.

I think I would have to have a stopover somewhere like Singapore. Mum has done it in one long go - just a brief stop in Singapore and Dubai.

Will let you know how it went after she gets back tomorrow!

Pippa
Pippa

I've been wondering how your mum managed on her long trip, did she have any problems when she had to change planes?
I always have a stopover when I travel to OZ or New Zealand, I think I would be a total wreck if I didn't.
Good for your mum Pippa: long may she continue to enjoy her travels as she's an inspiration to all of us. I haven't done long haul for some years but when I did I was one of the lucky ones who could fall asleep easily. Coming back from Hongkong I dropped asleep about an hour into the flight and didn't wake up until we were over Germany and on the way back from New York I had to be woken up when we landed. :lol:
I wish I could sleep for the whole of the journey as that's the only thing that makes it bearable. If I sleep for 5 hours on an 11 hour flight, I think I'm doing well.

Judith,

Mum seemed to manage fine - when checking in at Gatwick the Emirates clerk said that if she thought she would need any help at either Dubai or Singapore just ask the cabin crew on board. She said there were plenty of assistants at Dubai so she appeared to have no problems.

One good thing that perhaps other airlines could adopt is that Emirates board those with children, disabilities and over 80's first.

Looking forward to seeing her tomorrow!!

Pippa
Thanks for all your tips everyone.

The reasons I am stressed out about this flight are:-

We have to be out of our cabin at 8am.
Transfer to Sao Paulo Airport. (which is a few hours drive)
The flight itself is a long one.
Then there is Frankfurt Airport. From what I have read, it is a large airport with lots of rules and regulations eg. no smoking areas, and plenty of security stops.

Now, I am 71 years old. Have walking difficulties (I use a walking frame) and I really need to be able to cope with Frankfurt. (Anyone know much about it?) I done't even know how far I will have to to get to baggage reclaim so that I can use my walker.

Our flight to Manchester arrives about 1300 hours. After that, we get the coach to Leeds where we will be picked up and taken home.

I only hope I have the stamina your Mum has Pippa. She must be a real go-getter.

Never heard of melatonin Luci. Can you enlighten me? It's difficult knowing what liquids you can take through different airports. It might be OK to take anything through Sao Paulo, but it might be confiscated at Frankfurt.

If we were flying direct to a UK airport, I would have a few drinks on the plane to help me sleep, but I dare't, with having to change.

Does any of what I have just said make any sense? Hope so.

:thanks Marn.
There is mention of Frankfurt airport in THIS TOPIC, but not really a lot of information.

I bought melatonin tablets in the US as I don't think you can get them in the UK. They are supposed to help you sleep and readjust to jetlage, but to be honest I haven't found them that useful. Google should bring up some information. Think I'll try the Nightnurse next time.

Perhaps you should ask for airport assistance if you have difficulty walking. We got this for my MIL, who can only walk short distances, and it was a God send at a busy airport.

Mikenmarn

If you are travelling with the same airline on both flights your cases should be checked through without you having to go to the baggage reclaim.
I have used Frankfurt Airport a few times and it is big and often you go through more than one security check.
The last time I used the airport to transit both my incoming and outgoing flights were with Lufthansa and from the same terminal so I didn't have to walk far. Hopefully you will have the same experience.
If you are really worried you could request airport assistance as Luci suggested.
I also have used the melatonin tablets that I purchased in the USA and Singapore, they were not approved for sale in the UK. I only find them useful when travelling East and I usually start taking them about three days before the flight. They have helped me in the past.
Hi Marn,

First off, contact your carrier and request disabled assistance at every stage of your journey. If you are with a single carrier this should be very easy but even if you're travelling with 2 different carriers they should both be able to provide it and tell you where any 'handover' will take place. You should be able to request wheelchair assistance from first check-in until final baggage reclaim in both directions. Make it clear whether you need not only the wheelchair but also someone to push it as well as any assistance with your baggage. Doing it this way means that you won't need your walker after check-in until you get to your final baggage reclaim.

If you would prefer not to do this (but I would strongly advise that you do - it really does make life easier and will probably get you pre-boarding etc too) then at check-in ask for your walker to be labelled and treated like a baby buggie. This means you will be able to keep it with you until actual boarding when the baggage handlers will take it and put it in the hold and on landing it will unloaded and be available immediately you disembark from the plane.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.